PDA

View Full Version : Samba SWAT: Connection refused!

iontyre
13th June 2004, 02:55 AM
This Samba thing is really getting me down. Can't get it to work AT ALL!!! Read about the SWAT thing, and tried to start it with Localhost:901, but I get a Connection refused error message. Can anyone give me clear, complete, and step by step instructions on how to get Samba to work, both from the Linux server side and from a Win98 client box? Don't just refer me somewhere else, I've tried every link I can find and somehow they all have failed to work. And some of them have conflicting directions!!!

engwnbie
13th June 2004, 03:46 AM
Try the following steps
as su
1 modify /etc/xinetd.d/swat by using an editor eg vi or gedit etc..
2 change disable = yes to disable = no
3 save and quit
4 as su
5 #/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
then in mozilla web browser type http://localhost:901.
That should work.

engwnbie
13th June 2004, 03:54 AM
Also this how to was posted and works for others.http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2556

There are also great examples and how to on your fedora installation. FC1 is a bit different. FC2 in /usr/share/doc/samba-3.0.3/docs there are pdf files that explain how to samba network with other operating systems. Samba-Guide.pdf has different examples and how to implement.

embjet
13th June 2004, 04:13 AM
A couple of things to check:
If trying to conect from the Windows box ,make sure and insert the "IP Address of the Windows box" into /etc/xinetd.d/swat/ as shown below.
Make sure the linux box has a user account that matches the user name and password that you are trying to connect with.
Also a password must be added to the samba account. On the linux box type: " smbpasswd -a " then enter the same password as the linux user account above.
Another thing in the "smb.conf" file make sure the "encrypt passwords = yes" line is in the global section.

# default: off
# description: SWAT is the Samba Web Admin Tool. Use swat \
# to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
# connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
disable = no
port = 901
socket_type = stream
wait = no
only_from = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.12
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/swat
log_on_failure += USERID
}

superbnerd
16th June 2004, 05:47 PM
if you still have problems, you might need to open that port in your firewall temporaily, and make sure the samaba port is open if you want to sahre anything

Pakistan Instagram Photos - Lithuania Instagram Photos - Edmonton Photos on Instagram -