PDA

View Full Version : How to ndiswrapper in Fedora

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darkmage
15th December 2004, 07:19 AM
I originally had a write up on linuxquestions.org at Broadcom (http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=810) but after some time, I found an easy way of making things work

If you want ndiswrapper from cvs then use the above link else download the stable version from
ndiswrapper (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/)

or
Please make sure kernel-devel is installed to make the install easy and painless :)
If you have FC4 and have /etc/yum.repo.d/livna.repo configured

[livna-stable]
name=Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.lvn
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

# yum --enablerepo=livna-stable install ndiswrapper kernel-module-ndiswrapper-$(uname -r)

or for FC5 do this

# yum -y install kmod-ndiswrapper

For my case, I have a Broadcom BCM9306 chipset and the windows driver needed is bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys. Move both files to a folder in your home directory called bcmwl. I hope you know you first have to creat the folder bcmwl
mkdir bcmwl

Do the "make install" only if you have the source file. I will strongly recommend the rpm file from livna
Open a terminal and uncompress ndiswrapper.

Go to the ndiswrapper folder and as root

#make install --do this if you downloaded the source file or skip this if you used the livna rpm

# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i <your home directory>/bcmwl/bcmwl5.inf
...this command will create a folder in /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/bcmwl5.inf
# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
-- make sure it says "bcmwl5 present"
# /sbin/depmod -a
#/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
# dmesg
--you will see a log about the driver been loaded if you do then
# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -m
--create an alias in /etc/modprobe.conf

Here comes the easy part :cool:
close terminal and point your cursor to Desktop -->System Settings -->Network Configuration and type in the root's password when prompted.
In Network Configuration, click on New and then "Select Device type box" shows, highlight Wireless connection and click on "Forward".
This brings up the "Select Wireless Device box" window, which has ndiswrapper(wlan0) highlighted, then click "Forward".
This bring up the "Configure Wireless Connection box" which allows you to set the mode, ssid, channel, rate and hex key. After you are done, click "Forward"
This brings up the "Configure Network Settings box" which allows you to set the dhcp, dns and ip address. When you are done, then click forward.
The next box "Create Wireless Device box" has all you settings for you to double check before hitting apply.
When you hit apply, it should take you back to Network Configuration, highlight the created wlan0 and click "Edit" which allows you to fine tune the configuration, like if you want all users to be able to enable wlan0, if you want wlan0 to start on boot etc. Go though the tabs and check everything and make sure it is up to your specification, then click "Ok" and then the final thing
on "Network Configuration", click on "File" and then "Save"

If every is correct, you can then click on activate to activate wlan0

If you have any constructive comments please post

Below are screenshots and broadcom drivers and on page 13, I have posted the newer driver

SQFreak
15th December 2004, 07:31 AM
My wireless card (Dell TrueMobile 1350 I think) requires bcmwl5a. It works fine when I use the commandline utilities to work with it (iwconfig, iwscan, dhcpd, ifconfig, etc.), but the Network utility won't see the card.

ndiswrapper version 0.12 loaded (preempt=no,smp=no)
usbcore: registered new driver dellomci
ndiswrapper: driver dellomci () added
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:01:03.0[A] -> GSI 7 (level, low) -> IRQ 7
ndiswrapper: using irq 7
divert: allocating divert_blk for wlan0
wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:90:96:bb:f6:69 using driver bcmwl5a
wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP, WPA with TKIP, WPA with AES/CCMP
ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5a (Broadcom,02/17/2004, 3.40.65.0) added
ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (Broadcom,02/17/2004, 3.40.65.0) added

Any suggestions?

Darkmage
15th December 2004, 07:42 AM
What is the output of /etc/modprobe.conf

Shadow Skill
16th December 2004, 09:52 AM
Gah I finally got my card to work again after reading this, I forgot about the -m flag that creates the appropriate alias for ndiswrapper. I was starting to loose hope until I read this, thanks for posting it.

Darkmage
16th December 2004, 09:57 AM
I am glad this helped and yes you are right the key to ndiswrapper in Fedora is
ndiswrapper -m
I think this allows the Network Configuration to detect it and can then be configured with the gui tool :D

Shadow Skill
16th December 2004, 11:01 AM
that creates the alias the gui tool needs in modprobe.conf...elusive thing it is.

andywhitehurst
4th April 2005, 10:49 PM
hi there...

i followed this guide and it seems to have worked without any problems... having manually set the ip details for my dlink dwl-g520+ card from my router's ip management details i can activate the wireless connection...

i'm pretty green when it comes to linux however and i was wondering what else i need to do to actually get the internet working; i get a 'google.co.uk could not be found' type error when i run firefox... am i missing something really obvious?

Darkmage
5th April 2005, 06:41 AM
hi there...

i followed this guide and it seems to have worked without any problems... having manually set the ip details for my dlink dwl-g520+ card from my router's ip management details i can activate the wireless connection...

i'm pretty green when it comes to linux however and i was wondering what else i need to do to actually get the internet working; i get a 'google.co.uk could not be found' type error when i run firefox... am i missing something really obvious?

Since you can activate your wireless connection, post the output of
/sbin/iwconfig

solidsnake
6th April 2005, 12:29 AM
Beautiful, hopefully this is the solution to my problem. :P

EDIT: Do I still have to make a symlink for the modules folder? That seems to be my main area of frustration. :(

Darkmage
6th April 2005, 03:15 AM
Beautiful, hopefully this is the solution to my problem. :P

EDIT: Do I still have to make a symlink for the modules folder? That seems to be my main area of frustration. :(

Please specify what modules you want to make a symlink to. I am trying to understand your question.

solidsnake
6th April 2005, 06:32 AM
Please specify what modules you want to make a symlink to. I am trying to understand your question.

It seems I resolved that problem, ndiswrapper works fine, however, now i get this error when trying to install the .inf file:

Installing mrv8k51
Parse error in inf. Unable to find section W8100PCI.zerocfg

Wireless card is a DWL-G510, driver was downloaded from dlink for the revA version. I'm stuck at this point, because ndiswrapper says it is installed even though i get the above error, but it will not work. :(

Darkmage
7th April 2005, 12:32 PM
It seems I resolved that problem, ndiswrapper works fine, however, now i get this error when trying to install the .inf file:

Installing mrv8k51

Wireless card is a DWL-G510, driver was downloaded from dlink for the revA version. I'm stuck at this point, because ndiswrapper says it is installed even though i get the above error, but it will not work. :(

My suggestion as root, delete /etc/ndiswrapper with
rm -fr /etc/ndiswrapper
then install your *.inf file again with
ndiswrapper -i <this contains the location of your .inf file

After the above, try to bring up your wireless connection

solidsnake
7th April 2005, 04:29 PM
Darkmage,

I believe I was using an incorrect driver, or I completed one of the steps out of place. Everything works now! :D Your guide was a big help, thanks again mate ;)

My installation of a DWL-G510 RevB:

Before I begin, I want to say that you need to update your kernel to a 16k stack size first and foremost: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Fedora

I copied the drivers from the install CD included with my wireless PCI card directly to my home folder.

After running # make install, I had to run "# bash -l" in order for it to recognize the ndiswrapper command.

All other installation was just as Darkmage described, hopefully you are all familiar enough with routers to get the IP information set correctly for the wireless card. For some reason, the software made it default to Channel 1, and I cannot seem to change this option, so I set my router to broadcast 802.11g on Channel 1 instead of 9.

I was running WEP and a MAC filter on my wireless network prior to this, but I had to disable all of them in order to troubleshoot this card. Now, I guess I will gradually turn those options back on and see if I can get them to work properly. :D

All I can say is patience and perseverence will get you up and running 8)

Darkmage
8th April 2005, 01:30 AM
@solidsnake
I am glad you got it working. :D The 16k stack is recommended but not required because I am using the development kernel.
For the Channel, the default is 1 but, you can change it.
Click on System settings,
then highlight and click on Network,
type in the root password,
hightlight your wireless connection
Click Edit on the Top menu
Go to the tab that says Wireless Settings
Here you can change the Channel, add the WEP key 0x before the hex numbers, transmit rate, ssid and Mode.

I am using Mac filtering and WEP encryption as I type this response

solidsnake
8th April 2005, 01:44 AM
That is good to know!

One more question: It seems that it takes my computer about 2-5 minutes to establish a conneciton after being idle.

Example: I launch Firefox, it states that is it "looking up <website>" for a few minutes, then it works fine from then on. Is there a service that I should be running to stop that?

Predator
8th April 2005, 07:07 AM
Ok i have walked through this whole thing and i get a message saying link not present when i try to activate the wlan0.
I started by following another tutorial on this and every thing was going fine until i got to a step where i ran: insmod ndiswrapper. this command said ndiswrapper was not the propper format. i dont see this step in your tutorial. I also have no idea why the insmod failed as everything had been working up untill then.
When i type:ndiswrapper -l it tells me that bcmwl5 is present and hardware is present. i then run dmesg and that means nothing to me. then i type ndiswrapper -m and it works fine. i have checked the .conf file and the alias is there. Also ndiswrapper wlan0 shows up in the GUI. Its just that when i try to activate it i get a message saying connection not present. "Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed; no link present. Check cable?"
Please help me im going nuts
thanks

Darkmage
8th April 2005, 07:32 AM
What kernel are you using and do you have an encryption setting -WEP.

Also post the output of
vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

and please remove any sensitive information you don't want the whole world to know about :D

Predator
10th April 2005, 10:09 AM
Here is the out put.
# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=wlan0
HWADDR=00:90:4b:a8:bf:02
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
DOMAIN=
ESSID=
CHANNEL=1
MODE=Auto
RATE=54Mb/s

I am running fedora core 3 2.6.10-1.770.
Thanks for any input.
Isnt my WiFi light suposed to come on when it has been initialized? Beause my lite never comes on. So it would not be an issue with encryption right i mena the driver would have to be working well enough to turn on the hardware before that could be the issue.
How do i know what is going on in terms of the driver communicating with my hardware?

Darkmage
10th April 2005, 03:06 PM
@Predator
ifcfg-wlan0 look okay, the only thing I can think of, is a driver problem. Maybe you have the wrong driver or a corrupted driver.
Try removing /etc/ndiswrapper as root
then go to the ndiswrapper folder and
ndiswrapper -i <location of you .inf driver for device>

About the light coming on, mine never came on, and it still worked, I have no idea why.

