PDA

View Full Version : How do you RATE fedora 3?

imdeemvp
9th January 2005, 11:58 PM
We know is beta ground for RHEL4 so how is fedora working out for you. I have so small issues that I am not able to fix. One in not being able to hotsync my clie and sometimes mplayer plugin for mozilla works and sometimes it doesnt. And its becoming very frustating.

What issues do you have so can somehow let the developers know.

gcblig
10th January 2005, 12:27 AM
Much better support for usb and media than FC2 IMHO - still needs improvements in those area however.

Woad_Warrior
10th January 2005, 12:28 AM
while i voted to going back to my old distro, i'm actually going to give suse9.2 a try. (leaving core 2 on the other machine.)
i might try core 3 again in a few months, or wait till core4 is out. it's got too many things that just don't work as smoothly as they should. (or in some cases, if they work) core3 showed alot of promise, but it's frustrating to use because of the bugs. IMO they tried adding/changing too many things and didn't get them properly integrated before releasing it. ( i myself could care less if they meet their deadline for getting a new release out if it improves the stability and over all usability of the release. it's almost...... i dunno, like M$? {as in pushing something out before it's ready and hoping no one will notice})

virtualwood
10th January 2005, 12:34 AM
I think everyone who uses it wil have some issues no matter what. Most of its users are used to other OSes, not to mention other BRANDs. I enjoyed being able to run it on my laptop with few issues to work out. But hey, its LIFTS.

Linux Is For Trouble-Shooters :D

bander26
10th January 2005, 03:11 AM
I'm pretty pleased with FC3. It's working better with music and usb for me. The install was hairy but once I got it up it's been working fine. Because of the install my other 2 computers are still on FC2.

Dygear
10th January 2005, 03:32 AM
I am not a long time linux user (I have only been using linux for 10 days) but I have to say this is simply the best distro I have run, even better then KNOPPIX and that is really hard to do. Now even tho I am singing FC3 ture, there is still things that need to be improved. Like x86_64 support, MP3 player by defult (Come on now VideoLAN anybody?), missing a few "key" files. Some issues I have seen and gone pretty fast much thanks to the community. (Like you guys, thank you all very much for all of your help)

Shadow Skill
10th January 2005, 03:45 AM
I think Fedora itself is excellent most of its problems are actually related to crummy third party apps, but of course there is always room for improvement, I think it would be great if they made sure sound mixing worked for both of the main window managers out of the box.

tardboy21
10th January 2005, 04:16 AM
I rated Fedora Core 3 as excellent for a few reasons. one is that it is free as opposed to windows that charges $200 just for the operating system, and then $450 for Office. This is all inclusive. Second, it is very customizeable. I am new to Fedora and was mad at first when i couldn't play mp3's, but it is easy to install the plug-ins and customize lots of other aspects. the layout is also great because discs and USB drives show right up on the desktop. The partitioning is also convenient, in case the OS messes up, yo can reinstall it and all your documents won't be deleted.

Some of these are just towards linux in general, but i love FC3.
I am not saying i don't have any problems with Fedora, but for a free OS, it is exceptionally good.

bob
10th January 2005, 04:26 AM
FC3 was decent, but buggy, and since my sister made off with my test machine, I am happily using the FC2 main box with no problems. Since FC2 does the job for me, I'm in no rush to return to FC3 but will wait for FC4.

carbo18
10th January 2005, 04:34 AM
I think my biggest prob with not giving fedora core 3 an excellent is that gnome and kde do not seem to have integrated nicely with xorg(I'm sure this a common linux distro prob). Also gnome needs some work with adding menu items and choosing default apps for certain file types... It should just be easier than editing config files by hand.(also sure this a common linux distro prob)

Other than that my probs are mostly with 3rd party apps. The anouncement of Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 for linux is nice news given that I have to print some pdfs from a windows machine to actually get them to print...

Driver are vastly improved as well as USB.

I think all and all things are getting better. And there is great potential for future FC4 :D

imdeemvp
10th January 2005, 06:02 AM
FC3 was decent, but buggy, and since my sister made off with my test machine, I am happily using the FC2 main box with no problems. Since FC2 does the job for me, I'm in no rush to return to FC3 but will wait for FC4.
I am with you. For some reason fc2 does bettter I did update the kernel but dont use the latest I am still stuck at 2.6.7 version which works great for all my needs.

