PDA

View Full Version : new installation, jaming on startup

kamina
10th June 2004, 05:41 AM
I just installed fc 2_64 on a new laptop and am having the following problems.

Upon starting for the first time it just jamed at "starting pcmcia" I had to turn it off with the powerswitch and reboot.

On the next boot it jammed at "Enabling swap space"

On the third boot it stalled for 10 minutes at "modproble: FATAL: Error inserting floppy (/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko): No such device" And I don't have a floppy drive...

After about 10 minutes it continued from the floppy error and started spewing out hexadecimal code... It seems to be repeating "{acpi_processor_idle+0}" and "{cpu_idle+24}" inbetween the code. There is also a line "badness in io_check_error at arch/x86_64/kernel/traps.c:551" inbetween.

Did something go very wrong with the install? It seemed very straight forward and the only "wrong choice" I can think of making is the screen resolution. ( I have wxga and chose 1024*768, could'nt find an option for 1280*800)

It's an A64 based laptop on a via chipset.

kamina
10th June 2004, 06:52 AM
I got the init level changed to 3 and now it continues past the floppy error but still ends up with the hexadecimal code. (and jams)

kamina
10th June 2004, 08:05 AM
A friend helped me sort it out... Booted to single mode, remvoed the floppy and pcmcia.

Milton - Bhawanipur Travel Photos on Instagram - Krabi Travel Photos on Instagram