FirstDivision
11th April 2005, 12:37 AM
Hi,

I didn't see anywhere in your howto about linking to the linux source files. I know the ndiswrapper instructions mention that you need to create a link to the kernal sources at /lib/modules/VERSION/build (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Installation).

I tried creating this link following the instructions on the previous link but it didn't seem to work, or it didn't need to be created. The output I get is:

[root@localhost linux-2.6.11-1.1233_FC4]# ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.11-1.1233_FC4 /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1233_FC4/build
ln: `/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1233_FC4/build': File exists

Now, when I try to do the #make install, I get the following error, which seems to indicate that the above link isn't there:

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.1]# make install
make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/ndiswrapper-1.1/driver'
Can't find kernel sources in /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1233_FC4/build;
give the path to kernel sources with KSRC=<path> argument to make
make[1]: *** [prereq_check] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/ndiswrapper-1.1/driver'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Another instruction in the ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net instructions is to "make sure you have started compiling the kernel sources, so needed header files are present. I definitely haven't done this, because I don't know how. But I don't know if it should really have to be done (mainly because you didn't seem to need to).

So anyway, that's where I stand. I've tried to provide as much info as possible.

:)

FD

Darkmage
11th April 2005, 09:06 PM
@FirstDivision
I just realised you are using the development kernel, then you will need the kernel-devel package installed but, you will not need to make a link.
Remove the link, install the kernel-devel package and do a make install in ndiswrapper. :D

FirstDivision
12th April 2005, 01:42 AM
Ahhh, thanks Darkmage. That sounds very promising. I'll give it a shot.

FirstDivision
17th April 2005, 05:05 AM
I finally got it working!

First what I did was download FC3 because I didn't think I needed to be running the Test release since I'm such a noob.

I ran through the install but kept running into a "link not present, check cable." I figured it was something wrong with the ndiswrapper driver. NOPE!

Apparently I had hit the Fn+F2 key that disabled the cards radi;o. Of course I didn't know that because there's no visual icon to see that (gotta be able to see it somewhere huh?)

Anyway, I booted back into Windows to make sure that the card could still connect to the AP (I was changing settings on that too), that's when I noticed what had happened. Boy, I wish I had done that 4 hours ago, lol.

Thanks for the guide and tips. It feels good to be wireless again. Woo hoo!

-FD

sfc_bugger
19th April 2005, 04:55 PM
OK, WEP works fine, but, what about WPA?? Why bother getting WEP to work when your neighbor can break your key with commodity software (Kesmit, AirSnort, etc..) and a decent box. I got my wireless card working no problem, does anyone have a nice how-to for the set-up of the WPA supplicant package?

sfc_bugger
19th April 2005, 05:00 PM
By the way, excellent work up by DarkImage, I am normally a Slackware user, thought I would try Fedora. I was about to dump the whole test based on the wireless bit, after trying to find resources on how to install ndiswrappers on the dang Core 3 install; but, I guess I'll have to relook it thanks to the excellent posts found on this site!!

Update: Found a great WPA supplicant how-to. Great!! :)

5t3v3
20th April 2005, 04:52 PM
#make install

- Works fine...

#ndiswrapper -i <your home directory>/airplus/airplus.inf

No problem...

# ndiswrapper -l

Airplus Driver present, hardware present.

#modprobe ndiswrapper

When I try to modprobe the ndiswrapper, I get:
"FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found."

# dmesg

Nothing about ndiswrapper being loaded, or airplus for that matter

# ndiswrapper -m

Yes, this created an alias to ndiswrapper.

The ndiswrapper installs fine under the FC3 GUI, but when I try to active the card, I get:

"ndiswrapper device wlan0 does not seem to ve present, delaying inistialization."

Can anyone help me out?

Darkmage
25th April 2005, 05:38 PM
#make install

- Works fine...

#ndiswrapper -i <your home directory>/airplus/airplus.inf

No problem...

# ndiswrapper -l

Airplus Driver present, hardware present.

#modprobe ndiswrapper

When I try to modprobe the ndiswrapper, I get:
"FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found."

# dmesg

Nothing about ndiswrapper being loaded, or airplus for that matter

# ndiswrapper -m

Yes, this created an alias to ndiswrapper.

The ndiswrapper installs fine under the FC3 GUI, but when I try to active the card, I get:

"ndiswrapper device wlan0 does not seem to ve present, delaying inistialization."

Can anyone help me out?

what kernel version are you using

gally
29th April 2005, 02:27 PM
Hi Darkmage,

I get an error when i do the #make install. It tells me that the gcc.sh (i forget the exact name, since I'm not at home right now) can't run lines 11 and 12. I just ran a fresh install of the newest stable fedora yesterday. Is there an extra package I need to install that this gcc.sh script needs installed to run properly? Thanks for any advice!! This post has been really helpful otherwise!

~gally

FirstDivision
29th April 2005, 11:04 PM
gcc.sh (i forget the exact name, since I'm not at home right now) can't run lines 11 and 12

This sounds like a problem I had whenI was trying to install snort. It turned out that I didn't have the c++ compiler installed. i think I ended up searching and then installing it through yum with something like:

yum search gcc

or

yum search c++

to find the corect package.

However, I think I also could have gone to the "Add Remove Programs" and installed the Dev Tools or something like that. I can't remember, it was a while ago, I'm a noob, and I'm not at my linux box right now, lol....I won't mention what OS I happen to be using right now. :eek:

-FD

gally
30th April 2005, 03:05 AM
Thanks FirstDivision. I'm also a noob. But trying to convert from windows. Anyhow so I got gcc compiler installed. and I went through the instructions above. I see the connection in the network properties. But when I try to connect I get:

"ndiswrapper device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization"

Anyone got any advice?

gally
30th April 2005, 03:27 AM
ah, I am happy to say I am posting from fedora. I rebooted and it came up :)

Darkmage
30th April 2005, 06:30 PM
ah, I am happy to say I am posting from fedora. I rebooted and it came up :)

I am glad you got it to work :D

oldman_420
11th May 2005, 04:16 PM
rawr! I'm not ... ndiswrapper is installed ... i've remade it twice. dmesg shows its loaded, ndiswrapper -l shows driver installed. iwlist wlan0 scan shows my AP,

iwconfig shows the connection is running (essid shows and UP-BROADCAST-RUNNING-MULTICAST shows), ifconfig shows data is being TRANSMITTED oddly enough - rx/tx numbers keep going up although Link encap:Ethernet is odd since this isnt ethernet but that might have something to do with ndiswrapper.

iwconfig shows no activity in tx/rx ... ifconfig shows eth0 is up-broadcast-multicast too although i have no ethernet connection. ... WEP doesnt work, i've used both bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5a.inf. I had it connected ONCE for about 5 hours, then it went down... the AP works as others are connected to it using windows (open, no encryption) ...

i modprobe ndiswrapper ... ndiswrapper -m gives me "alias exists in modprobe conf already" ... ifup wlan0 -> failed failed failed

i'm using 2.6.9-1.667.stk16 ... ndiswrapper 1.1

one thing i noticed, in dmesg says ndiswrapper is active on irq10 .. ifconfig shows eth0 using irq10... i have ethernet card but its not connected!

hrm dhclient gives "recieve_packet failed on wlan0: Network is down" ... maybe this is network problem after all??

somberi
26th May 2005, 03:23 AM
DarkMagic,
Thanks for your walkthrough for using ndiswrapper in fedora. I followed all your steps and when i tried to activate the wireless from the Network Manager, I get an error message saying:
"Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid argument."

Where am i going wrong. Should the wep key be in hex?

Thanks,
Ram

somberi
26th May 2005, 03:27 AM
Sorry...Darkmage!

Darkmage
29th May 2005, 04:58 PM
The wep key should be in hex and has to start with 0x and then the hex key.

somberi
6th June 2005, 10:58 PM
Darkmage,
I changed the wep key to hex and even manually entered the IP info, DNS info etc. It still gave me the same error:
Check cable

A few days later, I was playing with Kwifimanager, when it detected the available wireless networks around me but it did not allow me to connect to any one of them. When i go to network manager and try and activate the wireless connection, it still gives me the same error as above.

I would appreciate ANY help...I'm very close to pulling my hair out!

Darkmage
7th June 2005, 07:11 PM
Darkmage,
I changed the wep key to hex and even manually entered the IP info, DNS info etc. It still gave me the same error:
Check cable

A few days later, I was playing with Kwifimanager, when it detected the available wireless networks around me but it did not allow me to connect to any one of them. When i go to network manager and try and activate the wireless connection, it still gives me the same error as above.

I would appreciate ANY help...I'm very close to pulling my hair out!

How about doing the install all over. Remove the folder /etc/ndiswrapper and I assume you still have a fresh *.inf and *.sys files for your wireless nic card.. Let see if you still have the error with a fresh install. :)

oldman_420
7th June 2005, 08:31 PM
in the event I cant connect, sometimes I find that if I modprobe ndiswrapper which, I presume resets the configuration (at least thats what I see) and then try setting all the paramaters again with iwconfig, it will connect. sometimes I modprobe -r ndiswrapper and then add it again works too.

somberi
9th June 2005, 10:44 PM
DarkMage,
I posted that message after trying 3 different drivers from 3 different sources, including the driver on my windows cd, the driver from the ndiswrapper site AND a driver from broadcom's website!

Darkmage
10th June 2005, 04:31 AM
DarkMage,
I posted that message after trying 3 different drivers from 3 different sources, including the driver on my windows cd, the driver from the ndiswrapper site AND a driver from broadcom's website!

