PDA

View Full Version : Why does Fedora 4 run so SLOW?

gkuhlen
17th March 2005, 01:29 AM
I have recently (last night) downloaded and installed Fedora 4. I am going nuts trying to figure out why it runs so slow. I have run Red Hat 4-9 with no problems but this just runs so dog slow I am not able to use it. I have the following machine...

AMD Athlon 1 ghz
S-3 video on the motherboard as is the audio
WD 60 gig HD (Win XP installed)
WD 30 gig HD (Fedora installed with GRUB)
384 meg RAM

I performed a full install last night and today I did a personal install. When I boot into Fedora
it takes 15 min or so to fully boot to get the desktop. When I try to use the Internet, it times out. I have never been able to get any version of Fedora to run fast. I can open apps and they take a long time to load as well. Can someone tell me what the problem might be? I read the hardware requirements and it does say that F4 is written for Pent 4's but earlier versions will work. Does it have a problem with AMD processors?

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
Gary

jtang613
17th March 2005, 01:36 AM
The problem is that you installed FC4_Test1 instead of FC3.

Core 4 - Test 1 is a BETA release. gdm_session and possibly syslogd seem to have bugs that cause them to use 100% CPU time. There are a great deal of other gremlins hiding in there too.

Install FC3 instead. Then do a complete update (yum or up2date) of FC3. You will have a fast, stable and full-featured OS. Fedora Core 4 is not due for final release until June 6. By that time, all the bugs and glitches will be ironed out.

Jason

Woad_Warrior
17th March 2005, 01:54 AM
test releases are more like alpha versions and the release candidates beta.

gkuhlen
17th March 2005, 05:25 AM
I have installed F3 with the same results. Runs slow and Internet is nearly impossible. Any further ideas?

Thanks

jtang613
17th March 2005, 02:07 PM
Have you done a complete update of FC3 as well? Have you disabled unnecessary services (pcmcia, isdn, etc)?

What exactly is it that you find slow? Network problems might be ISP-related. As for AMD - their processors run great with Linux - I've never had any problems in the 5 years I've used AMD with Linux.

If you are still experiencing a slow boot, try using bootchart to help track the cause. http://www.bootchart.org/

Jason

JFrasir
10th August 2005, 10:45 AM
FC4 is still running "slowlily" compare to Ubuntu and SuSE. My sys config:

Intel P3 (800Mhz) dual processor
1GB RAM
200 GB HDD
128 MB NVidia GeForce
Single OS boot

Any reason why?

The only reason for me to stay in FC4 it's that it reads FAT, FAT32 & NTFS vol.

lnthai2002
13th August 2005, 01:26 AM
Some services (such as MySQL) may be configured to start at boot time however for some reasons, these service can not start successfully at some attempts then finally give up. That process may consume time. More services takes more time to load too.

erroneus
13th August 2005, 01:47 AM
I get decent speed on all the machines I run it on, but it does become slower as I use it as a desktop. It seems that Nautilus cannot last more than an hour before loading up on memory and finally becoming unresponsive. I kill nautilus, it respawns and everything is good again... for another hour. Eventually, even respawning doesn't clean things up and I actually have to reboot. I don't know what it's doing so wrong, but I'm sure it's not me. I cannot understand why this is not a major issue... or if it is, I see so few reports of it. I just want a clean and quick file manager to install in place of nautilus. Anyone have an EASY suggestion? That is to say "Just install this RPM and maybe tweak this file in /etc/..." I'd be good with that. Nautilus is pretty but it's a memory hog and crashes a lot... Firefox uses too much memory too but what are ya gonna do?

Finalzone
13th August 2005, 02:10 AM
Try to use a lighter desktop environment and see if you Desktop runs smoothly. Also try to disable services you don't need. I think that may be a bug related to gnome and firefox.

dnar
13th August 2005, 04:40 AM
I have installed F3 with the same results. Runs slow and Internet is nearly impossible. Any further ideas?