Dog-One
10th January 2005, 07:36 AM
I like pushing my OS to its limits, which is why Fedora was appealing to me. There are a lot of small issues with FC3--it lacks polish. Actually, on the surface it's pretty good, but under the hood, I still see a lot of grease and grime and very little candy apple hot rod red paint. It's getting a little too feature rich for my taste. I'd like to see the feature set freeze for six months and just clean things up and get the packages and the kernel solid. I would be happy if FC4 doesn't offer anything new-n-improved as long as it fixes many of the things in FC3 that should have been cleaner to start with.

Shadow Skill
10th January 2005, 07:55 AM
But then would it be bleeding edge? I actually wanted to load suse9.1 this last reformat on my desktop but it refuses to install at all, it has to do with my keyboard it appears that the usb driver module in 9.1 does not like my mx duo for bluetooth. I suspect this is the same general bug that affects every fc Kernel I have ever used in which the system hangs during boot because it fails to detect the mouse properly [its a bluetooth mouse and the hub acts as a bluetooth reciever.] I had to go crawling back to Fedora since it is the only distro I know of that I like at all [Mandrake was just eeehhh.]that at least works most of the time with my overly expensive keyboard. On my Laptop FC3 is great, much better than Suse ever was, even if Suse is more professional, I'm going to try downloading Suse 9.2 and running that installer and seeing what happens, maybe they updated that bug since 9.1 pro.

imdeemvp
10th January 2005, 08:09 AM
Shadow Skill, do you have the free space for suse? Some distros are picky. I also agree when it comes to tweaking fedora is great but some settings and new apps should be polish. I noticed some users had disappeared from the forum due to encoutering many issues with fc3 and are now trying out other distros.

deuch
10th January 2005, 08:23 AM
I like Fedora Core 3. But it stills little bugs ...

USB and MP3 works fine, but mplayer and mplayer-plugin are ugly ... sometime it works or not ...
I think Xine is a good choice for stability but it's plugin for firefox is not very good ...

And a strange bug in OpenOffice : With Calc, if i enter a word whixh is not recognize by the dictionnary and i right-click on the cell, my HD start to work for 5mn and after calc close "him" by itself !!!
Very Strange !!!

But FC3 works well on my old laptop and i haven't got big problems ... Just some little glitches that can be fixed for sure !

deuch

the_profiler
10th January 2005, 09:18 AM
well.. it is great (since i had been longing for a newer distro than my old red hat 9), but there's something that limits me.. can't make it to detect my sound card/or (yes, it detects my sound card) but there's no sound heard on the test! Well, no problems so far except this one and its strict mount/unmount of devices.. kinda weird.

harlequin
10th January 2005, 10:25 AM
I like FC3, I've not experimented with other distros, but I think that I'm going to settle on it for now. It does everything that I ask of it, programming and some web browsing. It also allows me to have a decent play around with a completly configurable OS. (well... much more configurable than XP)

sailor
10th January 2005, 04:21 PM
I voted for needs some improvement, but then again that is what it should be since it is a testing/beta/bleeding edge type distro....

Woad_Warrior, I have SuSE 9.2 (retail) on my second harddrive, it works great except for the "media".
They give all the software like totem, xine...etc but due to licensing you don't get the codecs.
These can be found but not through yast, unless you use a alternate sources location.
I ended up installing Mplayer for my movie needs...

DaBlade
10th January 2005, 09:02 PM
It's OK, but it needs some improvement...
Examples: nVIDIA drivers are hard to install on FC3, but not on other distros. Why?
FC pushes gnome while others may prefer KDE or XFCE. It should be optional.
Many applications need to have the directory in the name to work. For example /sbin/modprobe in stead of just modprobe
It's still using aRts and ESD sound, while it should upgrade to ALSA.
RPMs take a while to get updated (dosn't apply to Livna and DAG)
Up2Date is one of the buggiest apps I've ever seen. Is this what u wanna greet Linux newbs with? Get f-ing Synaptic
XMMS-mp3 should come with FC.
KDE isn't too stable here vs. other distros
Just my two cents...