I will suggest trying ndiswrapper without the wep encryption, just to see if it works. Which means your wireless router will have the wep encryption disabled

Darkmage
17th June 2005, 08:57 PM
Update on ndiswrapper

Works fine with FC4 and cvs ndiswrapper and wep encryption

somberi
21st June 2005, 04:59 AM
it must be either murphy's law or really bad karma!!
i updated to FC4 and used the driver from the ndsiwrapper website (broadcom driver for amd64). i've got it to a point where i had to manually enter the IP address etc.. and have got Network Configuration to 'activate' wlan0 and show that its status is 'active', but when i open Kwifimanager and click on 'Scan for networks', it gives me an error saying that no networks have been found! when i disable eth1 and try using the wireless alone, it doesnt seem to work.
very frustrating. any suggestions?
have tried the modprobe -r ndiswrapper multiple times
even tried copying my windows drivers (on the windows partition) and using those...no luck =(

somberi
21st June 2005, 06:02 AM
hmm...
ndiswrapper (iw_set_bitrate:480): setting bit rate failed (C00000BB)
ndiswrapper (add_wep_key:711): adding encryption key 1 failed (C0010015)
wlan0: no IPv6 routers present

what could this mean? i found it looking through dmesg

Gallan
21st June 2005, 05:44 PM
this has been very helpfull but know I have this situation:

I installed kernel source 2.6.11-1.27 and then 2.6.11-1.27_FC3.stk16 but then ndiswrapper installs fine I get right drivers but when I so modprobe ndiswrapper it gives:

[root@100 driver]# modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.27_FC3.stk16/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid module format

and dmesg gives:

ndiswrapper: version magic '2.6.11-1.27_FC3 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.11-1.27_FC3.stk16 686 REGPARM 16KSTACKS gcc-3.4'

so something is not done but I have read manymany pages and topics but I'm stuck and my skills are used so help me please!!! :(

somberi
21st June 2005, 05:56 PM
Gallan,
based on the error message from ndiswrapper, you probably need the 16k stacks instead of the 4k stacks. check out http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Fedora for more info

hope it works!

somberi
21st June 2005, 05:58 PM
anyone have broadcom drivers for linux, or know where to find them besides the nsidwrapper site or linuxant. i've tried drivers from both and they dont seem to work!

Darkmage
21st June 2005, 06:38 PM
anyone have broadcom drivers for linux, or know where to find them besides the nsidwrapper site or linuxant. i've tried drivers from both and they dont seem to work!

I have included my broadcom drivers on the 1st page of the right up. Hope this helps and I have no idea how to solve your problem.

somberi
21st June 2005, 06:49 PM
thanks darkmage,
will try this as soon as i get home today and post results!
anyone viewing this post today, cross your fingers and pray for me!!

Gallan
21st June 2005, 07:22 PM
hello Somberi

and that is the point...I'm using 2.6.11-1.27.stk16 when I chose 2.6.11-1.27 kernel in GRUB I can't even install ndiswrapper!! so there is something in kernel but what? someway it is stk16 kernel because installation is going just fine...????

stormvice
22nd June 2005, 07:56 PM
hi there,
Im trying to install a D-Link DWL-G510 card on FC4. Everything looks run fine. modprobe ndiswrapper dont give me any error message...I can add wlan0 device on Network config and setup the ip configuration...but when I try to activate wlan0, everything freezes.
Whats wrong? It is this 4 stacks problem? :confused:
i hope not...cause in ndiswrapper site there is no link to 16stacks FC4 kernel :( :(

Darkmage
23rd June 2005, 01:35 AM
hi there,
Im trying to install a D-Link DWL-G510 card on FC4. Everything looks run fine. modprobe ndiswrapper dont give me any error message...I can add wlan0 device on Network config and setup the ip configuration...but when I try to activate wlan0, everything freezes.
Whats wrong? It is this 4 stacks problem? :confused:
i hope not...cause in ndiswrapper site there is no link to 16stacks FC4 kernel :( :(

What kernel and Fedora are you using?
When you did a modprobe ndiswrapper what is the output of dmesg . I just need the final part of dmesg.
When you are in Network Config do you see ndiswrapper(wlan0) or something else

stormvice
23rd June 2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the reply Darkmage, but ive installed FC3 again...and now im sure i was really doing everything right.
The problems was the 4 stack kernel on FC4. I have the same problem with FC3, but at least i have the STK16 kernel for it. STK16 installed=Im happy to say i am on Internet trough my wireless card now. :)
i just have one more doubt: what do i need to load ndiswrapper module on boot?

Darkmage
23rd June 2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the reply Darkmage, but ive installed FC3 again...and now im sure i was really doing everything right.
The problems was the 4 stack kernel on FC4. I have the same problem with FC3, but at least i have the STK16 kernel for it. STK16 installed=Im happy to say i am on Internet trough my wireless card now. :)
i just have one more doubt: what do i need to load ndiswrapper module on boot?

I am using the stock kernel for FC4 and I have not problems getting online.
To load ndiswrapper on boot, open Network Configuration, highlight wlan and click on "Edit". Put a check mark on "Activate device when computer starts"

stormvice
23rd June 2005, 08:35 PM
This problem with the STK4 original kernel happens only with certain wireless card drivers. Its explained on the FAQ of ndiswrapper website.
DWL-G510 is one...everything runs ok...but when you try to activate... BAM!! freezes everything.

I installed the STK16, did the same config and now its working very well :)

Ill wait for a STK16 FC4 kernel...till that, "welcome back FC3" :p

thesource
24th June 2005, 01:30 AM
is it true that it will only work for this kernel

This will only work for kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
# yum --enablerepo=livna-stable install ndiswrapper kernel-module-ndiswrapper

???? or can I update a new kernel and still user ndiswrapper? :confused:

somberi
24th June 2005, 03:03 AM
darkmage,
does Kwifimanager in fc4 have the ability to select different networks? I can now see a list of available networks when i open kwifimanager and click on 'scan networks', i can also see the same when i type: iwlist wlan0 ap.
another question, is it possible to manually assign access points?

Darkmage
7th July 2005, 09:37 PM
is it true that it will only work for this kernel

This will only work for kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
# yum --enablerepo=livna-stable install ndiswrapper kernel-module-ndiswrapper

???? or can I update a new kernel and still user ndiswrapper? :confused:

This will only work for the above kernel. If you update your kernel, you can wait for livna to provide a ndiswrapper kernel module or you can do a "make install" from a ndiswrapper source file.
The other choice is to make your own rpm :cool:

Darkmage
7th July 2005, 10:02 PM
darkmage,
does Kwifimanager in fc4 have the ability to select different networks? I can now see a list of available networks when i open kwifimanager and click on 'scan networks', i can also see the same when i type: iwlist wlan0 ap.
another question, is it possible to manually assign access points?
I haven't used Kwifimanager in FC4 but, I am about to try Wireless assistant from www.kde-apps.org and I will let you know if it works.

zenora
10th July 2005, 01:24 AM
I am having some serious trouble with ndiswrapper and modprobe on Fedora Core4. I installed ndiswrapper1.2 using yum-extend.

# ndiswrapper -l
bash: ndiswrapper: command not found

Figured that one...
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
mn720-ankh driver present, hardware present

Then it was...
# modprobe ndiswrapper
bash: modprobe: command not found
# /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

Somewhere it said it is looking for the .ko file. That's in
/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/misc/ndiswrapper.ko

Oh wait... I am using Kernel 2.6.12.1390_FC4. Is that why?

But, this went through fine.
Installed ndis drivers:

Does anyone know what's going on with "modprobe ndsiwrapper" command?

From Desktop>>System Setting>>Network menus I have the Network Configuration window [screen!] and I have in Tab:Hardware wlan0 with status configured. I did try to setup from there but there's more errors.

1. I guess I need to get "modprobe ndiswrapper" working. Could anyone please tell me what to do?
2. Is it a kernel issue?

zenora
10th July 2005, 03:02 AM
Yep, mismatch between the kernel version and ndiswrapper version. Make sure they are the same version.

# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i /<location>/<windows-driver-file>.inf
Installing <windows-driver>
Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
Installed ndis drivers:
<windows-driver> driver present, hardware present
# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -m
Adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.conf
# /sbin/iwconfig

Then GoTo Desktop>>SystemsSetting>>Network>> and do as the 1st message on this thread says... it took me almost almost a month to get my Microsoft MN-730 Wireless working.

The whole darn thing can be simplified with a simple GUI. I hope someone makes one. As I've seen in many [many!] postings, Linux is weak on installation process, and especially of wireless.

sabergo
10th July 2005, 03:44 AM
I've gotten my Motorola card (bcmwl5) to work using the HOWTO at the beginning of the post. All went as it should until I went to activate the card -- had to try maybe 20-30 times before it activated. Worked fine for awhile but stopped on re-boot and refused to activate again. Went through uninstall-reinstall routine multiple times, but No Go. Kwifimanager and the network connection monitor both showed a perfect signal, with Kwifi reporting the Router by name. Every check in the last 5 pages of postings worked.

My 5 year old (getting frustrated with papa in front of the computer for so long) said: "the computer isn't broke, something else is." Ah ha -- the Router. Made two changes -- channel and something on the same page as the firewall settings (i'll check if someone wants), rebooted into Linux, and it works -- even though the channel in the FC network device control is different (9 vs 6) -- and has continued to work. Download rates are double that of windows for the same file on the same site! Thats weird.

Good luck all.

steve

zenora
10th July 2005, 09:03 PM
If you updated the kernel, ndiswrapper might expect the driver in the latest kernel area and the original ndiswrapper installation is pointing to older kernel area. That would be a point of failure to check. I remember driverloader [similar to ndiswrapper] recompiling from source at reboot everytime there was a FC4 kernel in the last month or so.

P235
10th July 2005, 10:15 PM
Hi, I've tried the steps to the first post here but I'm having problems when I try modprobe ndiswrapper. If I try that command I get "bash: modprobe: command not found"

If I try "/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper" I get "FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found."

I'm a newb using FC4. I've installed ndiswrapper via yum from the repository posted above as well.

Thanks

Darkmage
11th July 2005, 04:45 PM
Hi, I've tried the steps to the first post here but I'm having problems when I try modprobe ndiswrapper. If I try that command I get "bash: modprobe: command not found"

If I try "/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper" I get "FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found."

I'm a newb using FC4. I've installed ndiswrapper via yum from the repository posted above as well.

Thanks

What is the output of this command from a terminal
rpm -qa |grep kernel |sort

P235
11th July 2005, 11:50 PM
What is the output of this command from a terminal

The output is

kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kernel-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4
kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4-1.2-0.lvn.3.4

Darkmage
12th July 2005, 12:17 AM
The output is

kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kernel-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4
kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4-1.2-0.lvn.3.4

What is the output of /bin/uname -r

Finalzone
12th July 2005, 12:21 AM
uname -r display the current kernel you use on your system

Example

$ uname -r
2.6.12-1.1390_FC4

P235
12th July 2005, 01:50 AM
What is the output of /bin/uname -r

It is:

2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

Darkmage
12th July 2005, 02:33 AM
It is:

2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

You are booting into linux with the wrong kernel for ndiswrapper. Try booting into kernel-2.6.12-1.1390_FC4.
Then it will be possible to run /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper.