Thanks
Define "slow". Are windows taking a long time to appear or is this slow to load internet pages?

You can try adding:NETWORKING_IPV6=no

to the file /etc/sysconfig/network and reboot. This disables IPv6 and is know to slow down dns lookups when enabled.

Hitman1
13th August 2005, 11:45 AM
I have recently (last night) downloaded and installed Fedora 4. I am going nuts trying to figure out why it runs so slow.

384 meg RAM
Gary

Your memory *might* be too low for a fully featured desktop like KDE or GNOME. try a lighter desktop and see what happens.

erroneus
13th August 2005, 11:51 AM
768MB should be enough. And if it runs nice to start with, there should be no reason it should crash over the time it is used... that is unless there are rampant memroy leaks.

tomcat
13th August 2005, 03:32 PM
Your memory *might* be too low for a fully featured desktop like KDE or GNOME. try a lighter desktop and see what happens.
no. i have fedora4 running on my secondary box, one an old amd duron 750 mhz with 330 mb ram and it soars (okay, it soars even more on my sempron :D). you simply need to add double ram as swap, disable unnecessary services and it will boot in less than 45 seconds on such a machine. and if you compile a kernel, you can reduce the boot time to less than 35 seconds. and gnome is snappy. only on my lappy with 256 mbram it is a bit slow.

jakarpinsk1
13th August 2005, 09:05 PM
i have an old HP Celeron 733mhz with 192mbs or ram and a 32mb Nvidia GeForce 2 card running Fedora Core 4 perfecty fine
go into sys setting then server setting and then services
and stop some of them from running maybe thats y?
my ram is always @96% which isnt good, but everythng works really good and fast
and im using the processor "intense" gui's such as Gnome and KDE :cool:

callousdivine
26th August 2005, 07:46 AM
I'm using FC4 on my primary machine, which is a Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop with 256MB ram, 10GB HD (included is my1GB swap partition!), and mobile P3 at 1GHz. I still haven't been able to get the processor to come on more often, since it runs pretty hot, but I've only rebooted it 3 times since I installed it... in April... at least I think it was April. It's a little sluggish sometimes, but that's usually when I've got gIMP, Firefox (11+ tabs), gAIM, XMMS, and a few Konqueror windows open. I'm guessing my uber-multitasking over 4 desktops with a 16MB nVidia card @ 1600 x 1200 rs is what's to blame (; P```, lol.

For all the stuff I've done to it, I'm more than happy with it. With the kind of hardware settings gkuhlen has, FC4 should be more than happy. Maybe the swap space is too low?

Pudduh
26th August 2005, 11:02 AM
I'm using a Compaq Armada m700 laptop with a 650mhz PIII processor with 512mb of ram and I have run FC3 and FC4 on it and well it runs perfectly well.

spying
14th September 2005, 11:55 AM
Wow nice, i am running FC4 now on my AMD Athlon 700 with 256mb ram and 20gig hdd after i failed to get it to run on my AMD Athlon 350(or is it 450?) with 96mb ram and 4gig hdd. Right-click of the mouse took a few mins for a menu. :D

scarpaz
4th October 2005, 08:55 PM
There are two main factors which may cause a *MAJOR* improvement on the actual user-perceived speed of a FC4 desktop system:

1) FC4 needs RAM: 256 MB is no way acceptable. 384 MB is still DEFINITELY not enough. 512 MB is just ok.

2) Packages are compiled for i386. Lousy. In my personal experience, there is not much gain in recompiling the kernel as in recompiling THE APPLICATIONS. If you use KDE, just recompiling kdebase may more-than-double the GUI speed. If you have a PIII system and use KDE, you may find useful some of the packages i made available here:

www.scarpaz.com/FC4 (http://www.scarpaz.com/FC4)

Pristina - Yaroslavl Travel Photos - Makati City -