PDA

View Full Version : Fedora UP, Red Hat DOWN - Is This Good News?

bob
15th March 2005, 03:29 AM
Here's an interesting article: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-5616161.html - On the one hand, it would seem to be great news for Fedora, however it is apparently at the expense of our core company. The question is: how will Red Hat react? :confused:

mbokil
15th March 2005, 04:31 AM
I am not too concerned about Redhat. If they weren't around I would switch to Suse Linux, Ubuntu, or Open Solaris. I like using Fedora though so I hope they stick around. Possibly Redhat should move to a business model where the only difference between Fedora and Redhat Enterprise linux would be tech support and only supporting stable releases of applications.

I think Redhat and Fedora have been hurt in the past because of their open source process being too closed and not reaching out to the community more. I think they learned from this mistake and have made attempts to correct this with Fedora. I will continue to support Fedora Linux as long as it remains free and relatively stable.

james_in_denver
15th March 2005, 04:40 AM
RedHat's core business is supporting their product. Maybe it just means that Linux is getting so stable that many companies don't feel the need (from a $ perspective) to pay for support.

OTOH, Novell's Linux business is up, and they are very much more a "proprietary" Linux vendor, sure it's the same Linux, but they also package a lot of their own proprietary software with it, and charge some top $$$ for it.

Overall???, I'm not worried, Apache still rules the internet, and EVERYBODY know Apache runs best on Linux.

(Redhat is responding with some of their own "add-ons" including Linux Cluster management, and some really slick management interfaces to Postgres. (which, again, runs best on Linux behind Apache).

Sorry to see that RedHat sales are down, though it could just be the beginning of market saturation.

crackers
15th March 2005, 05:50 AM
Also, keep in mind that those are web servers. We've got a boat-load of database and development and QA servers running RHES behind the firewall. That's a very significant number compared to what's actually in front of the firewall. RH won't starve...

Ferrera's, Little Italy Instagram Photos - 1770 southern cross backpackers Instagram Photos - Rhodes Ranch Instagram Photos