PDA

View Full Version : FC2 upgrade - no terminal bell

Motor
13th June 2004, 03:26 AM
I've just finished upgrading an FC1 box to FC2. After a lot of messing about I finally have most stuff working, including sound (yay!). The one irritating problem remaining is that the terminal bell seems to have vanished.

This is not the output from a soundcard, its the beeper inside the PC that is used to signal at the terminal. I really miss it, and indeed I use to it signal the connection and disconnection of my modem to the net. Losing it is very annoying. Can anyone help? Is it a known problem... I can't seem to find any mention via google.

My system:

Gigabyte K7 triton motherboard (VIA chipset), 512mb of RAM. Athlon XP2000, Matrox G550

Thanks.

marks_linux
13th June 2004, 04:00 AM
Me too!

Though I haven't got the sound working at all yet as I did a reinstall after screwing up MYSQL (not realising it was an install option on the FC2 Distribution I downloaded it and installed and could not get it to work).

Sorry I don't have a solution to the bell.

bradthemad
13th June 2004, 12:14 PM
modprobe pcspkr

yeehi
13th June 2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by bradthemad
modprobe pcspkr

I tried this command as root. It said command not found.
:confused:

bradthemad
13th June 2004, 01:12 PM
Then you need a better PATH!

/sbin/modprobe pcspkr

Motor
13th June 2004, 09:40 PM
modprobe pcspkr

Great... it works, thanks.

Motor
13th June 2004, 09:41 PM
Then you need a better PATH!

/sbin/modprobe pcspkr

If he switched to root, by just using:

"su"

Then /sbin won't be in the path.

Had he used:

"su -"

Then it is.

gabolander
6th November 2004, 02:41 AM
What is the best way to insert in /etc/modprobe.conf, so that it loads itself automatically each time after boot?

(eg. alias char-major-SOMEWHAT pcspkr ??)

Tnx in adv.

Dog-One
6th November 2004, 03:51 PM
What you may want to do is put modprobe pcspkr in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. Or optionally, build you a new initrd image and use mkinitrd --preload=pcspkr option.

Looking at the kernel source code for the module, I haven't been able to determine what you could use as an entry in /etc/modprobe.conf for automatic loading. Interestingly enough, pcspkr is located in the Device | Input | Misc section of the kernel source--how one would come up with a beeper as being input, I'll never quite understand ;)