PDA

View Full Version : FedoraForum Is Now The Official Community Support Forums of The Fedora Project

Ug
4th April 2005, 08:28 PM
We're pleased to announce that FedoraForum, has now been designated as the official support forums for the Fedora Project. Warren Togami stated on his blog (http://www.livejournal.com/users/wtogami/) today that the decision "...has been made by comittee [Fedora Committee] because of the many advantages web forums have over mailing lists in support of end-users."The advantages for users are: One official centralised location for support , allowing for the best possible pooling of resources. Increased number of members, leading to an increase in the amount of knowledge available, as a result of the more prominent position in the Fedora community. More developer-user interactionWhich will allow for users to communicate with greater ease with the developers of Fedora. An official recognition of the growing Fedora user community.We hope that are you are as pleased about this development as we are!

I'd like to thank everybody who has been involved with the forum over the last 14 months, it has been an astounding success so far and one that is surely set to continue.

fc_jeff
4th April 2005, 08:43 PM
Good news! One, FedoraForum deserves this designation, and two, this will attract more attention to FedoraForum, including Fedora maintainers.

foolish
4th April 2005, 08:48 PM
Here's the announcement from the fedora-announce mailing list: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2005-April/msg00002.html

And might I add: Woho!

jcstille
4th April 2005, 08:50 PM
I would also like to thank everyone involved for their hard work. The community managers here are some of the best I have known. The users are always quick on support and try to maintain this user driven community. Everyone here works for the betterment of Fedora and we must all appreciate what a unique community we have here.

This is good news.

pdk001
4th April 2005, 09:01 PM
good news for fedora users

dhoffman2004
4th April 2005, 09:05 PM
I have often answered questions on the fedora-list mailing list, and occasionally ask a few questions too. I just signed up with an account here and I hope to be able to continue helping others, and hope to get help when I need it.

So today I get the announcement about fedoraforum.org being named as the official site for the fedora community. Well, you would think this is a good thing, and I certainly hope it is as well...

But I'm not so sure about why they are leaving the fedora mailing list in place if they want to make this official. The list has been getting hammered over the past several months by people who can't figure out how to search archives to find answers to questions that have been posted dozens of times, and have no clue about how to interact with people on a message list in any civil form... And now, they have two places to do it.

I'm skeptical, but I'll here for the ride, and hope the best comes out of it.

Jman
4th April 2005, 09:25 PM
But I'm not so sure about why they are leaving the fedora mailing list in place if they want to make this official. The list has been getting hammered over the past several months by people who can't figure out how to search archives to find answers to questions that have been posted dozens of times, and have no clue about how to interact with people on a message list in any civil form... And now, they have two places to do it.
Maybe these people can figure out a web forum easier.

Also, there are people who despise web forums (why I don't know). They still have their lists if they prefer, or IRC. It's all about choice.

Thanks to all who made this possible by answering questions. Your work is appreciated.

ianmac
4th April 2005, 10:11 PM
YAY!!! This is sooo cool!

LeslieL
4th April 2005, 10:50 PM
Great. I've found this forum so very useful, I'm glad others will be encouraged to use it.
I sort of wish the search feature was a little better. I'd like it to have AND and OR logic available. But never mind - Google covers this forum very well, so if I have more than a simple one-word question I'll use google instead.
I appreciate the non-judgemental helpful attitude I usually see here. Some of what's been going on in the fedora mail list has been aggravated by peevish comments from the experts, half of whom are more knowledgeable than the other half.

kosmosik
4th April 2005, 10:52 PM
Gratulations...

Finalzone
4th April 2005, 10:56 PM
!Toast!
When I saw Warren Togami posts on this forum, I felt Fedora team will be actively involved. That further enhance the meaning of Fedora as a community project. I am really glad to join this board.

Clunixchit
4th April 2005, 10:57 PM
This is a sign of ACHIEVEMENT !!! as for me, fedoraforum helped me to be comfortable on linux

ghaefb
4th April 2005, 11:08 PM
This is amazing people !

Congratulations to ewdi, who made it all possible :)

Shadow Skill
4th April 2005, 11:21 PM
That's great news I am surprised it did not happen sooner.

jim
4th April 2005, 11:32 PM
I have often answered questions on the fedora-list mailing list, and occasionally ask a few questions too. I just signed up with an account here and I hope to be able to continue helping others, and hope to get help when I need it.

So today I get the announcement about fedoraforum.org being named as the official site for the fedora community. Well, you would think this is a good thing, and I certainly hope it is as well...

I'm skeptical, but I'll here for the ride, and hope the best comes out of it.

I wasin the same situation and got sick of the bashing back and forth, Lets all hope that we can get along and help the Nooobies as they now will roll in.

But I have to say Congrats to the forum!!!! I enjoy being here and helping others along the way..

toracat
4th April 2005, 11:33 PM
I couldn't resist adding myself to this long list of Congratulations!

the_profiler
4th April 2005, 11:33 PM
terrific! actually, i expected that this would really happen.. why? because this forum is the most detailed one (regarding Fedora exclusively) that contains a very big knowledge base.. and very efficient. :cool:

ghenry
4th April 2005, 11:47 PM
At last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sailor
4th April 2005, 11:51 PM
WooHoo!...I wish to express my congradulations to all the staff and members of this forum...it could not have been done without all of you!
:D

jtang613
5th April 2005, 03:39 AM
I'd like to thank all the Admins, mods and managers -- as well as all those dedicated regulars (you know who you are) who have made this forum such a great success.

I'd also like to thank the Fedora developement community for producing such a great distro -- and having the foresight to recognize FedoraForum.org's continuing contribution.

