PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite linux game?

Lindy
17th March 2004, 03:48 AM
I've been goofing around with FlightGear quite a bit lately. I can handle the Cessna 172 pretty well, but as luck would have it I'm just about the world's worst A-10 pilot (my landing's are a bit brutal).
My other favorites are Foo Billards and Chromium.

djf_jeff
17th March 2004, 03:55 AM
I like frozen-bubble and gtetrinet, gweled and TEG.

I like more board and strategie games than action games, so Linux have plenty of it!

Bana
17th March 2004, 04:46 AM
I like Americas Army, Neverwinter Nights, FreeCiv, and GnuChess. I want to try some Zsnes though.

SuperNu
17th March 2004, 05:15 AM
I enjoy playing Neverwinter Nights, Frozen Bubble, Xmame, FCE Ultra, ZSnes and kpat (patience, solitare).

--SN

Ug
17th March 2004, 06:42 AM
Frozen bubble.

mhelios
17th March 2004, 07:05 AM
Frozen Bubble and tuxracer. It's a pity it's only a demo version of tuxracer though. :(

BTW, anyone know how many levels are in Frozen Bubble? I reached about 35 one day and kinda just stopped..

ewdi
17th March 2004, 07:13 AM
tuxracer is my fav :p kind a fun sliding through :p

Ug
17th March 2004, 07:13 AM
I've reached 78 so far.

Lindy
17th March 2004, 04:18 PM
>I've reached 78 so far.

And I thought I was doing good at getting to level 15! Guess I should stick to flying... Throtle,set... flaps,set... Gear down... Gear down?.... Arrrrgh

Ug
17th March 2004, 04:54 PM
ROFL, I hate flight sims.

Jman
18th March 2004, 02:42 AM
frozen-bubble is my favorite, but I also like gtetrinet and tux racer.

I have also experimented with the Cube FPS (http://cubeengine.com/).

foolish
18th March 2004, 07:10 AM
Other great games that should be mentioned is:
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory (http://games.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/)
and
TORCS (http://torcs.sourceforge.net/)

Ug
18th March 2004, 07:29 AM
Is TORCS any good then?

Bana
19th March 2004, 03:53 AM
I found TORCS to be a little on the unrealistic side (compared to F1 2002, GTR2002, 360 Challenge etc..) but I only took it for a quick spin.

Ug
19th March 2004, 06:13 AM
Rally car racing I take it. Is there many people who play that "Cube" online, cos that looks quite interesting.

Lindy
19th March 2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Ug
Is TORCS any good then?

I installed it not too long ago, my initial impression is, not bad at all. Considering the price tag(free) it gets extra points on the goodness scale.

Ug
19th March 2004, 03:29 PM
Heh, my 3dfx Voodoo 3000 provides 0 acceleration in Fedora for some reason. Probably hasn't got 3D support, I can't even play Tux racer. :eek:

Bana
21st March 2004, 04:10 AM
Heheh, at least you don't have a $300 video card that won't give 3d accel. because of ATIs drivers not supporting x86_64. grrr...:mad:

mike
21st March 2004, 05:08 AM
I have gotten Unreal Tournament 2004 and I'm enjoying it. The onslaught maps are great, and I got it for $29.99 with $10 back mail-in coupon, so it was a good deal.

Ug
21st March 2004, 07:38 AM
I wasn't impressed with Unreal 2k3, it was like they'd Quake'd it.

mhelios
21st March 2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Ug
I wasn't impressed with Unreal 2k3, it was like they'd Quake'd it.
What's wrong with Quake?! I used to love Q3A when I had it.

Ug
21st March 2004, 09:30 AM
I've just ordered Unreal 2k4, I found it online for half price! And with free P&P. :D

So its only costing me 17.99 or $32.98

Ug
21st March 2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by mhelios
What's wrong with Quake?! I used to love Q3A when I had it. I just preferred the feel of Unreal Tournament.

rogerdv
21st March 2004, 01:40 PM
Well, as I cant buy games, and my video card isnt a great one (and prefer DRI driver to propietary ones), I usually play free games. Battle for wesnoth is great, and Freedroid RPG has a quite complete engine, just need a few features, polishing and more quests/levels. I would suggest donating to these projects if somebody has a few $s to spare.

Ug
21st March 2004, 05:57 PM
I take it you can't buy games because your in Cuba?

genci
22nd March 2004, 05:43 AM
OK, why didn't anyone have the decency to warn people about Frozen Bubble being addictive?! :rolleyes: :p

I hadn't heard of the game before, so after seeing how popular it was on this thread, decided to hunt it down and install it. I gave the game a whirl and after playing for what only seemed about 15-20 minutes (got up to level 14), I found when exiting the game I had been playing for 50 minutes! I had lost a good half hour somewhere :eek: - talk about dangerous!