P235
12th July 2005, 05:39 AM
Thanks Darkmage, you're very helpful. I'm posting this via my wireless card now. So where do I go if I want to be as wise about linux as you and a whole bunch of others seem to be?

Is there a way to make .6.12-1.1390_FC4 default on reboot?

Darkmage
12th July 2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks Darkmage, you're very helpful. I'm posting this via my wireless card now. So where do I go if I want to be as wise about linux as you and a whole bunch of others seem to be?

Is there a way to make .6.12-1.1390_FC4 default on reboot?

open a terminal and used an editor -vi, emac, gedit, kate, kwrite to edit this file as root
The example I am going to give is using gedit
su -c "gedit /etc/grub.conf"
Then type in the root password

change default=1 to default=0. Save and exit. Reboot and it should boot the first kernel in your /etc/grub.conf

For more linux knowledge, I prefer a rieference book like these Fedora Books (http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/Fedora_Core_4_Books)
I like Red Hat Fedora 4 Unleashed :D

Confuse
13th July 2005, 02:55 AM
I have tried using the instructions from this howto and they have worked well in installing and loading the bcmwl5.inf driver. The problem is that the redhat network gui can't configure the card for some reason. I have to do everything manually in order to get it to work properly. By manually I mean I have to use iwconfig and friends and setup my network like that. NetworkManager tries to send a dhcp package to my router connection but it times out. Is this inability of the GUI network config something thats happened to someone else?

Error I get in GUI: Determining IP information for wlan0...failed; no link present. Check cables?

Gallan
13th July 2005, 05:58 AM
I installed new kernel and ndiswrapper/wlan disappearred. I have used tar.gz file with 2.6.11 kernel and here is tiny howto what I have done and everything is working

kernel 2.6.11

untar ndiswrapper
go to ndiswrapper-1.2/lib
make
make install
ndiswrapper -i "driver path"
ndiswrapper -l (lists driver info)
ndiswrapper -m (adds alias line to modprobe.conf)
modprobe ndiswrapper (if not hanging boot machine)

when kernel changed I just done make and make install again and I can use wlan OK!

Gallan
13th July 2005, 06:02 AM
hello Confuse

I had that same porblem some time ago with FC3 and reason was ssid name and encryption. I didn't have to make any configuration when I installed FC4 just check channel, ssid (make it auto first), don't use encryption right away.

lordbeholder
14th July 2005, 01:38 AM
running FC4 kernel 2.6.11, installed ndiswrapper from the 1.2 +CVS update, but when i boot up, it gets to the screen where it loads different services and processes and if i click details, it brings up the loopback then gets to the wlan0 and gives an error "unrecognised wireless function: "Mb/s" and the system freezes, any ideas how i might be able to fix this or atleast get my system to boot up so i can have a mess with it. any help would be grately appreciated.

Darkmage
15th July 2005, 10:23 PM
running FC4 kernel 2.6.11, installed ndiswrapper from the 1.2 +CVS update, but when i boot up, it gets to the screen where it loads different services and processes and if i click details, it brings up the loopback then gets to the wlan0 and gives an error "unrecognised wireless function: "Mb/s" and the system freezes, any ideas how i might be able to fix this or atleast get my system to boot up so i can have a mess with it. any help would be grately appreciated.

If you have Fedora Core Disk 1, you can boot your system in rescue mode and mount your linux partition with chroot /mnt/sysimage
Edit this file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 and change ONBOOT=yes to ONBOOT=no.
save the file, exit and restart your system without Fedora Core Disk 1.

lordbeholder
15th July 2005, 11:25 PM
Excellent, I tried that, switched it off and booted up, uninstalled ndiswrapper version 1.2 and installed 1.1 and that seems to be working atm .... i do howeever get an error on boot still it is : bringing up interface wlan0: Error: unrecognised wireless request "Mb/s". however the error doesnt freeze up the system like it did with ndiswrapper version 1.2, i'm connected through it now and it seems to be working ok so unless it's a simple fix, it can stay as it is. Thanks.

Darkmage
16th July 2005, 06:38 AM
Excellent, I tried that, switched it off and booted up, uninstalled ndiswrapper version 1.2 and installed 1.1 and that seems to be working atm .... i do howeever get an error on boot still it is : bringing up interface wlan0: Error: unrecognised wireless request "Mb/s". however the error doesnt freeze up the system like it did with ndiswrapper version 1.2, i'm connected through it now and it seems to be working ok so unless it's a simple fix, it can stay as it is. Thanks.

I get the same message and I just ignore it. I am glad that worked :D

lordbeholder
16th July 2005, 06:41 AM
Thank you for the help - Over an' out!

P235
18th July 2005, 04:36 AM
Hey again, I installed the new kernel for the random freezes but now when I try to ifup the wireless card - or if it tries to start automatically from reboot - it says

"ndiswrapper device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization."

I input /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l and it says the driver and the hardware is present, I'm not sure what I'm missing :(

P235
18th July 2005, 04:40 AM
So instead of the 2.6.12-1.1390 kernel I believe I'm trying to use the 1398 one.

Darkmage
18th July 2005, 05:58 AM
So instead of the 2.6.12-1.1390 kernel I believe I'm trying to use the 1398 one.
For every kernel upgrade, you will need the corresponding ndiswarpper-kernel-module.

So, after booting into the new kernel, head over to livna and try to see if they have the kernel-module as stated on the first page or do a "make install" in the ndiswrapper folder. Then as root /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper

Then you can binrg up your wireless connection. :)

P235
18th July 2005, 06:47 AM
Ah, I see! Thanks a lot Dark, still cool and making newbies drool. :D

altht
21st July 2005, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the how-to!! It worked awesome once I found a driver download that cabextract could open, and had the right driver.

-alan

panama
23rd July 2005, 11:07 PM

I am having the same issue. I am running kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 and and I also installed ndiswrapper from the 1.2 +CVS as well. When I tried to bing up the wireless I get error "unrecognised wireless function: "Mb/s". I tried using ndiswrapper-1.0 and ndiswrapper-1.1 still no luck. It worked fine in FC3 but I cannot seem to get it work. If anyone have suggestiong please let me know.

panama
26th July 2005, 01:35 PM
I am having the same issue. I am running kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 and and I also installed ndiswrapper from the 1.2 +CVS as well. When I tried to bing up the wireless I get error "unrecognised wireless function: "Mb/s". I tried using ndiswrapper-1.0 and ndiswrapper-1.1 still no luck. It worked fine in FC3 but I cannot seem to get it work. If anyone have suggestiong please let me know.

altht
26th July 2005, 03:05 PM
I also recieved that error, but then I had forgotten that I disabled the wireless function on my router during the period that I didn't have the wireless card working.

dododoustc
26th July 2005, 11:49 PM
I installed ndiswrapper1.2 and 64-bit broadcomm driver but could not get it to work.

Environment:
* Presario R3000 notebook with AMD athlon 64
* Fedora Core 4 (64bit)
* Kernal 2.6.11-1.1369

What I have done:
* compiled and installed ndiswrapper 1.2 (Also tried ndiswrapper 1.1 but got no luck)
* load netbc564.inf (ndiswrapper -i netbc564.inf)
* modprobe ndiswrapper
* ndiswrapper -m
* Added device wlan0 in network configuration tool
when i tried to bring up the interface, it say
"Error : unrecognised wireless request "Mb/s"
Determining IP information for wlan0... failed; no link present. Check cable?"

Attached are some screen dumps you may want to look:
--------- to confirm windows driver is loaded by ndiswrapper
#ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
netbc564 driver present, hardware present

------dump from iwconfig
#iwconfig wlan0
Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 18 of Wireless Extension,
but has been compiled with version 17, therefore some driver features
may not be available...

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
Mode:Auto Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-10 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:1322 Missed beacon:0

**** note the number after "Invalid misc" keeps increasing

---------dump from dmesg
#dmesg
ndiswrapper: device wlan0 removed
ndiswrapper version 1.2 loaded (preempt=no,smp=no)
ndiswrapper: driver netbc564 (,10/01/2002,3.70.17.5) loaded
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:02.0[A] -> Link [LNK3] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 225
ndiswrapper: using irq 225
wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:90:4b:5d:ca:b7 using driver netbc564, configuration file 14E4:4320:103C:12F4.5.conf
ndiswrapper (iw_set_bitrate:480): setting bit rate failed (C00000BB)

Any help will be highly appreciated!

dododoustc
27th July 2005, 02:40 AM
update:
Now the wireless works. The problem seems due to the setup on the router: router was set to WPA (I thought I have reset it to no-security)

Turn the security off on the router, and the interface wlan0 could be brought up successfully.
WPA-PSK also works now. (installed wpa_supplicant)

ELYK6002
27th July 2005, 02:44 AM
I'm really sorry if this has already been discussed. Upon activation in my Network Configuration GUI, I get the Link not present. Check cable? error. I tried the solution to the first persons similar failure. Just curious if anyone had another idea as my problem persists. Any help would be great.

imdeemvp
29th July 2005, 11:06 AM
update:
Now the wireless works. The problem seems due to the setup on the router: router was set to WPA (I thought I have reset it to no-security)

Turn the security off on the router, and the interface wlan0 could be brought up successfully.
WPA-PSK also works now. (installed wpa_supplicant)
I have same laptop but no integrated wi-fi and sad for me the pmcia is not linux compatible for what I heard and no card will work. I no idea why...... :(

So I will wait for a usb wi-fi device I ordered to see if that will work.....

melon
1st August 2005, 05:39 AM
This helped me, was very easy just using yum to install ndiswrapper off of livna, and then doing the post-configuration commands you listed.

taboy
1st August 2005, 03:08 PM
your problem is not due to the kernel

you must be root if you want to process modprobe
if you are not root you must use /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper if you are root type only ndiswrapper

taboy
1st August 2005, 03:13 PM
I am having some serious trouble with ndiswrapper and modprobe on Fedora Core4. I installed ndiswrapper1.2 using yum-extend.

