PDA

View Full Version : install with hardware RAID 0

mormegil
18th March 2004, 01:10 PM
I'm installing core 1 for x86_64 on a system with two 80 GB SATA drives connected to the Promise 378 controller configured for RAID 0.

I have succesfully installed windowsXP on a 40GB partition and thus have 120 GB free space left.

When I run the Fedora installer, only one SATA drive is found and the partition program indicates that 40GB of this SATA drive is in use.

How do I install Fedora on my hardware RAID 0 array?

Bana
19th March 2004, 04:44 AM
Dang, you had to pick a Beast of an install. :D
It is a good sign that the install kernel at least found one of your SATA drives (as otherwise I think you might have had to make your own install CD :eek: For now, you might want to try getting linux drivers from Promise (here: http://www.promise.com/support/support_eng.asp) and then try typing something like linux dd in at the prompt after very first booting after the install CD (you might want to search around a bit for more information ie: dd stands for driver disk AFAIK)

This looked somewhat similar and might provide you with some relevant info as well: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=60248&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

mormegil
19th March 2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks Bana.

I've found some other info in the linux.kernel newsgroup from Jeff Garzik, the creator of the sata_promise driver. Here are some quotes:

"The 2.6.3 sata_promise driver ignores any RAID configuration you set up,
and directly talks to the drives."

"In 2.4, RAID0 and RAID1 are supported via the pdcraid driver.

In 2.6, Promise software RAID support does not exist. In conversations
with Promise, we all agreed to encourage and support the standard Linux
RAID, md"

"> Does this mean a dual-boot linux/Windows system cannot use a Promise
> RAID?

In 2.4, you can use pdcraid driver.

In 2.6, correct, there is no Promise RAID driver."

Sabba Hillel
24th February 2009, 08:58 PM
I have had a similar problem with attempting to build Fedora 10 on a Dell PowerEdge with a hardware RAID configuration. I installed Fedora 10 using a complete install (not an upgrade) and initialized the partitions completely. It appears to build correctly from the Fedora 10 DVD. However, after the end of the installation, the system reboot will give the error message

Volume Group "VolGroup00" not found
Unable to access remote device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)
mount error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: no such file or directory

At this point, it locks up and I cannot even get into grub.

The problem seems similar and may point to the difficulty here as well. Fedora 7 and Fedora9 both install and boot properly. Does anyone know why Fedora 10 would no longer build?

Brownhills Instagram Photos - Aracaju - Khanpur Instagram Photos