SuperNu
11th January 2005, 05:51 AM
I voted for needs some improvement as well. My main problem is with cd burning/scsi cdroms. I have a diamond fireport 40 scsi card (needs to be upgraded but works fine), a plextor ultraplex 40 cdrom, a plextor plexwriter 12/4/32 and a toshiba dvd rom drive. When I run cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info the speed for my cdrom is set to 1x when it should be 40x. This has been the case with every FC3 kernel I have tried. Because of this, ripping my cds into mp3 takes forever. Fortunately, the cd-rw and dvdrom drive are unaffected. Also, cd buring seems to be hit or miss. I have had a few buffer underruns when burning cds. I have never had buffer underruns until FC3 under linux. Other than these slight problems, I don't have any other known problems.

--SN

imdeemvp
11th January 2005, 06:46 AM
XMMS-mp3 should come with FC
This is something that has a patent and may never be in fedora.

owakroeger
23rd January 2005, 01:26 AM
I sort-of agree with what 'dog-one' said, lots of new features, but kinda messy under the hood. (paraphrased) 37 years of fixing things led me to conclude that every new bell or whistle brings another opportunity for failure. Feature rich is only as valuable as the teatures you'll actually use, AND the reliability and useability of those features.
I've only had FC3 running full time for about a week, which isn't a very good test drive. It does, however, run all the things I need to run. I like the greatly improved Mozilla suite, with the pre-installed java, j2re, et al. I chose not to use Firefox/Thunderbird since I already use Moz suite.
It does seem to be quicker to launch programs and multitask without slowing significantly. Time will be a better judge. Thus, I gave it an OK, but needs improvement. Improvement does not mean more features, rather honing and improving the features we have for greater reliability.

dickinsd
23rd January 2005, 01:51 AM
Love FC3,

thought FC2 was pretty good, but there is that extra bit to FC3, nothings perfect, so I opted for the It's OK but needs improvement

Seems to work, but there are just a few small things that make it "not quite there yet"

Dave

dickinsd
23rd January 2005, 01:54 AM
XMMS-mp3 should come with FCThis is something that has a patent and may never be in fedora.

Shame, it seems kinda stupid not to include it as standard

Dave

alt_ctrl_del
23rd January 2005, 02:10 AM
Let me first preface my comment(s) by admitting (clearly) that I am soo green @ Linux that I will have to work hard just to achieve "newbie" status.
After spending a lot of time struggling with the RH distribution of 7.3 (some time ago) and never getting it to perform properly, I found FC3 way cool. Even though I killed 4-5 CDROM disks before I figured out that ISO thing, once I got the install started, it was smooth sailing from there. Even the patch update worked clean (albeit forever to download from the mirror site I selected). So far, I have not had any of the issues I had with 7.3. Now, I only have to put up with my "spousel unit" complaining about my renewed relationship with my computer. :D

imdeemvp
23rd January 2005, 02:12 AM
Will all dont agree with it.....but at least we know how to obtain it and install it. So far fc3 has worked very good in my laptop. I tried mdk 10.1 on it but have way to many issues with acpi but now is hassle free. That more you use fedora that more you will love it.

tshark7
24th January 2005, 05:08 PM
I've been playing and working with Linux for years since the days of Caldera. I've probally personally installed and used the top 15 distros at one time or another. I personally prefer a distro that has all the newsoftware and is mostyle stable. I currently have FC3 running on my two laptops and my desktop/printserver/fileserver. I't worked so smooth that even my wife who hates messing with computers is converted to Linux. The first thing she told me when we got the new desktop was "you better put Fedora on it, it just works and I don't want any problems". While she hasn't had to fix problems and read through groupd for hours on end it works great for me.
Pros:
- Easy install
- Good gnome support
- very current software (now I won't even use another distro unless it has atleast gnome 2.8 or kerner 2.6.10)
- I like the redhat graphic style (Bluecurve is great!)
- well balanced software selection.
Cons:
- The initial learning curve with yum was tough for me (I use yum only for system updates, but apt-get and synaptic for installing new software)
- it is a little memory hungry on my old Toshiba
- it's not completly stable, but then again, what is?

