PDA

View Full Version : Samba not installing And Crazy PDF's Popping up.

hallcrash
10th May 2005, 01:55 AM
I am having a few issues with samba. It seems I can map a network NTFS drive using smb://1.1.1.1/myfolder but adding th line //1.1.1.1/Myfolder /mysharedfolder smbfs auto,user,rw,iocharset=utf8,username=un,password=p wd,fmask=775,dmask=775 0 0. to the the fstab file shows the folder in the "Computer" folder but i can not open it. I tried the to upgrade samba to 3.0.14a and I get a "The following packages could not be found on your system. Installation cannot continue until they are installed." with a few samba files mentioned. I am also having issues with the mouse Jumping allover the place and doing its own thing like switching virtual desktops and trying to download PDFs wich turn out to be ads. Its like of spyware but on fedora. ....

~~~Kick--Kick~~~

Evil_Genius
10th May 2005, 05:04 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but I thought NTFS will only mount as read only

hallcrash
10th May 2005, 12:26 PM
I did try it the other way. but should it matter? theres not even an error logged.

AndyGreen
10th May 2005, 12:40 PM
He's not mounting NTFS, he's mounting a Samba share. It happens to be NTFS on the remote server but that is of no interest to Fedora.

Is this a laptop? Some laptops have problems with battery management interfering with mouse communication. Turn off or reduce the polling rate of your battery using the tray app if so. What kind of mouse is it? A trackpad by any chance?

What happens when you try to look in /mysharedfolder ?

hallcrash
10th May 2005, 01:01 PM
Samba:
when I try to look in mysharedfolder lpgin as root nothing happens. no error displayed or logged.. nothing. if I logon as other than root I get the "only root can mount this share" error, that part is right I know.
Mouse:
and this is not a laptop but there is a KVM switch with a USB trackball with a USB to PS2 adaptor on it. but its not happening all the time. usualy only when firefox is open and I open say open office writer

AndyGreen
10th May 2005, 01:05 PM
You should try plugging the USB trackball + PS/2 adapter direct to the PC and see if the problem can be shown to be coming from the KVM switch.

Does

mount

show your share as mounted? If not then as root

mount /mysharedfolder

and try again.

hallcrash
10th May 2005, 01:13 PM
Ok. when I try to mount via the terminal I get 'Could not resolve mount point' error. ok. an error is good. now why is the error?

AndyGreen
10th May 2005, 01:20 PM
Does /mysharedfolder exist?

hallcrash
10th May 2005, 01:31 PM
on you got me there I was unaware of the need to add a blank mysharedfolder file untill just now. i would think that would be auto if the file dosnt exsist.
now a better error. 'SMB signing is mandatory and we have disabled it' I ask why would they do that?

AndyGreen
10th May 2005, 02:10 PM
Some new perversion from Server 2003. Your Google is as good as mine.

hallcrash
10th May 2005, 04:33 PM
well Samba says that "smbfs" is not supported and I shoud use "cifs" in its place but thats trowong another error.. mount error: can not change directory into mount target /mnt/mysharedfolder.. Im working on this crap now.. any tips?

hallcrash
10th May 2005, 04:44 PM
yeh got it working.. //1.1.1.1/Myfolder /mnt/mysharedfolder cifs username=user,password=pass,workgroup=workgroup,us er,ro 0 0.
and yes you ned a FOLDER in the mnt directory called mysharedfolder in this case.. thanks for the help