# ndiswrapper -l

Figured that one...
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:

Then it was...
# modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

Somewhere it said it is looking for the .ko file. That's in
/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/misc/ndiswrapper.ko

Oh wait... I am using Kernel 2.6.12.1390_FC4. Is that why?

But, this went through fine.
Installed ndis drivers:

Does anyone know what's going on with "modprobe ndsiwrapper" command?

From Desktop>>System Setting>>Network menus I have the Network Configuration window [screen!] and I have in Tab:Hardware wlan0 with status configured. I did try to setup from there but there's more errors.

1. I guess I need to get "modprobe ndiswrapper" working. Could anyone please tell me what to do?
2. Is it a kernel issue?
your problem is not due to the kernel

you must be root if you want to process modprobe
if you are not root you must use /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper if you are root type only ndiswrapper

emanresu
5th August 2005, 10:38 AM
Darkmage, thank you for your wonderful instructions. After spending 2 or 3 days (I lost count) trying to get a Belkin F5D7000 to work with FC4 I came across your post. It worked beautifully. Thanks again!

imdeemvp
5th August 2005, 11:36 AM
Well it does work but my keyboard behaves very weird....if I type something it will rety the same letter about 10-15 times. Example: ttttthhhhhhhhhhhiissssssssssssss I DONT KNOW WHY!

I am using the netwear m111v1 usb wifi device the is listed in ndiswrapper..

bodiby
6th August 2005, 12:21 AM
I have a fresh install of FC4. I installed the development tools and installed the kernel source files as per Redhat (http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/relea...rata/#sn-kernel).

The ndiswrapper prereqs say make sure the link is present in modules directory. There was I link, but it was bad, so I deleted it. The directory in the ndiswrapper instructions didn't match, so i guessed where it was looking.ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.11/linux-2.6.11 /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/buildNow, when I attempt to make, I get

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]# make
make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mike/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver'
Can't find kernel sources in /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/build;
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mike/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver'

I know someone else had this issue, but he was using an earlier FC4 kernel. His solution was to downgrade to FC3.

knavely
6th August 2005, 07:38 PM
Hi I have an HP ze2000z with amd 64
this has a broadcom wireless card which apparantly works quite well with the 32 bit bcmwl5 drivers.

using ndiswrapper 1.2
when i do ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf i get device present, drivers present
but then modprob ndiswrapper gives me tons of errors because its the 32 bit driver..

So i tried using the netbc564 drivers, but when i do ndiswrapper -i netbc564.inf
I only get driver present...not hardware present.

any ideas??

thanks for your time

emanresu
7th August 2005, 01:08 AM
knavely, have you tried going to the manufacturer's website to look for newer drivers?

Hi I have an HP ze2000z with amd 64 this has a broadcom wireless card which apparantly works quite well with the 32 bit bcmwl5 drivers.

using ndiswrapper 1.2 when i do ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf i get device present, drivers present but then modprob ndiswrapper gives me tons of errors because its the 32 bit driver..

So i tried using the netbc564 drivers, but when i do ndiswrapper -i netbc564.inf I only get driver present...not hardware present.

any ideas??

knavely
7th August 2005, 01:39 AM
yes I went to the broadcom webset. But they were the same drivers as the
ones I mentioned. the netbc564...

karab
11th August 2005, 06:48 PM
hi

i installed my wifi card but i am getting this message at dmesg
[root@localhost ck]# dmesg |grep wlan
wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:11:d8:62:28:06 using driver mrv8knt, configuration file 11AB:1FA7.5.conf
ndiswrapper (wrapper_worker_proc:1095): wlan0 is being reset

what does it mean??
thx

bodiby
12th August 2005, 07:55 PM
hello there

Darkmage
16th August 2005, 08:43 AM
I have a fresh install of FC4. I installed the development tools and installed the kernel source files as per Redhat (http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/relea...rata/#sn-kernel).

The ndiswrapper prereqs say make sure the link is present in modules directory. There was I link, but it was bad, so I deleted it. The directory in the ndiswrapper instructions didn't match, so i guessed where it was looking.ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.11/linux-2.6.11 /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/buildNow, when I attempt to make, I get

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.2]# make
make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mike/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver'
Can't find kernel sources in /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/build;
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mike/ndiswrapper-1.2/driver'

I know someone else had this issue, but he was using an earlier FC4 kernel. His solution was to downgrade to FC3.

The goal of this HOW-TO, was to provide an alternative/easy way of installing ndiswrapper, please do not follow the ndiswrapper instruction to the letter, some of their instructions does not apply to FC4.
The easiest way to solve your problem is to delete the symlink and use the livna repository.

Darkmage
16th August 2005, 08:47 AM
this has a broadcom wireless card which apparantly works quite well with the 32 bit bcmwl5 drivers.

using ndiswrapper 1.2
but then modprob ndiswrapper gives me tons of errors because its the 32 bit driver..

So i tried using the netbc564 drivers, but when i do ndiswrapper -i netbc564.inf

any ideas??

thanks for your time

Can you post the errors for the 32bit driver for broadcom

Darkmage
16th August 2005, 08:56 AM
hi

i installed my wifi card but i am getting this message at dmesg
[root@localhost ck]# dmesg |grep wlan
wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:11:d8:62:28:06 using driver mrv8knt, configuration file 11AB:1FA7.5.conf

what does it mean??
thx

I have no idea, I have never encountered that error message before. I will suggest you delete the folder /etc/ndiswrapper/mrv8knt and start from the process from
ndiswrapper -i xxxxxxxx.inf

Darkmage
16th August 2005, 09:04 AM
I can get the wi-fi to fire up manually using:
modprobe ndiswrapper
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 mode <mode type>
iwconfig wlan0 essid <essid name>

I installed the automation RPM and put those lines into the ndiswrapper file but it fails. Not sure where to start to fix it.

Please re-read the HOW-TO and follow the instructions.
when you execute "modprobe ndiswrapper" from a terminal what is the output of
dmesg |grep ndiswrapper

knavely
17th August 2005, 12:40 AM
Darkmage-
cant get on the internet with my laptop for a few days but
when i look at dmesg
there are a bunch of APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
then it says
ndiswrapper version 1.2 loaded
ndiswrapper(check_nt_hdr:152):windows driver is not 64-bit; bad magic:010B

and then at the end it says
loadndiswrapper failed

somberi
17th August 2005, 04:31 AM
knavely,
make sure that your driver is a 64bit driver. download the driver from:
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/drivers.php

if this is the one you used. reboot your system and then check out dmesg.
i had the same problem yesterday, but when i restarted, ndiswrapper was able to load correctly. Sadly, I still havent been able to connect to the internet using wireless. i cant connect to a specific essid. goog luck!

MoveZig
18th August 2005, 03:15 AM
usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2
usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper_load_driver:93): loadndiswrapper failed (59904); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 4
usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper_load_driver:93): loadndiswrapper failed (59904); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'

i get this when i do dmesg
have a netgear wg111 (version 1) using inf file from cd
any suggestions?

knavely
18th August 2005, 08:29 PM
knavely,
make sure that your driver is a 64bit driver. download the driver from:
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/drivers.php

if this is the one you used. reboot your system and then check out dmesg.
i had the same problem yesterday, but when i restarted, ndiswrapper was able to load correctly. Sadly, I still havent been able to connect to the internet using wireless. i cant connect to a specific essid. goog luck!

Yes iv been trying with that driver.
I just tried the rebooting idea, but again when i try to activate it says that the device was not found. Also when i did ndiswrapper -l it just said driver present, not hardware present.

AhrbokTrexon
21st August 2005, 11:54 AM
hi men, I have a strange problem with ndiswrapper...
here some information:
kernel 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp
ndiswrapper-1.3rc
Network controller: RaLink Ralink RT2500 802.11 Cardbus Reference Card (rev 01)

I've installerd ndiswrapper without problems, the interface is up, and ip address is assigned succesfully
output of iwconfig

may not be available...

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"REDALERT" Nickname:"GANDALF"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:0F:3D:B3:C6:18
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=-120 dBm
RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2346 B
Link Quality:95/100 Signal level:-65 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
Tx excessive retries:3077 Invalid misc:2958 Missed beacon:0
output of ifconfig

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:66:6C:92:76
inet addr:192.168.100.2 Bcast:192.168.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::20f:66ff:fe6c:9276/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:7935 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:8781 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:3085684 (2.9 MiB) TX bytes:1111273 (1.0 MiB)
Memory:eb004000-eb005fff

all seems to be configured, but I've a strange behaviour, because I can access the internet with applications like wget, evolution, konqueror... but I cannot get access with firefox, gaim, lynx and others
firefox is not configured to use any proxy or particular configurations, firefox is 'Directly connected to the internet'

what is the problem? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Darkmage
23rd August 2005, 03:17 AM
hi men, I have a strange problem with ndiswrapper...
here some information:
kernel 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp
ndiswrapper-1.3rc
Network controller: RaLink Ralink RT2500 802.11 Cardbus Reference Card (rev 01)

I've installerd ndiswrapper without problems, the interface is up, and ip address is assigned succesfully
output of iwconfig

may not be available...

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"REDALERT" Nickname:"GANDALF"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:0F:3D:B3:C6:18
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=-120 dBm
Link Quality:95/100 Signal level:-65 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
Tx excessive retries:3077 Invalid misc:2958 Missed beacon:0
output of ifconfig

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:66:6C:92:76
inet addr:192.168.100.2 Bcast:192.168.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::20f:66ff:fe6c:9276/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:7935 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:8781 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:3085684 (2.9 MiB) TX bytes:1111273 (1.0 MiB)
Memory:eb004000-eb005fff

all seems to be configured, but I've a strange behaviour, because I can access the internet with applications like wget, evolution, konqueror... but I cannot get access with firefox, gaim, lynx and others
firefox is not configured to use any proxy or particular configurations, firefox is 'Directly connected to the internet'

what is the problem? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have no idea why firefox, gaim.lynx and other cannot access the internet, I will suggest downgrading to ndiswrapper 1.2 and see if they solves the hiccups.

