Hey guys

I just got a Sony Vaio laptop from my dad. the specs are:

K6-III 550Mhz
256 MB SDRAM
6GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM
Floppy
WPC11 PCMCIA

Installation of core 2 went fine, but the OS keeps freezing! It seems that at random times it just locks up. It's not necessarily whenever I'm doing any particularly stressful tasks or anything. This happens about every 5-10 minutes!

Please help me because I really like the idea of Fedora and I don't want to have to switch to a different Distro.

Thanks

ilja
11th June 2004, 10:08 AM
Look if there are any cronjobs. And also what processes are running (ps -a).

MoJoe
11th June 2004, 10:45 AM
sorry but I'm kind of a newb. what are cronjobs?

Also my friend told me to do the ps -a command and I did but there were hundreds of processes and nothing seemd strange. he told me to look for an "httpd" process but i didn't find one.

btw, i was using Gnome but now I'm trying KDE. So far it hasn't crashed but I havn't done much either.

ilja
11th June 2004, 10:52 AM
cron is a program, that allows you to execute some jobs every timeperios (e.g. every hour, every day, every week ...) automatically. A less advanced alternative in the Microsoft World are the tasks. They might be a job, that starts every few minutes and takes a lot of memory. But it might be something else also. In Gnome there is a systemmonitor, which also shows you all the processes, that are running. It needn't to be only httpd (also know as Apache Webserver) it might be something totally different.

MoJoe
11th June 2004, 11:06 AM
yeah but it's not regular like that. like sometimes it freezes in 3 minutes and sometimes it takes 15 minutes.

KDE still hasn't crashed... :)

ilja
11th June 2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by MoJoe

KDE still hasn't crashed... :)
It doesn't show the reason for the problem, but it hides the symptomps and lets you work :)

MoJoe
11th June 2004, 11:23 AM
hmm... it just crashed :(

damn

ne other ideas?

Varkk
11th June 2004, 09:24 PM
Run memtest, it is on the fedora CDs. See if your RAM or memory controller is having issues. Also is the machine overheating or anything like that?

nothingface
11th June 2004, 10:31 PM
Also, is it a system crash or is it just X that is locking?

Braun
16th June 2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by MoJoe
Hey guys

I just got a Sony Vaio laptop from my dad. the specs are:

K6-III 550Mhz
256 MB SDRAM
6GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM
Floppy
WPC11 PCMCIA

Installation of core 2 went fine, but the OS keeps freezing! It seems that at random times it just locks up. It's not necessarily whenever I'm doing any particularly stressful tasks or anything. This happens about every 5-10 minutes!

Could you please specify when it tends to crash? I also own an old Sony Vaio computer, a PCGZ505SX model. This one gave me a hard time because it used to crash as the one you have, and also did apparently random. After testing a bit I narrowed the events, and discovered that did it only if I had APM enabled and after logging in under X.

The problem was that the APM implementation was conflicting with irq 9, that IRQ is used by the Neomagic sound card, Gnome was trying to insert the modules for it when starting up, but for some reason it didn't work, freezing the whole system; so I disabled the sound by commenting the proper lines un /etc/modprobe.conf. After that I had no more crashes, but if I want to have sound I must insert the module snd_nm256 manually using modprobe. I have been quite successful by doing this and I have the APM modes enabled and running. ACPI doesn't work as good as APM does with this particular computer.

Finally I list my specs:
Pentium II Mobile Processor @ 366 MHz.
128 MB RAM.
6.4 GB HDD.
1 PCMCIA slot.
USB Floppy.
PCMCIA IDE CDROM.

P.s. I would appreciate If some one knows how to mount the PCMCIA CDROM under a 2.6 kernel, because I can't mount the device anymore after the transition from 2.4.x to 2.6.5.

Cheers.

Rua Direita Ouro Preto Travel Photos - EURASIA RESORT I Cha-Am Lagoon. Photos on Instagram