PDA

View Full Version : This sucks.

AJB2K3
23rd January 2005, 04:11 PM
Coming from the spoilt winboze use community i find melf saying "this sucks" alot.
Anyothe EX winbloze users find that?

Dog-One
23rd January 2005, 04:55 PM
My ShopVac does, but that's a good thing. ;)

What in particular is it that has you at a breaking point?

AJB2K3
23rd January 2005, 04:59 PM
everything !! im just a dumb winbloze user that will have to find someone to do it for me.
Xine wont work (crashes try to draw setup) i cant compile cus the automake i need has to be compiled and generaly im crap.

ghaefb
23rd January 2005, 05:03 PM
It's common among ex windblows users to say 'this sucks' :)
But the fact is that it doesn't suck, It's just different in windblows.
something like that... :p

taylor65
23rd January 2005, 06:02 PM
why are you trying to compile xine? it's already been done for you. if you like GUIs, use synaptic: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26997&highlight=setup+average+fc3

AJB2K3
23rd January 2005, 06:10 PM
xine is compiled i know but it dont work and a want to compile ViXP which is xine for epia mb's but thats not what this is for.
I want to know if anyother converts found themselfs saying "this sucks" until they finially worked out how to use it.
on winbloze i used to say it lots for gimp but now im a MUTHA F*CKER G.I.M.P !!.
Comon guys admit it,when you converted you did at first.

sailor
23rd January 2005, 06:22 PM
When I first started using linux I had many problems ...especially installing programs, I was expecting dialogs to help me along..etc. I was disappointed to say the least. I decided that I needed to educate myself, I bought books, I browsed the internet and I joined forums.
I tried many, many different linux distros till I found one that was the most compatiple with my system.

If you are trying to compile an install you need to have the correct libraries such as gcc or gtk.
As the others have said use pre-built RPM's if possible ....learn how to use yum/yumx & apt/synaptic to update your system ...use "add/remove" option to load the developement tools(gcc,gtk) from install cds, so that you can compile applications.
The Fedora Faqs has tutorials which will help...www.fedorafaqs.org

EDIT: oops...sorry www.fedorafaq.org

AJB2K3
23rd January 2005, 07:28 PM
www.fedorafaqs.org
i know im on a steep learning curve but the lin is Not Found

willieray
23rd January 2005, 07:42 PM
This is great! I just logged in to rant my 4$$ off about linux. hahah! now i feel better. my cousin has a corrupted win2k install; blue screens at boot no matter what (safe mode, rescue disk, etc...). so i throw in gnoppix. sweet !!! it boots, i can mount the disk and see the files. Okay cool now lets burn the files to c..... eh?????!??!? no xcdroast ???!??!?! hmmmmm...... well okay lets just transfer them to my winxp laptop.
sudo mount -t smb //laptop/this /mnt/loot

filesys smb not supported !!!!?!?!?!?! well okay i'll update it
sudo apt-get install samba

http connection died error???!??!?!?!??!!?!

GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what should take a few minutes to set up and walk away now has me in hours deep. this tends to be a recurring theme with sparse support. having an x86_64 and trying to use yum a few months ago on fc3???? hahahhahaha!!!! so many problems with repos. This forum is really the only exception to the rule that if you don't recognize the error or command, you're hosed

willieray
23rd January 2005, 07:43 PM
btw, its www.fedorafaq.org

Don't mod me down or flame me guys, i just lost my patience. There is this idea in my head that eventually i will be able to overcome most obstacles that impede my way with linux. The thing is i really enjoy using it. i like what the community stands for. i like the feeling of being a part of that community; but when i need to get something done, i can't use linux (except when i'm coding of course). If i have a new problem or tech issue to tackle and sit down with linux, i'm going to be learning (usually for hours and hours), not working. It gets to be too much sometimes.

AJB2K3
23rd January 2005, 09:36 PM
due to my system spec im pritty much alone.
Follow theses action -
1 extend arm/hand/finger to point at windows user,
2 say HA, HA, HA.

now doesn't that fill good?

dickinsd
23rd January 2005, 10:28 PM
Well I am definately willing to admit that I often say linux sucks.

The are some really great things about linux, and as willieray said

The thing is i really enjoy using it. i like what the community stands for. i like the feeling of being a part of that community

Completely agree, linux is great, there is no doubt about it, but sometimes things are just too much effort.

Yeah I know there are sayings along the lines of if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing but when all you want to do is play an MP3 (brand new FC user) EASY is all you want it to be!

(BTW - that was not a request for help, I know answer now)

I have used Linux on and off (mainly off) for about 6 years now and I always get sick to death of trying to get this to work, or trying to do that. AND I always go back to windows.

This time has been different, nearly everything on my laptop works straight out of the box, FC2 + FC3 are great distros (or versions of the same distro...)

