PDA

View Full Version : proposed sticky topics....

kevmif
29th December 2004, 05:01 AM
the guide on anaconda options was pretty useful

Personally, I'd like to see a heap of stickies regarding fairly common installation issues...

for example, i'd like it if someone wrote a good guide to installing a newer kernel - i've managed to do it and its not really simple! so a nice guide would be really useful

bob
29th December 2004, 05:09 AM
I think the "How To' section handles that - here's a couple of entries:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27135
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30608

Frankly, this is one area I haven't tackled yet. Since you've had success, why not add your input? It would be greatly appreciated

kevmif
29th December 2004, 05:15 AM
there is a howto section? whooops. sorry :)

my experiances are that after I install a new kernel, everything turns to sh1t!!!!

owakroeger
29th December 2004, 05:25 AM
Specific problems, with accompanying pertinent information, such as what you were doing when it failed, any error messages, kernel used, specific hardware or application information which might be related to the problem.... make troubleshooting much easier than, "It's broke!"
Can you be more specific?

owa

kevmif
29th December 2004, 05:29 AM
well, that would be my general experiances with kernal installations.... thats why a how-to written by someone who knows what they are talking about (like many of the people here) would be useful.

owakroeger
29th December 2004, 05:41 AM
Ah. Okay. Sorry if I sounded snarly. 37 years of hearing, "its broke"......
One that I think is very good for custom building kernels, there are several, is
http://www.webhostgear.com/138.html
You start with a vanilla kernel from http://kernel.org
BACKUP before you start.
The instructions are pretty straight forward.
I would just add these tips to his presentation;
Do everything as 'user' until you have to change to 'su' at the step, #make modules_install
Since it might take a few tries till you get your kernel just right, name your attempts something unique, i.e. 2.6.9W4Lak122804. the kernel, any special patches, your initials, and the date. Then, when you have everything just the way you want it, housekeeping, getting rid of the clutter of unused bzimages, etc., from your /boot directory will be easier.... the same with your /usr/src
BACKUP your work, including the kernel you just tinkered with, and your entire /boot directory, as well as /lib/modules

I hope this is helpful.

owa

kevmif
29th December 2004, 05:59 AM
thats sorta helpful - i generally don't like custom kernels, try to stick with the plain ones as much as possible.

Dunno why ppl don't just use root as the main accout. I tried using a "normal" account once and I was typing in su everytime I wanted to do something. What a joke!

owakroeger
29th December 2004, 06:15 AM
The reason for doing MOST things as 'user' and only those really necessary things as 'su' is to protect your system. You do something dumb as 'user', and you just kill 'user' stuff. You do something dumb as 'su' or root, and you kill your machine.
Also, external security becomes an issue whenever you're logged in as root. If you're hacked as 'user', usually only 'user' stuff is affected. If you're hacked as root, the entire box is exposed.

I have more trouble with rpm installed kernels than I do with rolling my own, mostly because the rpm kernels just can't seem to recognize my usb belkin mouse. I've rolled so many of my own kernels that it's almost like rollin a smoke with one hand....... naw. That ain't true. But, as with anything else, the more you work at something, the easier it gets. Depending on what modules are being built and installed, I can usually start from scratch with a vanilla kernel from kernel.org, patch it, name it, configure it, build bzImage, build modules, and install it, and configure grub in a morning, or less.
I have an AMD Duron 1.3Ghz, which is pretty fast, but slow by some standards. It does help that I've done so many, but practice, practice, practice.....

owa

kevmif
29th December 2004, 06:24 AM
fair enuff - you sound like u really do know what ur on about :)

Hopefully one day I will have similar knowledge :D

owakroeger
29th December 2004, 06:30 AM
Well, thanks, but what I'm about to say is FACT. The more I learn about computers in general, and linux specifically, the more I know how REALLY STUPID I am.

owa

crackers
29th December 2004, 07:38 PM
NOT "stupid" - just un-informed. Stupid is a completely different category - the line for that department is in another building...

Ug
29th December 2004, 10:13 PM
Um... kinda off topic.

Closed.