PDA

View Full Version : new netscape?

ashleysnix
18th December 2004, 07:11 AM
gday all

this is not really a linux question, but...

i currently use firefox for almost all web browsing, however i need internet explorer for work & internet banking.

currently my ie is corrupt - constant "page cannot be displayed" error, images won't download... no matter what settings i try, ie or firewall, ie just won't behave.

i hear that netscape are releasing a new version, which will use both mozilla & ie engines?

does anyone know where i may be able to download a beta version of this for windows? (and hopefully save me from ie hell...)

thanks for any help

cheers

ashley

imdeemvp
18th December 2004, 07:45 AM
Hello there but just incase you did not know there is also firefox for windows. You can use in linux and in windoz. In windows just do a google search for firefox and it should take you to a windows download. I also use firefox in M$.

foolish
18th December 2004, 12:30 PM
There is a new netscape navigator coming along, and if you're using windows it'll be capable of rendering web pages using the internet explorer engine.

The real question to me is: Why would anyone on earth want to use this browser?

It has a terrible user interface (see screenshot), using the internet explorer engine instead of the gecko (mozilla) engine is silly, as the gecko engine is far superior, and it follows the standards. Use firefox, netscape navigator is dead and should stay dead!

Screenshot of the new navigator here: http://gemal.dk/misc/nsb05.png
More: http://gemal.dk/blog/2004/11/30/netscape_browser_screenshots/

ashleysnix
18th December 2004, 02:46 PM
hey imdeemvp & foolish

i'm currently using fireworks under windows (and yes i think it is the best browser), however i still need ie for work & internet banking (can't do much about that, seems a lot of sites are designed to be used in ie).

since i can't seem to get ie working correctly, i thought netscape would be the next best thing...

ashley

ashleysnix
19th December 2004, 03:11 AM
i don't think it will solve my ie problem after all...

from CNET:

...it takes advantage of the IE version installed with most Windows operating systems to let people view specific pages in IE by selecting a drop-down menu option.

http://news.com.com/New+Netscape+embraces+Firefox,+IE/2100-1032_3-5470378.html

ashley

Shadow Skill
19th December 2004, 03:18 AM
Have you tried reinstalling windows?

side note:
That netscape hybrid thing is the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard of why wouldn't I just open up IE for an IE only page? Why don't they help the other browsers out there push for sane coding standards that will work across platforms, instead of becoming nothing more than a gui front end for the crapware known as IE?

ashleysnix
19th December 2004, 03:25 AM
hey shadow skill

i reinstalled winxp sp2 last week and this is how ie turned out.

as much as i dislike ie (and like firefox), i still need ie unfortunatley.

as i have just installed xp along with everything i need for work, i'd rather find a fix for ie, or find an alternative that uses the ie engine.

cheers

ashley

h4d
19th December 2004, 03:48 AM
It has a terrible user interface (see screenshot)
It is the most horrible thing on earth!

Also, I'm guessing this netscape will be vulnerable to all of IEs vulnerabilities. I completely dissagree with netscape's crappy new navigator!

sailor
19th December 2004, 04:17 AM
This is the new Netscape after AOL bought them?
I used Netscape for a long time, from version 1 through 6 and by the time it had become version 6 it was a slow, bloated and unusable...with AOL running the show I doubt you will see any improvment in the browser if fact I suspect that it will eventually kill Netscape.

t3gah
19th December 2004, 04:17 AM
I bet the users of Netscape want the IE thing because of the tabs that IE can't do!

Maybe some day someone will show them Mozilla Firefox.

Netscape will never die. It's just like Apple. There will always be an audience that prefers something different. Nevermind if there is no expandability and no cross-platform compliance. Nevermind all the other websites that make it crash or don't look like they do with other browsers. It just won't matter because users of Netscape don't really care. They only care that they are not using Internet Destroyer (IE). All the users of Netscape are after is Composer IMHO. :)

imdeemvp
19th December 2004, 04:33 AM
Well, the screenshowts are the that ugly and there is always a possibility of changing the theme. I never used it nor I will. FIrefox is my choice. Now I dont know what kind of problems you are having when viewing certain sites but I am pretty sure is due to some app not doing its job correctly.

Shadow Skill
19th December 2004, 05:54 AM
Hmm did IE work before you put service pack 2 on your Xp? I don't have such an issue when I am in windows like I am right now, although I only use service pack 1. [I refuse to install something I consider viral in nature knowingly at least. :) ]

ashleysnix
19th December 2004, 06:35 AM
i can't honestly remember... i pretty much installed sp2 as soon as i finished installing winxp.

i'm uninstalling sp2 now, so will be interesting to see how ie reacts.

ashleysnix
19th December 2004, 12:49 PM
5 hours later ie is working again for me...

tried uninstalling sp2 but that didn't fix ie, so reinstalled winxp with sp1 (no sp2).

joy...

Shadow Skill
19th December 2004, 11:29 PM
HEHEHE I had a feeling it was that virus known as SP2. :) I am so glad I made a slipstreamed XP pro sp1 cd so long ago.

Hopatcong Hills - Bielany Travel Photos - Robertsganj Instagram Photos