There is one more thing that has helped me stick with linux much longer than any other install in my past, and that was a desperate search for help with google - fedoraforum.org offering the answer!
There have been times (Gods honest truth) that I have got so sick of Linux, and been right there with my windows XP cd, the thing that kept me there was the community!

I am currently in a fairly nice place, there is nothing to serious that is bothering me with the linux install, although I do find that I am always scared to do anything, in case I cross that really, really, really thin line which takes me from having everything I want, working - to nothing working
Well maybe a little exageration.

Dave

PS - sometimes Linux sucks, but so does god damn windows (some times)

sailor
23rd January 2005, 11:53 PM
sometimes Linux sucks, but so does god damn windows (some times)

thats true too (I have windows horror stories too), but yeah it is a pain sometimes but I find the whole process rewarding...

I continue to run Windows XP and SuSE 9.2 Pro...so usually one OS is working if I have something that I have to get done.

ravalox
24th January 2005, 02:12 AM
I think he has a point, there are many things in fedora core 3 that are just plain silly. Yum in Fedora Core 2 was useful and adequately installed a lot of things that would normally take 80 rpms to install(another ridiculous thing altogether) now the introduction of repositories has totally blasted alot of the simplistic usefulness of Yum. Now we ahve to worry about repository compatibility and installs now take markedly longer. The community needs to realize that the reason linux is not threatening windows is that M$ learned the secret of simplistic user interface a long time ago. Linux isn't even attending class yet. This isn't heartless trash-talk, I use linux. But I sympathize completely. I just spent an hour trying to get xmms to play mp3s. That's nonesense, building something from source should not have to be that labor intensive.

killaweegee
24th January 2005, 02:28 AM
Linux is not easy, it's a challenge, and if it wasn't it would be boring. The greater the obsticle the greater the reward. Linux takes time to learn especially when you are coming off of windblowz. Don't be in a hurry, just take things is small pieces. Linux is the future...no doubt about so start learning now.

MakeMyDay
24th January 2005, 03:58 AM
Hmmm. For me it was the fact I was saying "This sucks!" a lot that motivated me to move from Windows to Linux last December :).

Nothing I've encountered in Linux has made me want to go back. I guess I'm a hacker at heart, but when something doesn't work rather than just cussing at Bill I can open the source and fix it. Damn, that's cool.

I would say my experience is the time saved not fighting viruses and mismatched DLLs and BSODs in Windows probably balances the time lost getting things to work in Linux.

Shadow Skill
24th January 2005, 05:55 AM
I know exactly how the original poster feels, I get so infuriated when ever I try to get music to play the way I want it to. Everything else generally works well. I always felt yum was painfully slow particularly in fc2, it worked much better in fc3. Personally I use smart rpm which sometimes doesn't exactly work either. [I have to figure out how to edit the repos right before I get it to behave just right.]

AJB2K3
24th January 2005, 08:20 AM
As in the ery post ive been woorking on Xine but at least i understand whats going rong.
problem1 no dvd - opps this was silly, i disabled ide 2 in bios then later moved the drive. I renabled it and it works.
problem 2 Xine doesn't work - Multiple problems however xine-check told me what the were and now ist sorted. and this takes me to 3 -
problem 3 when xine start linux crashes - This one is whats stumping me its a display isue but once i understand how to get it working, ill understand how it works.
Linux is a lot of hard work and the install should set up drive permissions instead of the user having to set them up post install.

roolegion
24th January 2005, 12:37 PM
I have been saying "This inhales severely" quite a bit lately, due to my desire to drop windblows like last year's fad. Mainly, it is the desire to dual boot - crikey, you wouldn't _BELIEVE_ the amount of crud I am going through trying to dual boot between Win XP (yeah, I am addicted to games) and Fedora. I think that the main problem I am having is that on my IDE cable, the Windblows HDD is at the end of the cable, and my Linux HDD is the next one down. I then have both on Cable Select.

So, I have been cruising the forums and googling like crazy - still no go; can't get GAG to work; no other boot manager will work for me. Now, it looks like that I will have to re-install Fedora and then put the GRuB on a different part of the HDD, or, swap my two HDDs around and_HOPE_ the grub.conf that I have editted will allow me to dual boot.

"This Sucks!" is said a lot because from what I have been reading, it should be a relatively easy task to do - yet it isn't !?!?! Anyway, this HDD swap (which means, unscrewing the drives and swapping them around, as my cable doesn't like being twisted) will be done next week as I have no more time for it now, due to work commitments.

I think I should change my handle to something like "Frustrated_with_Grub" !!!

asmodanus
24th January 2005, 09:50 PM
Linux sucks, but windows sucks more, so - linux is better ;)

killaweegee
25th January 2005, 12:08 AM
I found this on the net the other day and thought you guys might like it. http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/winrg.php.

Adana Osmaniye Yolu Travel Photos on Instagram - Praia Canasvieiras - Sc Instagram Photos - The Patisserie