Joey
24th January 2005, 10:37 PM
When I first tried FC3, I liked it a lot but I've recently been using Xandros 2 OCE mostly because Xandros just seems to work without much configuration. I still haven't been able to solve my problem of getting my volume settings saved instead of resetting back to 0 everytime I reboot the computer. This is a Gnome issue but I wish they had a "open file manager as root" option so that when I need to change something under root, I can do so easily. I would use KDE but KDE is extremely messy in FC3 IMO. I've been using XFCE 4.2 lately in FC3 instead of Gnome.

The thing I do like about FC3 is the enormous amount of software that is available under apt/synaptic and that it is so easy to update using apt/synaptic. Not too big a fan of Yum. I tried GYUM but that still didn't sell me on it since it seemed to be extremely slow compared to apt for me.

imdeemvp
25th January 2005, 08:28 AM
t's not completly stable, but then again, what is?
Agree....nothing in this life has a gurantee only paying taxes and dying.

roolegion
25th January 2005, 03:49 PM
I don't care what other people are saying about Fedora Core 3 - it is a pretty darn good system that has picked up everything else for me that I need to use ... so far. I haven't played cds or did CD burning. Nor have I played any mp3s. However, the one main concern that I have is this bloody PITA Grub bootloader ! If they can figure that out, then half of this forum's threads would disappear !

dfxshadow
26th January 2005, 12:26 AM
Im a complete noob, FC3 can use alot of improvement in the area of CD media, Mounting drives has been a horible venture and i still havent gotten it completed, But im a noob, so its probably more me than anything.

imdeemvp
26th January 2005, 09:01 AM
Im a complete noob, FC3 can use alot of improvement in the area of CD media, Mounting drives has been a horible venture and i still havent gotten it completed, But im a noob, so its probably more me than anything.
Did you enable selinux? Because that can be a problem for regular users. I dont use it at all.

jimispier
28th January 2005, 09:28 PM
I put excellent, but there is always room for improvement.. However, the software and the OS is free so who am I to complain..

I use Fedora all the time, the only time I use windows is to play Disney's toontown online with my wife or son..
Other then that I am a full time Fedora user.. I am even writing a book on the subject

SlowJet
2nd February 2005, 07:28 PM
I think FC3 is good compared to RedHat 3.x lol

There is a lack of help Mens on toolss.
No printing on some programs.
The whole LO lockdown without a GUI for IPTables and SELinux configuring makes it iffy to use on a direct internet or unprotectd setup.
The etho gets reset and never works without intervention.
The SoundBlaster Live card is recoginised but no sound. When you ask to detect it, FC3 becomes rude and abrup and says so it does work bye.
The video drivers are past versioins. Nvidia AGP running at less than half speed.
Can't auto up date due to it's need for source and compiling.
Inconsistant instuction and help from members no accounting for SELinux or the kernal number for package installs.
Iniital install grabs the whole disk. Making the first intal wothless.
No appearent path to backup program or explaination of system, dtata, boot permissions or recovery cleavets.
UP2Date goes nuts everyother time it is used.
No explaination of keys for packages, who to trust, what version is old or new or just right.
Inconsist package naming.
No list of what this update fixes these bugs, these bugs still pending.
Needs more help on services - compatable, multually exclusive, good, better, best, best pactices for secuity.
No auto GUI switcher without logoff.
No VNC cleint explainnation.
Adds program menus from one GUI to all GUI without asking.
Does NOT use real user names First M. Last (a big problem for mixed user networks.)

There is probably more but since I can't trust the IPTables it sits behind a FW and displays pretty pictures.

SJ

owakroeger
3rd February 2005, 12:04 PM
I had rated FC3 as good but needs improvement. After my recent problems, described in another post on General Support, I would have to conclude that it definitely needs improvement.
Personally, I would rather see fewer bells and whistles, and greater functionality and stability of the existing bells and whistles. For example, stop shipping the alsa sound mixer with the default of muted. Or else, put a message in the anaconda installer when it comes to testing the sound that we'll have to unmute and adjust alsa before we can test sound. Another example, if we're going to have up2date as a tool for updating, get some mirror sites or don't even mention up2date as an option. Also, offer apt-get/ synaptic as an option, in addition to yum. Frankly, yum moves at a snail's pace compared to synaptic, and yum takes more to configure and use, and it's behavior is sometimes quirky.
In short, fix some of the known problems before introducing options which will likely introduce new problems.
owa

University of Birmingham Photos - The League Barbershop - James Logan High School