PDA

View Full Version : Howto: Keep your junk organized..

jimispier
11th January 2005, 04:17 AM
I have been working on a solution to keep all my electronic data organized and this is what I came up with.. It can work on all filesystems (I think)..

What I have done is create one folder in my home directory called Shared (It can be whatever you want really.. )
And then underneath that directory I create subdirectories for each possible catagory of data I am going to collect or need to have..

/home/jimi/Shared
01 Documents
02 Spreadsheets
03 Graphics
04 Music
05 Movies
06 Software
07 Programming
08 Misc

You can also follow the same method for creating subdirectories under the folders..

I really needed this with my windose machine since you can files literally ALL OVER the machine.. So, I consolidated and put them into catagories..
I have done this with my folks machine and they seem to be happier with using thier computer..

Hope this helps.. :cool:

terr9898
11th January 2005, 05:33 AM
To expand on your idea, I would create a seperate partition of type vfat so that Linux and Windows can both write to it.

In Windows, this is designated a data partition. I would use the 'Junction' command of Win2k/XP/2003 to create a link from C:\Docs\$user\My Documents to the $Data_drive. Any docs I save in Windows get saved on the Data partition automatically.

In Linux, I would through a symbolic link within the /home/$user space so it points to the Data partition. Of course, you need to add the Data partition to fstab and mount it.

Just an alternative for ones running Win/Linux on the same machine.

jimispier
11th January 2005, 08:24 PM
Good idea, but I was making this simple for newbies and people like me who are disorganized..

kosmosik
11th January 2005, 08:48 PM
you should split data that is unimportant/easy to get it reproducted and simply large, from your documents and projects... mostly for backup purposes (you don't really need to backup your Madonna MP3 collection every week). I have things organized like:

/home/e <- my home dir
/home/e/bin <- my binaries, scripts etc.
/home/e/doc <- my documents (like office, html etc - mostly writings and so on)
/home/e/devel <- spec files, scripts, my programs etc.
/home/e/mail <- obvious...
/home/e/tmp <- usually junk - all download and things I am working shortly on reside here
/home/e/www <- my websites and stuff I am working at go here - this is actually imported via NFS from dedicated home server...

also all my settings (despite of firefox and gimp cache and some thumbnailing applications - this goes to /tmp as I don't need to backup tons of cache-junk) are also stored in dotfiles inside my home. to backup I simply tar | bzip2 my entire /home/e and I am done :) everyday I do backup to server (one package each day), every week I burn one such package to CD... when I am with laptop in my work I also tend to backup to my server there to have multiple copies :)

now for unimportant/big/shared/easly reproducted stuff (such like movies, iso images, tarballs, rpms music etc.) I have additional partition (/media/magazyn) - the permissions for this are such that other users of this machine can also read those files - and I don't need to backup it since it is all soewhere...

neilius
12th January 2005, 02:51 AM
Here is a screenshot of how I organise my stuff... maybe it'll help someone out there. I love the way you can assign a little icon to each folder easily in Gnome too!

http://neil.demolish.nu/images/neil.png

Regards,

Neil. :)

ewdi
12th January 2005, 03:06 AM
u know, i'm a fully mess person, this is a good tip :p

kosmosik
12th January 2005, 07:35 AM
heh I don't understand why you use long directory names starting with uppercase character... :) dont you use shell?

as for data organization I find it usefull to kind of reproduce "/" layout (especially directories /bin /tmp and some additional of me) in my home dir :)

imdeemvp
12th January 2005, 07:42 AM
I try to keep it as simple as I can:
[imdeemvp@myfc3 ~]$ ls
5a_1_b.JPG LimeWire
all-20041107 linuxstuff
all-20041107.tar.bz2 memo_file
bookmarksfc3.html misc
Desktop MyPilot
gdesk my_xorg_in_FC3.abw
gDesklets-0.31 Payoff Letter To PCS.abw
gtk-gnutella-downloads Screenshot-1.png