Writes note to oneself: must set timer next time or risk exiting the game two days later :D

Ug
22nd March 2004, 06:39 AM
ROFL, but it's just soooo good.

Currently it's not installed on this system. :p

rogerdv
22nd March 2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Ug
I take it you can't buy games because your in Cuba?

Exactly.

Ug
22nd March 2004, 12:33 PM
I feel for you.

Lindy
22nd March 2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by genci
OK, why didn't anyone have the decency to warn people about Frozen Bubble being addictive?! :rolleyes: :p

Trying to tell us you need a 12 step program?

Ug
22nd March 2004, 02:11 PM
I got to level 78 in a single sitting. Thats how much help I needed, the solution was to uninstall it.

PeTzZz
24th March 2004, 04:15 PM
XBill (also called Kill Bill):
http://www.xbill.org/
I got to the 16th level, 14179 points - first try, I don't have time to play it more right now.

One of my friends showed it long time ago and I decided to try it again. It was pretty fun, because he had a laptop and it wasn't so easy to move the cursor :p

:D

Lindy
24th March 2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by PeTzZz
XBill (also called Kill Bill):
I got to the 16th level, 14179 points - first try

:D

Oh, the blood! Oh, the humanity!... Wait a minute, swating Bill... Oh, what fun!:D

Avatraxiom
29th March 2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Ug
Heh, my 3dfx Voodoo 3000 provides 0 acceleration in Fedora for some reason. Probably hasn't got 3D support, I can't even play Tux racer. :eek:

Ah, yes. I believe I talked to mharris about that some time. I thought that Glide was still in FC1, though...?

jbarby
29th March 2004, 03:17 AM
I play starcraft within linux though not a linux game it runs fine under wine. (except the &^%$ battlenet)

neverwinter nights, savage was kinda fun but can get boring, and a good old fps every now and then is nice :D

Avatraxiom
29th March 2004, 04:36 AM
I play Enemy Territory when I've got the time. :-)

I also *do* play Frozen Bubble. Who can resist? I think I got to level 48 the first time I played, and haven't since then decided that I had to time to try again. :-)

And, of course, FreeCiv is just as addictive as any other Civ. :-)

genci
29th March 2004, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Lindy
Trying to tell us you need a 12 step program? <sniff>Yes</sniff>
Although I am getting better .... don't think I could play long enough to get to the high levels that some have in a single sitting :p

Ug
29th March 2004, 09:29 PM
If you run it from the command line like so:frozen-bubble -l 78 You can jump straight to the level, which you left it at. Where 78 = the level you want to start on.

Lindy
29th March 2004, 09:37 PM
O.K.. ug straight to the podium with you. You start by saying "My name is ug and I'm a FB-aholic..."

Prometheus
29th March 2004, 09:41 PM
Hey, maybe we could start a new section in the forum for forum junkies and how to resolve their problems...... wait, that would kinda defeat the purpose wouldnt it.

mhelios
31st March 2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Ug
If you run it from the command line like so:frozen-bubble -l 78 You can jump straight to the level, which you left it at. Where 78 = the level you want to start on.
Heh, this allowed me to answer my own question earlier in this thread: There are 100 levels in Frozen Bubble! And I just fired up this level and lost. :( Dang.

New challenge: I want to see people fire up frozen-bubble -l 100 and beat it first go!

dishawjp
31st March 2004, 12:51 PM
Although I do find Frozen Bubble addictive, lately I've been wasting my "free" time playing Battle of Wesnoth. It's a turn-based strategy game.

http://wesnoth.org

Mostly I play against the computer, but you also have the option of opening port 15000 and then I can play against a friend of mine over the internet.

Jim Dishaw

NeilO
1st April 2004, 11:59 PM
Tux Racer. As per Mandrake 9.1. NVIDIA 4363 Drivers.
Max. speed - 265kph. twice.
Quickest time - 57.00.00

Cheers NeilO.

mhelios
2nd April 2004, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by NeilO
Tux Racer. As per Mandrake 9.1. NVIDIA 4363 Drivers.
Max. speed - 265kph. twice.
Quickest time - 57.00.00

Cheers NeilO.
Wow, that's pretty fast! I thik I've managed ~210kph once.
P.S. I like your .signature. Very creative.