Darkmage
23rd August 2005, 03:23 AM

using ndiswrapper 1.2

any ideas??

thanks for your time

Re-try with the 32 bit drivers and post the ndiswrapper error messages and what is the exact model of your laptop

jfalter0
23rd August 2005, 04:39 PM
I am so incredibly frustrated with this whole ndiswrapper. I have been trying to get in going for a month and a half, makes me want to quit linux and return to the Windows XP world.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop with a Dell TrueMobuile 1400 (I think) card using a Broadcom BCM4309 chipset. I am trying to use ndiswrapper version 1.2 and most recently 1.3rc1. The correct chipset uses bcmwl5.inf & .sys. I follow all the steps listed. Everything seems to work fine, until I try to issue the command

# modprobe ndiswrapper

to which I always get the response

FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1398_FC4/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid module format

What the hell does that mean? What am I missing?

Jeff

Darkmage
24th August 2005, 08:07 AM
I am so incredibly frustrated with this whole ndiswrapper. I have been trying to get in going for a month and a half, makes me want to quit linux and return to the Windows XP world.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop with a Dell TrueMobuile 1400 (I think) card using a Broadcom BCM4309 chipset. I am trying to use ndiswrapper version 1.2 and most recently 1.3rc1. The correct chipset uses bcmwl5.inf & .sys. I follow all the steps listed. Everything seems to work fine, until I try to issue the command

# modprobe ndiswrapper

to which I always get the response

FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1398_FC4/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid module format

What the hell does that mean? What am I missing?

Jeff

did you compile ndiswrapper against your current kernel? any errors when "make install" was done on ndiswrapper folder"?

jfalter0
24th August 2005, 12:37 PM
To the best of my knowledge I compiled against my current kernel. I did not see any errors when I ran make install.

Yesterday, after re-reading all the posts on this ow-to yet again, after starting over several times, I found the downloads of the kernel stuff from the livna site. When I installed these versions, I managed to get the ndiswrapper working. As a result, I now have wireless on my laptop! I still haven't got the WPA stuff working, but I am just grateful to have wireless connectivity again.

I still don't understand what went wrong before. B ut, to quote an old commercial, "The world may never know..." Thanks, Darkmage, for this HOW-TO, and for your response to my exasperated query.

Jeff

mooneroid
26th August 2005, 02:36 PM
I seem to have duplicated knavely's problem. I also have an HP ze2000z. It doesn't help to ask which exact model, because I bought it customized off the HP website. The Broadcom wireless module seems to be the same on all flavors of ze2000 machines. So, when I try to modprobe ndiswrapper and then dmesg, it says 'loadndisdriver failed', and farther up the log it says the windows driver is not 64-bit. I'm posting the relevant section of dmesg. It says to check the system log for more info, but I seem to be newbie enough to not know where to look. Any logs I've checked have nothing about ndiswrapper in them. Also, I get a lot of APIC errors, just like knavely, but I've not included those in the snip because they all come before the first mention of ndiswrapper. Here's the log:

ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:152): Windows driver is not 64-bit; bad magic: 010B
ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:520): unable to prepare driver 'bcmwl5a'
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000050 RIP:
<ffffffff88305d96>{:ndiswrapper:unload_ndis_driver+150}
PGD 6de067 PUD 6df067 PMD 0
Oops: 0000 [1]
CPU 0
Modules linked in: ndiswrapper(U) ntfs(U) nls_utf8 md5 ipv6 parport_pc lp parport autofs4 i2c_dev i2c_core rfcomm l2cap bluetooth sunrpc pcmcia ipt_REJECT ipt_state ip_conntrack iptable_filter ip_tables dm_mod video button battery ac ohci1394 ieee1394 yenta_socket rsrc_nonstatic pcmcia_core ohci_hcd ehci_hcd shpchp snd_atiixp snd_ac97_codec snd_seq_dummy snd_seq_oss snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_seq_device snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_pcm snd_timer snd soundcore snd_page_alloc 8139too mii joydev ext3 jbd
Pid: 3297, comm: loadndisdriver Not tainted 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
RIP: 0010:[<ffffffff88305d96>] <ffffffff88305d96>{:ndiswrapper:unload_ndis_driver+150}
RSP: 0018:ffff810000027e48 EFLAGS: 00010246
RAX: 0000000000000040 RBX: ffff8100006c8418 RCX: 0000000000000000
RDX: 0000000000000013 RSI: 0000000000000001 RDI: 0000000000000000
RBP: ffffc20000141000 R08: 0000000000000001 R09: 0000000000003abd
R10: 0000000000000033 R11: 000000000000000a R12: ffff810003a81a00
R13: ffffc20000141048 R14: ffff8100006c8418 R15: 0000000000000001
FS: 00002aaaaaace3c0(0000) GS:ffffffff80576c00(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
CS: 0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 000000008005003b
CR2: 0000000000000050 CR3: 00000000006cc000 CR4: 00000000000006e0
Process loadndisdriver (pid: 3297, threadinfo ffff810000026000, task ffff81000000c070)
Stack: 00000000ffffffea ffffc20000141000 ffffc20000141000 ffffffff883071e7
ffff81000276fd40 ffff810000027eb8 ffff8100006c85b8 ffff8100034e9f80
ffff810002988ac0 ffffffff802297a2
Call Trace:<ffffffff883071e7>{:ndiswrapper:wrapper_ioctl+3159}
<ffffffff802297a2>{selinux_file_ioctl+770} <ffffffff801b99cc>{do_ioctl+76}
<ffffffff801b9c3c>{vfs_ioctl+604} <ffffffff801b9ccc>{sys_ioctl+108}
<ffffffff8010f262>{tracesys+209}

Code: 48 8b 78 10 e8 c1 96 00 00 49 8d 7c 24 38 e8 57 24 00 00 49
RIP <ffffffff88305d96>{:ndiswrapper:unload_ndis_driver+150} RSP <ffff810000027e48>
CR2: 0000000000000050
<3>Debug: sleeping function called from invalid context at include/linux/rwsem.h:43
in_atomic():0, irqs_disabled():1

Call Trace:<ffffffff8013c7a5>{profile_task_exit+21} <ffffffff8013e3b2>{do_exit+34}
<ffffffff802a6059>{do_unblank_screen+137} <ffffffff80125416>{do_page_fault+1846}
<ffffffff8013a68c>{__call_console_drivers+76} <ffffffff8013beeb>{vprintk+1323}
<ffffffff801787a5>{buffered_rmqueue+1093} <ffffffff8010fa7d>{error_exit+0}
<ffffffff88305d96>{:ndiswrapper:unload_ndis_driver+150}
<ffffffff883071e7>{:ndiswrapper:wrapper_ioctl+3159}
<ffffffff802297a2>{selinux_file_ioctl+770} <ffffffff801b99cc>{do_ioctl+76}
<ffffffff801b9c3c>{vfs_ioctl+604} <ffffffff801b9ccc>{sys_ioctl+108}
<ffffffff8010f262>{tracesys+209}
ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper_load_driver:93): loadndiswrapper failed (9); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

smile2gargamel
26th August 2005, 05:09 PM
Well it does work but my keyboard behaves very weird....if I type something it will rety the same letter about 10-15 times. Example: ttttthhhhhhhhhhhiissssssssssssss I DONT KNOW WHY!

I have the same problem with a D-Link DWL-122 USB stick, ndiswrapper and fc4. Starts when I plug the usb stick in and stops when I remove it. Very strange...
Did someone already find a solution?

fsimo
27th August 2005, 06:14 PM
Hi!

I'm using fc4 and dwl-g520+
all steps work fine, but after modprobe ndiswrapper compputer get blocked

some ideas?

AhrbokTrexon
28th August 2005, 03:24 PM
I have no idea why firefox, gaim.lynx and other cannot access the internet, I will suggest downgrading to ndiswrapper 1.2 and see if they solves the hiccups.

Hi Darkimage,
I've uninistalled module from the kernel and then downlograded ndiswrapper to 1.2; poblem has not been solved :( :( :(
what kind of check can I do?

Zigzagcom
6th September 2005, 09:58 AM
Hi, someone please clear this up for me.

Do I need to install the kernel-version-src.rpm, or is the kernel-version-devel.rpm that currently matches my kernel-version-.rpm sufficient to install ndiswrapper?
I am using the 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4 kernel at the moment.

Thanx

imdeemvp
6th September 2005, 10:27 AM
You dont need the kernel-devel AKA kernel source what you need if the kernel-module-ndiswrapper but you can also install the tarball package which is very easy too.

mtl2002
6th September 2005, 01:36 PM
If you want to install a binary kernel module that someone has already compiled for you, then you don't need any source, as imdeemvp just said.

But if you want to compile the kernel module yourself, then you DO need the kernel source. That kernel source is in the kernel-devel-2.6.12_1.1447 package.

The kernel-2.6.12-1.1447 src rpm is different. It's the source that when compiled will give rise to the kernel and kernel-devel rpms. You will not need the src rpm unless you want to build your own kernel.

In brief:
1) src rpm: what you need to rebuild the kernel (e.g., if you want to make a kernel supporting a 16k stack)
2) kernel-devel rpm: what you need to build MODULES for the installed kernel (e.g., module to read ntfs partitions, modules for different devices like wireless cards, etc.)

mattypoppins
7th September 2005, 06:42 AM
will the src RPM work instead of the kernel-devel rpm? it seems to have worked for me.

mtl2002
7th September 2005, 01:55 PM
will the src RPM work instead of the kernel-devel rpm? it seems to have worked for me.

You bring up something I forgot. For the older kernels (or maybe for FC3?), the kernel source was all in the src RPM, and there was no such thing as the kernel-devel rpm. So there, the src RPM was the right one to use. But at some point, I think it was the start of the 2.6.12 kernels in FC4, they started to make the kernel-devel packages, and those were the ones that you wanted in order to build kernel modules.

socceroos
8th September 2005, 01:32 PM
hello, i am having problems with installing my dwl-g520 dlink card (freezes when I try to enable the device - and sometimes the kernel will panic on boot).

I've decided (after much frustration) to try one last thing and install 2.6.12-1.1447 stack 16 kernel and I am wondering. Since there is no specific livina ndiswrapper rpm module for this specific kernel will the generic ndiswrapper module from livina for 2.6.12-1.1447 kernel work with my stack 16 kernel?

also will the 2.6.12-1.1447 kernel-devel rpm from the livina repo work with my 2.6.12-1.1447 stack 16 kernel?

