PDA

View Full Version : How to close a question...

Adesso
24th December 2004, 09:34 AM
I noticed that some questions are closed but for the life of me I can not figure out how I can do that ...

If I started the Thread should it not be possible for me ONLY to close this question when I have the correct answer.. ? or suggestion...

Just wondering .. and hoping ..

imdeemvp
24th December 2004, 09:37 AM
That is done just before you post the thread. You can issue a time limit for you thread. Once is posted I believe the mods and adms. are the only one's capable of closing the thread. Send the a pm if you want to close a thread.

Tashiro
24th December 2004, 11:12 AM
Hi

Maybe somebody has something to add (question or suggestion) in the future?

Closing every thread with an answer will increase crossposting and multiposting. So this will result in the same questions and answers scattered over the forum.
Tashiro

foolish
26th December 2004, 06:41 PM
We had the feature of closing questions enabled for a while, but it was disabled because most users didn't return and close their questions, so it only led to more work for the moderators.

Adesso
27th December 2004, 10:20 PM
In my opinion the question answer option should work. The reason why this forum is here is to share the stuff between ourselfs, right. So if someone has already answerd the question , why do it again... why not make a search and find it.. I would. .. instead of asking the question again..

The the problem is what if the answer doesn get accepted... well that is easy. On Experts Exchange they have this idea of a time limit.. and I think itś good... but the diffrence to their solution is ... send the mail to the participants of the question... so may close the question or moderate assist. Then when the participants are done making the question proper.. they pass it on to a modorator, that approves it.. and finally closes the thing.

I mean .. if I am will to help a guy on a question.. then I am also willing to help finish the solution... so that if itś don Then you can archive the question for later use or searching.. The Modorator has only to read and approve the question.

What do you think.. ?

Ug
28th December 2004, 08:49 AM
So if someone has already answerd the question , why do it again... why not make a search and find it.. I would. .. instead of asking the question again..
The vast majority of the users sadly don't search.

james_in_denver
28th December 2004, 09:40 AM
Perhaps you could mark a question "closed" if the person that opened the thread left positive feedback?

Just a thought.

Ug
28th December 2004, 05:08 PM
Thats floored i'm afraid. Users give positive feedback occasionally, just for trying to help.

sailor
28th December 2004, 07:35 PM
There used to be a "Resolved or solved" button that would be clicked to indicate that the question was answered and the issue solved, or am I dreaming again :p

Ug
29th December 2004, 09:44 AM
Yea - Foolish mentioned it closer to the top of the page. Well done for waking up sailorsgh. :p

sailor
29th December 2004, 03:28 PM
huh...*yawn* ok I see it now...I would like that feature back..

Ug
29th December 2004, 09:14 PM
I'm still pretty unconvinced by its merits. It is a lot of work.

sailor
30th December 2004, 07:32 PM
It does require that someone click it...I guess a simple message saying "thanks that worked" would accomplish the same