PDA

View Full Version : time on all FedoraForum posts 2 hours late?

robatino
13th April 2005, 03:45 AM
I am posting this at about 10:45 EDT, which is the same as 7:45 PDT. However, it will probably show up as 9:45 PDT which is 2 hours late. AFAIK all posts are affected the same way. Why is the time off by exactly 2 hours?

ianmac
13th April 2005, 03:56 AM
I saw your post at 7:51 PDT - 6 minutes after you made the post, give or take a minute or two. I always see my posts and replies immediately. Can you elaborate on what you mean?

robatino
13th April 2005, 03:59 AM
Well. on the dark blue bar above your post, it says "Today, 09:56 PM PDT" which is 2 hours after you actually posted - at least that's what I see, unless it has something to do with individual preference settings, which it shouldn't.

tbossert
13th April 2005, 04:02 AM
it looks individual, you might want to check your preferences

robatino
13th April 2005, 04:11 AM
I looked at my profile page at 11:04 EDT. At the bottom it says
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM PDT.
Now 11:04 EDT on April 12 is the same as 3:04 GMT on April 13, and 5 hours before that is indeed 10:04 PM - but GMT -5 is the correct offset for CDT, not PDT, so it should say 10:04 PM CDT. I don't see anything about individual preferences for time settings. In any case, even if there is an individual preference for time zone, it should at least show the correct time in whatever time zone it's using.

ewdi
13th April 2005, 04:36 AM
go to your profile and select your time zone, it's set based on tiome server and each account time zone is selected by user itself

robatino
13th April 2005, 04:45 AM
I found the date and time options under Quick Links/Edit Options. They were already set at the correct values - Time Zone set to (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time, and DST Correction Option set to automatic. I clicked on "Save Changes" anyway. Now it's showing the time correctly, except it still says PDT instead of EDT - so I'm posting this at 11:45 PM EDT, but it will say 11:45 PM PDT (for me, anyway).

robatino
13th April 2005, 04:49 AM
Prediction confirmed for my last post. Even ignoring the fact that it says PDT instead of EDT, it's still broken in that it shouldn't require the user to do anything to show the correct time in its chosen time zone.

robatino
13th April 2005, 06:05 AM
A little experimentation with the Options indicates that after manually saving settings for any time zone and DST detection setting, it will display the time correctly, except that it always claims that this time is PDT. If this can't be set correctly, it should just be left out.

Mat
15th April 2005, 12:14 AM
same with me..

time is correct, but always displayed as PDT
heck, I don't even know zone that is :)

Mat

robatino
15th April 2005, 12:27 AM
Pacific Daylight Time (Daylight Savings Time in the Pacific time zone). Whoever programmed this probably lives in California and programmed it to toggle between PST and PDT depending on whether Daylight Savings is in effect, and most people don't care as long as the numerical value is correct for their time zone. Of course, if someone hasn't set their time zone in the Options yet, it's displaying basically a random time since it doesn't agree with local time, and for me it didn't even agree with Pacific time!

Mat
15th April 2005, 11:18 AM
I'm using GMT+1 and the time is correct (it even figured out daylight saving on its own)

and just still states that it is a PDT time..

Mat

Goiania Photos on Instagram - Swaziland - Kingston Travel Photos -