Zigzagcom
12th September 2005, 09:37 AM
Hi there, I finally got my wlan0 working. Thanks everybody. I've used the livna repo for the kernel-module-ndiswrapper. The driver files for my HP Compaq M2000 are bcmwl5a.inf and bcmwl5.sys.
Darkmage...could you possibly fix a part in the below instructions from your initial posting; your first sentence kinda led me to believe to skip the entire section...when in fact you mean to skip only the "make install" command

Go to the ndiswrapper folder and as root:

#make install --do this if you downloaded the source file or skip this if you used the livna rpm
# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i <your home directory>/bcmwl/bcmwl5.inf ...this command will create a folder in /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmwl5/bcmwl5.inf
# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l -- make sure it says "bcmwl5 present"
#modprobe ndiswrapper
# dmesg --you will see a log about the driver been loaded if you do then
# ndiswrapper -m --create an alias in /etc/modprobe.conf

Maybe its just me, thick in the head...

mooneroid
12th September 2005, 02:33 PM
Hot diggety!!! I figured it out! For all those of you with Broadcom BCM4318 chipsets please go to this link to find the correct drivers that work with Fedora x86_64:
http://www.runithard.com/HOWTO-BCOM64WIRELESS/
After you have downloaded and unpacked the correct drivers (from a file called Acer80211g.rar), use Darkmage's instructions to get things running.
My HP ze2000z (Turion-based) is now free to roam!

[EDIT: Sep 15, 2005 - I confused an underscore with a dash in the link. My apologies.]

Zigzagcom
12th September 2005, 03:37 PM
BTW, for those that have a laptop with MS still installed, i.e. dual-booting possibly, the driver files for "built-in" wireless adapters are most likely right under your nose...with the OEM install. :D

mooneroid
12th September 2005, 06:23 PM
Not so, in the case of 64-bit processors. MS has a compatibility layer that translates 32-bit stuff for the 64-bit processor (at least this is the case with the AMD Turion). At least on my system, the version of Windows I'm running is not true 64-bit. There's just a lot of translating and faking going on. The built-in wireless driver that comes with Windows (XP Pro, mind you, not a cut down version) is 32-bit and will not run in ndiswrapper on a 64-bit FC4 system.

Zigzagcom
13th September 2005, 01:51 AM
I learn something new everyday in this forum...
Thx.

Pertaining to my Compaq M2000:
The wireles led/button flickers when there is activity, but cannot switch
the service on/off. NetworkManagerInfo works quite well.
Is there a way to create an application Icon for it on the desktop or launcher bar. Right now I can only launch it from the CLI, and when it is running in the systray, right clicking won't bring that kind of menu up?

Darkmage
13th September 2005, 04:50 AM
I learn something new everyday in this forum...
Thx.

Pertaining to my Compaq M2000:
The wireless led/button flickers when there is activity, but cannot switch
the service on/off. NetworkManagerInfo works quite well.
Is there a way to create an application Icon for it on the desktop or launcher bar. Right now I can only launch it from the CLI, and when it is running in the systray, right clicking won't bring that kind of menu up?

I am glad 64bit users are getting somewhere but the application I use now is call Wireless Assistant (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=21832). Basically it detects an available wireless signal and displays the ssid. Sadly, it only works in KDE and not GNOME.

Zigzagcom
13th September 2005, 06:09 AM
NetworkManagerInfo does the same thing in gnome....
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003jan05/features/networkmanager/

This link answered a few questions.

asmweb
20th September 2005, 12:55 PM
I could finally, at least I think, to make my wireless pcmcia led turn on. Let me tell smth more. I have installed FC4 on a Compaq Presario 2500 P4, my wireless pcmcia card is a Asus WL-100g with a Broadcom Chipset. I could install ndiswrapper through the first page procedure and finally I could turn the pcmcia led on. I did download the latest broadcom driver for windows because the previus driver did not work. It gave me an error "... check cable..." or something like that.
But I still can not connect to my school wireless network although on windows I can. It seems that the DHCP can not associate an IP to my wireless card. I can get the signal through kwifimanager. Any help?

Darkmage
21st September 2005, 04:38 AM
I could finally, at least I think, to make my wireless pcmcia led turn on. Let me tell smth more. I have installed FC4 on a Compaq Presario 2500 P4, my wireless pcmcia card is a Asus WL-100g with a Broadcom Chipset. I could install ndiswrapper through the first page procedure and finally I could turn the pcmcia led on. I did download the latest broadcom driver for windows because the previus driver did not work. It gave me an error "... check cable..." or something like that.
But I still can not connect to my school wireless network although on windows I can. It seems that the DHCP can not associate an IP to my wireless card. I can get the signal through kwifimanager. Any help?

Post the output of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
Post the output of dmesg |grep ndiswrapper from a terminal

asmweb
21st September 2005, 03:00 PM
IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=10.0.1.1
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=wlan0
HWADDR=00:11:d8:33:88:4b
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=10.0.1.13
DOMAIN=
ESSID=Auto
CHANNEL=1
MODE=Auto
RATE='54 Mb/s'

and for the dmesg:

I think I might have problems with the DHCP client as well. How do I configure my DHCP client

asmweb
21st September 2005, 08:09 PM
Well, I mean I have more than one wireless network that I join. How can I make DHCP work for each of them.

thanks

Darkmage
22nd September 2005, 05:14 AM
The output of the querry from dmesg on ndiswrapper should have given you an output like this

ndiswrapper version 1.3rc1 loaded (preempt=no,smp=no)
ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (Broadcom,04/21/2005, 3.100.65.1) loaded
ndiswrapper: using irq 10

I would suggest deleting the bcmwl5 folder at /etc/ndiswrapper/ and re-do the install from the wireless nic card driver.

To detect multiple access points, I use wlassistant which can be downloaded/ installed from extra repository

LER
20th October 2005, 08:17 AM
The output of the querry from dmesg on ndiswrapper should have given you an output like this

ndiswrapper version 1.3rc1 loaded (preempt=no,smp=no)
ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (Broadcom,04/21/2005, 3.100.65.1) loaded
ndiswrapper: using irq 10

I would suggest deleting the bcmwl5 folder at /etc/ndiswrapper/ and re-do the install from the wireless nic card driver.

To detect multiple access points, I use wlassistant which can be downloaded/ installed from extra repository
-Darkmage-

I noticed that you have helped others with wireless issues, I was wondering if you could help me with mine. It is safe to say that i am a newbie to Fedora and linux as a whole.

I have the DLINK DWL-G510 wireless card and I am running a new installation of FC4 from the DVD. I have downloaded a the ndiswrapper program and used the drivers that came on the cd with the wireless card.

I have follwed all the directions from the "how to ndiswrapper in fedora" write up and everything seemed to go smothly. Here is the problem though. After everything is installed and I go into the network configuration through the GUI (GNOME), it recognizes the device {ndiswrapper(wlan0)} and i configure it for my network and try to activate the device, my computer immediately tries to reboot and then is never able to load fedora. It gets to the initializing hardware, is able to do storage but then after network comes up it reboots again. I am not even able to go into interactive setup. The only way to load fedora is to remove the wireless card.

I would greatly appreciate your advice and help with this problem. I really need to get this up and running because this is my only means of access to the internet on that computer.

shenry8N4Y
20th October 2005, 09:42 PM
use
NetworkManager
NetworkManagerInfo
after, ifconfig wlan0 up
You'll see a sweeping radar icon on the upper right of the gnome screen by the time.

maturus2523
24th October 2005, 07:09 PM
Ok, I'm sorry, I'm new new, as in 5 mins new to linux. I have 2.6.11-1.1369 and I can't get past the the make install command. I'm getting what previous people have gotten that the link isn't set up from /usr/src, but there is nothing in that folder. So I dug a little deeper and everyone is saying I need the kernel-devel packages. What are those? Where can I get them? And how do I compile or build them? By the way, my ndiswrapper is 1.4.

thomasdaly2005
25th October 2005, 01:57 AM
yum install kernel-devel
i think, something like that.

maturus2523
25th October 2005, 03:50 PM
Ok, so some updates for me. First, I have no other connection so I was pretty much stuck working with this computer and a USB key. I successfully installed the drivers using 1.2 because livna.org didn't have my kernel-module. Then I started to really have problems. After my connection was working, my computer would freeze every 20 mins or so. I looked it up and it seems as if I needed the 16k version of my kernel which I downloaded and used RPM and it worked simple enough. The problem is now I think the ndiswrapper isn't working properly because the light on my WG111 won't come on and I'm having problems in the network configuration setup. Is there an easy way to upgrade this?

shenry8N4Y
25th October 2005, 05:02 PM
Ok, so some updates for me. First, I have no other connection so I was pretty much stuck working with this computer and a USB key. I successfully installed the drivers using 1.2 because livna.org didn't have my kernel-module. Then I started to really have problems. After my connection was working, my computer would freeze every 20 mins or so. I looked it up and it seems as if I needed the 16k version of my kernel which I downloaded and used RPM and it worked simple enough. The problem is now I think the ndiswrapper isn't working properly because the light on my WG111 won't come on and I'm having problems in the network configuration setup. Is there an easy way to upgrade this?

Did you try to reinstall ndiswrapper? make uninstall everything and after you've booted off the new kernel, reinstall ndiswrapper and the driver. I'm guessing you did the lspci command to find the exact model of your card to get the proper driver.

Also, what are you using to connect ? I had no luck at all with neat/internet-druid (to access it from terminal or also from "start" > internet (I think)), but NetworkManager worked good. you must ifconfig wlan0 up
NetworkManager
NetworkManagerInfo you'll see an animated icon appear by the clock/time.

You probably did a lot of that and this, but another one you'd need is:
modprobe ndiswrapper

maturus2523
26th October 2005, 07:09 AM
so after reading every page and re-reading it I figured out that it's the fact I need to use the stk16 kernel for fedora core 4. They don't have the RPMs yet for it on livna. That puts me at make installing it myself. But that's when I get the error that the sources aren't in the right spot that they are looking for them. How do I get those there so I can make install ndiswrapper?

shenry8N4Y
26th October 2005, 05:31 PM
My computer connects fine without a 16k stack, but I guess that depends on your card and computer.

This site (http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/downloads.php) has a list of rpm kernels with the 16k stack. They are said to be identical to the original kernel except with the stack size changed. You'd just have to install via the rpm then use grub to boot off the new one. That's how I know how to do it anyway. I'm realtively new to linux myself. You can read elsewhere to figure out how to boot off the new kernel, though Fedora might do it automatically, detecting a more recent install, so I'd check at boot time first.