Varkk
2nd April 2004, 04:53 AM
I have been wasting time playing frozne bubble and tux racer. I also recently started Neverwinter Nights and I have Jedi Knight 2 working under WineX. I will have a go with UT2k4 when that finally gets released here (The censors haven't given it a rating yet, it seems they are unsure what to give it)

Jman
2nd April 2004, 05:06 AM
Armagetron (http://armagetron.sourceforge.net/) . It's a 3D Tron clone, and it's available from freshrpms. :)

Finalzone
2nd April 2004, 09:55 AM
I also like Armagetron. Unfortunately, I cannot play it on upgraded Fedora Core 2 Test 2 via yum as it keep returning on user login each time I use a 3D gaming application.
Torcs is a nice Linux racing game. Visually, some cars looks like they were based from either Playstaition or Saturn games. I was thinking to do a Dreamcast linux racing game using Blender 3D but works prevented to start this project.
I have Stepmania, a Dance Dance Revolution clone with all DDR themes with the carpet pad. this is by far my favorite Linux game.
I also have Znes, Gens to play some SNES and Genesis/Megadrice game

James
3rd April 2004, 01:08 PM
I am currently playing the Linux version of Unreal Tournament 2004, which is rather good except that it runs noticabily slower in Fedora than it does in Windows.

I think that this may be down to the ATI drivers though, also it has a bug when i first start a game all the textures are corrupt and the game looks unplayable, this can be resolved by bringing down the game console ( ' key) and typing in 'flush' without the quotes.

I also like a game of Kolf and Barbarian.

Barbarian is an old game i used to play on my commodore 64. (anyone else remember)

The linux version can be downloaded here if anyone is interested.

http://www.tdbsoft.tk/

Avatraxiom
4th April 2004, 12:02 AM
Okay, I've discovered the motherlode: Puzzle Pirates (http://www.puzzlepirates.com)

It's in Java, so you can play it on any platform.

-M

imdeemvp
13th April 2004, 05:05 AM
I like frozen bubble, tux racer and chromiun!

roadwarrior
15th April 2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by mhelios
Frozen Bubble and tuxracer. It's a pity it's only a demo version of tuxracer though. :(

BTW, anyone know how many levels are in Frozen Bubble? I reached about 35 one day and kinda just stopped..

Those two are my favorites as well. My wife loves playing as the pink girl penguin in Tux Racer (yes, we have the full version), although she plays it on our Windows machine (it has better video, and is faster).

We both have made it up to around level 45 or 50 in Frozen Bubble, so there are at least that many levels.

Die_Lah
15th April 2004, 11:55 AM
Enemy Teritority gets most of my attention and sometimes Americas Army

Ug
15th April 2004, 12:08 PM
I've heard some good things about America's Army, particularly the latest version of it.

mhelios
15th April 2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by roadwarrior
Those two are my favorites as well. My wife loves playing as the pink girl penguin in Tux Racer (yes, we have the full version), although she plays it on our Windows machine (it has better video, and is faster).

We both have made it up to around level 45 or 50 in Frozen Bubble, so there are at least that many levels.
see my previous post in this thread. try this from a terminal and see how successful your are:

frozen-bubble -l 100

;)

sailor
28th April 2004, 03:13 PM
SInce I just got my Nvidia graphic drivers setup I have been playing BZflag ...it is a online tank game...similar to the old battle zone arcade game....it is available on sourceforge....

David
8th May 2004, 02:23 PM
http://www.scummvm.org/

I downloaded myself scummvm and the (now freeware) cyberpunk classic, Beneath a Steel Sky. Ah, the nostalgia :)

I'm also a minor IF fan although I've yet to get tads or z-machines interpreters set up on this system.

http://www.ifarchive.org/
http://www.wurb.com/if/options

ghaefb
8th May 2004, 02:39 PM
I like to play ut2004demo.
Anyone knows where to find full version??

David
8th May 2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by foolish
Other great games that should be mentioned is:
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory (http://games.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/)
and
TORCS (http://torcs.sourceforge.net/)
Ah man, wolfenstein looks cool but, as per usual, I have teething problems. This time with both sound and connecting to the servers. I think maybe my firewall is intefering, or I'm just being really unlucky on the server side. For sound I tried giving et direct access to my sound drivers after doing a bit of searching on google, but it didn't help :(

The process seems to work great for others though (naturally). For those who might benefit, as root type,
echo "et.x86 0 0 direct">/proc/asound/cardx/pcmyz/oss
where x and y are both integers and z is a character, depending on your setup.

Avatraxiom
11th May 2004, 06:24 AM
Oh hrm... I fixed those sound problems once...

Oh yeah, I used my SB Live! instead of my M-Audio Delta 44. :-) That worked. :)

-M

David
11th May 2004, 08:21 PM
(Why is it that all problems with audio seem to come back to M-Audio products? I'm running an audiophile in my machine.)

Avatraxiom
13th May 2004, 04:28 AM
Hahahahaha. It's because the ICE1712 doesn't support consumer encodings, only professional encodings. In particular, the ICE1712 only wants 32-bit encoded sound, I believe, and refuses 16-bit. So, native ALSA applications will work, but most OSS applications will fail.

-M

Wuhu - Arequipa Travel Photos on Instagram - Erbil -