PDA

View Full Version : Problems with X.org server?

beady
18th March 2004, 06:39 PM
Is anyone else having problems with what seems to be the move to the xorg X server?

[beady@fry beady]$ rhythmbox
rhythmbox: error while loading shared libraries: libSM.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[beady@fry beady]$ gaim
gaim: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I dread to restart X as no new XWindowed programs are opening currently, but I half suspect that restarting X will fix it due to the changes made.

redhat71
18th March 2004, 10:47 PM
sounds like this:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-March/msg01143.html

Bobmeister
28th March 2004, 01:00 AM
Another xOrg update today...now X just plain QUITS when I go to the desktop settings>screen-saver settings through the GUI...when quiting it, black screen.

Can't get back to even Run Level 3 with a CNTL-ALT-BACKSPACE move...restart with the reset button...repeatable.

I'm thinking that all of the change on this poor installation from the original has run its course, and things are just a little too jumbled up. I mean. almost 2000 changes from rawhide to come through since the original, quite buggy release.

Plan: Clean install of Fedora Core 2 test 2 and see how it works. If it's a CLEAN install of the xOrg stuff, I'm thinking that things will go a little more smoothly as there might be less conflicting/missing/messed up files in there.

I remember when Fedora Core 1 test 1 was out...what a mess. By test 3 it was just about right. Official release was "just" about perfect (running it with absolutely NO problems!)

I really look forward to Fedora Core 2 but the system that I have it on now is almost unusable. Format...START OVER!!!!

Fun stuff...

sorry about the rant.

Bobmeister
28th March 2004, 01:12 AM
Well, Wadayaknow....

Now it works. I installed the STOCK NVIDIA driver (5336) and it FIXED the black screen problem that I just wrote about. It was a hunch...so apparently xOrg doesn't play NICE with the STOCK driver, but will with the NVIDIA driver....

Who woulda known?

Well, still, clean install next week! Test 2 here I come! I'm DONE DONE DONE with test one.....except...

maybe I'll try......

Sunset Photos on Instagram - Kanth - Aistala