PDA

View Full Version : XMMS, Music Player

ptrbtz
11th April 2005, 04:37 PM
Hi, I just installed Fedora Core 4

Everything seems to run fine, but I still have some problems with the sound

1.) XMMS can only play sound files when I'm logged in as root
When I'm logged in as a normal user, XMMS hangs, can't open sound device.

2.) Music Player same problem. As root, everything is fine, as normal user it says: ALSA device "default" already in use by other program

I need some help, because I have only small experience with Linux.

Thanks,
Peter

cybrjackle
12th April 2005, 02:17 PM
What audio card do you have

/sbin/lspci | grep -i audio

Just a note, if you have small experience with Linux, you might want to give fc3 a try instead of a devel branch.

ptrbtz
13th April 2005, 04:52 PM
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce Audio Processing Unit (rev a2)
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)

Two audio cards. One is internal on the nforce2 board, second is a Terratec EWS88MT
By the way: The system sounds are working well. I am using the onboard sound card as default.

And... well YES maybe I should try fc3, but everything works fine with fc4, Scanner, Printer, even my Webcam.
I thought, maybe we can solve this little problem easily.

ptrbtz
13th April 2005, 05:21 PM
One more thing I would like to add. The problem only exists with GNOME. Logged in as a normal user with KDE environment and sound is okay with XMMS. Hmmm......

cybrjackle
13th April 2005, 06:12 PM
One more thing I would like to add. The problem only exists with GNOME. Logged in as a normal user with KDE environment and sound is okay with XMMS. Hmmm......

That is interesting, if it works everywere but in gnome as user, I would look through

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/

If you don't see anything to do with *gnome/sound/xmms I would file a bug.