PDA

View Full Version : include gnome-tweak-tool

theking2
28th September 2014, 04:03 PM
Ive not met a single F20 user that hasn't installed the gnome-tweak-tool. Shouldn't this be on the default installation list?

(or is there a list of things that will and will not be included on F21 standard install.)

lsatenstein
3rd October 2014, 04:15 PM
This is a Fedora distribution. Fedora uses Gnome, but the Fedora distribution does not promote specifically named non-Fedora adopted stuff. And for Fedora 21, thus far, most of the external tweaks do not work. I use the weather tweak, and a few others. Ones that I use in F20 are not yet converted to F21 standards.

jff
3rd October 2014, 05:57 PM
Ive not met a single F20 user that hasn't installed the gnome-tweak-tool.

Those users who hasn't installed the gnome-tweak-tool use other desktop environments as gnome-shell is not the best for desktops/laptops.

Dutchy
3rd October 2014, 07:41 PM
Shouldn't this be on the default installation list?
Yes, it should be.

hiGuys
3rd October 2014, 10:09 PM
Shouldn't this be on the default installation list?

Yes, it should be.

Agreed. It's more or less a necessity to using Gnome in any meaningful way.

theking2
4th October 2014, 10:57 AM
Those users who hasn't installed the gnome-tweak-tool use other desktop environments as gnome-shell is not the best for desktops/laptops.

That's a new can of worms, but I would be interested what would be a better shell for dekstops/laptops. I have not seen anything (that is not a very weak rip-off of the MS desktop manager or Unity).

sea
4th October 2014, 11:24 AM
Hmm... Me using the 'Awesome' Window Manager, its based upon LUA.
Either you love it, or hate it ;)
And one thing is for sure, its no 'rip-off' of Windows, Gnome or Unity at all.

Though, i have to admit, Gnome did lock me to Fedora back with the F15 Lovelock release.
However, i soon realized that if i want it to be confugred the way i want it, that was easier accomplished using another Interface completly.

Back to topic, eventhough i no longer use Gnome, i would agree that the gnome-tweak-tool could be shiped with the Desktop-Workstation (is this the new naming?).
But then again, the valid argument of the extensions not beeing maintained by the Gnome devs, this also could increase difficulties experienced upon updates..

jff
4th October 2014, 11:28 AM
That's a new can of worms, but I would be interested what would be a better shell for dekstops/laptops. I have not seen anything (that is not a very weak rip-off of the MS desktop manager or Unity).

It's matter of opinion. Someone are happy with gnome-shell, but I am not.
I appreciate usability, ergonomics and configurability/adaptability.

There's some other options, like Xfce, KDE, Cinnamon, Mate and Enlightenment.

theking2
4th October 2014, 01:57 PM
gnome3 beats them all. sorry
It's ergnomic, configurable and adaptable. and it does not get in the way with silly multilevel menu's.

But that is also an opinion. Which leaves the question: if gnome3 is the chosen one why not include all the tools to optimize its behaviour. I got the somewhat arbitrary answer: gnome-tweak-tool is not part of upstream.

jff
4th October 2014, 02:44 PM
gnome3 beats them all. sorry
It's ergnomic, configurable and adaptable. and it does not get in the way with silly multilevel menu's.

But that is also an opinion. Which leaves the question: if gnome3 is the chosen one why not include all the tools to optimize its behaviour. I got the somewhat arbitrary answer: gnome-tweak-tool is not part of upstream.

If gnome-shell is configurable, wonder why you still seeking gnome-tweak-tool;)

Finalzone
4th October 2014, 09:29 PM
I got the somewhat arbitrary answer: gnome-tweak-tool is not part of upstream.

That is incorrect. Gnome-tweak-tool is part of upstream since 3.6 version but not as default in Fedora release.
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-tweak-tool/
Ordinary users spend little time configuring and are mostly happy with default setting. Gnome Shell can be also configured with dconf-editor or gsettings. The recent addition of GTK Inspector (https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK%2B/Inspector) similar to browser like Firefox or Google Chrome further display the flexibility.

If gnome-shell is configurable, wonder why you still seeking gnome-tweak-tool;)

Gnome-tweak-tool is essentially a GUI for gsettings.