See you in the trenches.
Jason

marcos
5th April 2005, 03:43 AM

I believe this is an important remark. Anyway, we've got to develop some strategies to deal with these people. We should promote the reading of the guidelines and encourage people to search for its doubts answears before posting a duplicate question. I know is hard sometimes to tell someone its question had been already replied many times before without seeming harsh.

Trendkill
5th April 2005, 04:08 AM
im actually suprised, this is definately a step in the right direction. by viewing the forums alone should help prevent bugs in new versions of fc, and make it a really top linux O/S.. well it already is but yeah

wanna hear a enlightening story? last night, my girlfriend, a winxp user, wanted to use my scanner at my place, so i let her over to scan. i had fedora core 3 booted up with the default bluecurve theme, and she was impressed how easy it was to scan things and burn a cd in linux... and she isnt a technical person at all.. point being, i really do feel fc3 ease of use is getting to a point where it really could be a user-friendly alternative to windows for people who know nothing about pc's. compare that to what linux was 3 years ago and its a major step..

anyway, thats kinda o/t, glad to see this forum is now the official one for fedora, it deserves it and has brought me nothing but good solid help since my fc3 installation

rayyes
5th April 2005, 04:25 AM
many congrats to the mods/user of this great forum!

jadams
5th April 2005, 07:14 AM
I must say that I approve, and congratulations are deserved. Since I have been messing around with Fedora, almost all the answers to problems that I have had have been obtained here. Thank You!

Lopov
5th April 2005, 09:22 AM
We're pleased to announce that FedoraForum, has now been designated as the official support forums for the Fedora Project. Warren Togami stated on his blog (http://www.livejournal.com/users/wtogami/) today that the decision "...has been made by comittee [Fedora Committee] because of the many advantages web forums have over mailing lists in support of end-users."The advantages for users are: One official centralised location for support , allowing for the best possible pooling of resources. Increased number of members, leading to an increase in the amount of knowledge available, as a result of the more prominent position in the Fedora community. More developer-user interactionWhich will allow for users to communicate with greater ease with the developers of Fedora. An official recognition of the growing Fedora user community.We hope that are you are as pleased about this development as we are!

I'd like to thank everybody who has been involved with the forum over the last 14 months, it has been an astounding success so far and one that is surely set to continue.

Congratulations, you truly deserve it. :)

lvansteen
5th April 2005, 09:36 AM
Congratulations to everyone.

I find this forum an high quality support site and professionally managed!

Keep up the good work.

Ug
5th April 2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks all.

Ned
5th April 2005, 10:17 AM
I saw Warren's announcement yesterday - good job everyone :)

And best of luck!

Ned

WebWind
5th April 2005, 10:22 AM
Congratulations!

Great news.

Thanks all forum members for their posts, that help me solve my problems and find a lot of answers. :)

jgionet
5th April 2005, 01:29 PM
woohoo.. I knew I was at the right place when I started using Fedora! Way to go!
Now we can start making the millions!! (yeah right) ;)

the_profiler
5th April 2005, 03:58 PM
woohoo.. I knew I was at the right place when I started using Fedora! Way to go!
Now we can start making the millions!! (yeah right) ;)

like.. say.. have a Fedora shirt? :D

tiberiu
5th April 2005, 05:41 PM
Congratulations!

This day GOOD news!

:)

erwinquita
6th April 2005, 07:03 AM
Congratz!

This form has help me a lot in so many ways... I'm glad and hope that it is here to stay....

more power! :)

Erwin Quita
www.ibatayo.com
Pinoy N-Gagers forum and community

imdeemvp
6th April 2005, 08:21 AM
Edwi is the man.....and so is everyone else that participates.

thiyagu
6th April 2005, 11:45 AM
Yes, very good news.
Let's start! we r going to change the world thro' Open Source Systems

roolegion
6th April 2005, 12:25 PM
I like the idea that this forum has had some official recognition. It has been a boon for helping the newbie and I have been more relaxed in using Fedora even more since I have been coming here.

Well done to you all, out there.

hotfixus
6th April 2005, 12:48 PM
Great news !!!!
Cogratulations.

crossfire
6th April 2005, 09:30 PM
Congratulations!!

I think itīs time to change to a new logo... :)

engwnbie
6th April 2005, 10:06 PM
Ug this is great and thanks for putting a great site and team together. Carry on.

Paul_Vandenberg
7th April 2005, 06:36 PM
This is great. I dropped off the mailing list long ago because of the traffice. I find this forum much more efficient in finding info without your mail box being flooded.

Kudos to all involved!

jwong78
7th April 2005, 07:05 PM
Well done to the team of FedoraForums.org and all that have contributed to it. I'm a newbie to linux (first installation in December) and this site has been a great source of help with all the problems I've come across.

Anyway thanks again to the community for solving my problems in the past and in future.

Keep up the good work.

ieuuk
8th April 2005, 11:15 PM
well done all... this forum does nothing but grow and grow, and always manages to answer my supporting needs

fc-cornette
8th April 2005, 11:46 PM
It will take some getting used to forums and navigating through the system. I do believe that this will help those that can give or get help out with this alternative. Since the forum is now official, I guess the mailing list is the "alternative" now.

Jim

ieuuk
8th April 2005, 11:50 PM
i've never tried using the mailing list... even though i am signed up for the updates mailing list for what new packages there are etc

bbbush
12th April 2005, 05:06 AM
http://www.linuxsir.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=40
http://fedora.linuxsir.org/main
I think chinese users should come here.
我们是 fedora/redhat 的中文用户组

the linuxsir (http://www.linuxsir.org) forum has his 3rd birthday today, and there was a "redhat" board since the beginning. Until now there are approximately 22,000 topics und 110,000 posts, (a bit more than debian :) ) and is still very active. Thank you fedora!

Caetite Travel Photos on Instagram - Venezuela - Safidon Travel Photos on Instagram