PDA

View Full Version : nautilus is missing Add in Open_With in file Properties

zimon
16th October 2015, 10:39 AM
Noticed, I am no longer able to choose an alternative video player software by right clicking over a video file and choosing one of the other video plyaers which used to show in Nautilus of Fedora 22.

There is "Open With Other Application", but it needs two extra clicks.

Also if I go to File Properties > Open Width, it shows Recommended Applications and I can choose one, but the "Add"-button is grey and cannot be pushed.

Can someone reproduce and confirm, or is this just my F23 system which has this feature missing?

alphacrucis
16th October 2015, 11:22 AM
Add is greyed out unless you select anything listed under "other applications". This makes sense as the recommended applications are already "added". You can select any of those and make default. So I don't really see what the problem is?

joncr
16th October 2015, 11:23 AM
Also if I go to File Properties > Open Width, it shows Recommended Applications and I can choose one, but the "Add"-button is grey and cannot be pushed.

Here, the "Add" button becomes active after highlighting a listed application.

zimon
16th October 2015, 11:28 AM
Ok, for me too. So the "Add" is not broken.

What has changed then, there is no longer submenu in a context menu of Nautilus over a file, where those Recommended Applcations could be opened "quicly". Now it takes three mouse clicks more to open one of the recommended applications. In Fedora 21&22 (Older GNOME) it took only 1 click, or 1 release of the right-side-button if you kept your 2nd mouse button pressed when you went there. There was like a secondary sub menu in context menu where were a list of all favorite applications for this type of file. Now there is only that "Open With Other Application".

alphacrucis
16th October 2015, 11:32 AM
Yes. Nautilus devs make some strange decisions at times.