Also, are you using NetworkManager to connect? From what I know, it really is the best way. It lists using a gui all available wireless networks.

Anyway, good luck with that.

PS. Also, like I said before, you'd probably need to reinstall the driver and ndiswrapper.

maturus2523
26th October 2005, 07:35 PM
My apologies for not being more specific. I have one of the latest kernel (I think it's 2.6.13...1352?) with the stack from the site you put up. What I meant was the rpm's for the 16k stack kernel-module for ndiswrapper. I seem to be having some success with not using the rpm's and instead just doing the make distclean make make install but I'm getting a new error besides not finding the kernel source.

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.4]# make
make -C driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ghost/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.4/driver'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16smp/build SUBDIRS=/home/ghost/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.4/driver \
DRIVER_VERSION=1.4
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16-smp-i686'
Makefile:485: .config: No such file or directory
Building modules, stage 2.
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16-smp-i686/scripts/Makefile.modpost:38: .config: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `.config'. Stop.
make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16-smp-i686'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ghost/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.4/driver'
make: *** [all] Error 2

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.4]# make install
make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ghost/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.4/driver'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16smp/build SUBDIRS=/home/ghost/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.4/driver \
DRIVER_VERSION=1.4
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16-smp-i686'
Makefile:485: .config: No such file or directory
Building modules, stage 2.
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16-smp-i686/scripts/Makefile.modpost:38: .config: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `.config'. Stop.
make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16-smp-i686'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ghost/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.4/driver'

shenry8N4Y
27th October 2005, 05:16 PM
So you installed the rpm kernel from linuxant and booted off it? Try to find the command for seeing the kernel you booted. Then, if it's the new one, try finding that directory and inspecting it. The one(s) it says it can't find. Also, I've found Ndiswrapper 1.3 works best for me. Find that one offline somewhere and try it. Do a make uninstall to remove 1.4 sompletely, and install 1.3. For some reason 1.4 won't work on my laptop.

You don't need to make distclean, i dont think. That's only, i believe, for used installs where you needed to type ./configure. thats not necessary for ndiswrapper though. just do a make install. might help; worth a try.

maturus2523
27th October 2005, 08:15 PM
Yes, I'm booted into 2.6.13-1.1532 and that directory exists, i think the file that it's looking for does not though. Also, I can't find the source file anywhere except 1.4. Any clues?

shenry8N4Y
27th October 2005, 10:14 PM
Not really. It seems like 1.4 worked for the 4 stk kernel, but not for the 16. The 4stk wouldd crash but the 16 wont install ndiswrapper. Is that it? 1.4 ndiswrapper didnt work for me. Try 1.3 and see what happens.

What source file can't you find? The one for 1.3? Also, did you use the NetworkManager service and NetworkManagerInfo to connect before you installed the updated kernel?

mtl2002
27th October 2005, 10:39 PM
The "source" for kernel-versionx is obtained by installing the rpm: kernel-devel-versionx.

It looks like you have installed kernel-SMP-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16, which would call for kernel-SMP-devel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16 to be installed to have the source. But it looks like you don't have that installed (I say that because the compiler can't find the files that would be there if it were installed). My guess is that you either don't have any kernel-devel installed, or, if you do, you installed kernel-devel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16 instead of kernel-smp-devel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16

Make sure that you have either
kernel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16 AND kernel-devel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16
OR
kernel-smp-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16 AND kernel-smp-devel-2.6.13-1.1532_FC4.stk16

i.e., both NOT smp, or both smp.

The linuxant site has both pair types (both NOT smp, or both smp) available.

maturus2523
28th October 2005, 06:53 AM
Not really. It seems like 1.4 worked for the 4 stk kernel, but not for the 16. The 4stk wouldd crash but the 16 wont install ndiswrapper. Is that it?

Yes, that's exactly what happened.

1.4 ndiswrapper didnt work for me. Try 1.3 and see what happens.

What source file can't you find? The one for 1.3?

Yes, I can't find any source files besides 1.4

Also, did you use the NetworkManager service and NetworkManagerInfo to connect before you installed the updated kernel?

I used System Tools --> Network Device Control

maturus2523
28th October 2005, 07:11 AM
Just thought everyone should know...

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper-1.2.tar.gz?download

Pretty much, I changed the version and I found it, it worked for 1.4, 0.8, and 1.2, didn't try others, 1.3 did not work though.

However, this did not save me as I can still not make install due to the fact it can't find the .config file or whatever from my previous post (check the output.) Any suggestions before I go nuts and install windows?

shenry8N4Y
28th October 2005, 05:15 PM
"Never give up, and never surrender."

Really? 1.3 didn't work? I do recall you said you got online before but it froze. Well, I'd try to get back to the way it was before when at least you could install ndiswrapper:

Boot off the kernel that worked, but use NetworkManager instead to connect. It's easier to setup. Here is exactly what I did and it worked without fail:

su -
cd ~/ndiswrapper
make install
ndiswrapper -i my_driver
ndiswrapper -l

output:
bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present

modprobe ndiswrapper
ifconfig wlan0 up
ndiswrapper -m
NetworkManager
NetworkManagerInfo

it should take about 10 seconds after the last command to connect. You'll see an animated icon that resembles a sweeping radar, then you'll see the signal bar like in XP.

last thoughts:

if, assuming you connect, it freezes still while you're surfing the net, then, i'd suppose, we know it's the kernel. look for other articles concerning your wireless card model (again, code: lspci) either here or here (http://www.linuxquestions.org/). See if other people experience the same problem and what they did if so, of course.

i also read something somewhere that said there were certain problems with the newest kernel (.13 i think?). im not sure if it pertained to this realm, but in case it did, maybe look for an older kernel to use. im not talking super old, but the one used before this one. im not on linux now so i cant get you the one i have. im sure after you discover one you can find an rpm, anyhow. i wont pretend i know how to compile kernel source.

also, as a last resort, try using linuxant's driver wrapper. it didn't work for me, but it may for you. plus it has a much nicer interface. it uses html. the only drawback is without the cd key they you only get like 20 mbps or something, instead of the max 54. i think there is another wrapper called madwifi or something.

see if any of that help. it took me a long while to get mine to work too, but don't give up. what finally solved my problem was updating to FC4 from the FC3 dvd a friend gave me a while ago. I was going to shoot my laptop though. I even went as far as installing mandrake and ubuntu, but i ended up back at fedora and there i stay.

i think the setup screen alone says alot. partitioniing is a very delicate process, and other distros i tried use an awkward msdos fdisk looking interface to format, partition and install. Fedora makes the process seem more like home to wnidows users.

im curious, do you have a dual boot setup?

maturus2523
28th October 2005, 07:58 PM
Alright, a few things to say as usual. I did not see mtl2002's post which might have enlightened me on something. To get rid of the error of not finding the source file I followed some other instructions of taking the kernel-devel rpm and using archive manager and putting the files where ndiswrapper was looking. I'll try using the rpm how it's supposed to be used and see if that helps me.

I have tried using the other kernel and re-doing it and it still freezes, and the ndiswrapper I originally got to work was 1.2, not 1.3. I might try some of the other suggestions after I try mtl's. By the way, I do not dual boot, although there is a little something I do want to setup to dual boot, but this is not the post to discuss that. Essentially, I have a hard drive that was installed on a dual boot system of windows xp and 2003, and i just brought it over to my current setup so I'm still trying to figure out how to boot to that. I'm also working on how to install bittornado, and how to partition a blank partition into fat32 in fedora, but my internet connection remains number one on my most wanted list.

maturus2523
29th October 2005, 08:26 PM
Alright, time for an update. I have now succesfully installed ndiswrapper thanks to mtl2002's suggestion and everyone's help. However, I can't plug in the usb or start my computer (if the adapter is plugged in) without causing an instant freeze. I've tried every kernel I have. I'm going to try a regular kernel and try manually disabling the 4k stack, any clues on how to do that? I've yet to google it, but I'm going to now.

maturus2523
29th October 2005, 11:59 PM
Alright, it's all set up, I just can't get my IP address any suggestions?

prani_bobby
30th October 2005, 12:42 PM
hello everyone..........i hav a fedora 4 machine in my room. i tried hard to figure how to get a xseesion frm my lab to my room pc.......alli could do was set up vnc and get a remote desktop window in the lab pc whch runs redhat linux 6. can anyone suggest how i can start an xsessin frm my lab pc to my room pc.thnx in advace........ :)

prani_bobby
30th October 2005, 12:44 PM
also plz tell me jhow to start a new thread.......tx ;)

chunkster
8th November 2005, 10:56 PM
Right i've installed the ndiswrapper and it works fine how ever would appear that some internet programs don't work like IM,IRC and firefox any have a clue why

P.S Hi and sorry if this the wrong place to post such a question :confused:

Darkmage
9th November 2005, 09:10 AM
Right i've installed the ndiswrapper and it works fine how ever would appear that some internet programs don't work like IM,IRC and firefox any have a clue why

P.S Hi and sorry if this the wrong place to post such a question :confused:

I have not idea why those programs are not allowed access to the internet. Have you tried running say "firefox" from a terminal and see what error message you get, if there is an error message.

SneakyQuick
12th November 2005, 06:40 AM
I am working with an AMD64 processor and a Belkin wireless PCI card (broadcom chipset). I have download the latest version of ndiswrapper and the 64-bit drivers from the Ubuntu forum for this chipset. I believe I have installed everything and have confirmed this after reading through this topic.

My current problem is that I have installed ndiswrapper and gotten everything installed right (no errors that I can find) but I can not get the iwconfig to hold/remember my ESSID. It also will not find any networks when given the iwlist wlan0 scanning command. I have tried everything under the sun that I can think.

- I have created the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 from scratch
- Tried setting it from the command

As far as the lights in the back go, the link light is solid but the activity light never flickers at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Darkmage
13th November 2005, 05:42 PM
I am working with an AMD64 processor and a Belkin wireless PCI card (broadcom chipset). I have download the latest version of ndiswrapper and the 64-bit drivers from the Ubuntu forum for this chipset. I believe I have installed everything and have confirmed this after reading through this topic.

My current problem is that I have installed ndiswrapper and gotten everything installed right (no errors that I can find) but I can not get the iwconfig to hold/remember my ESSID. It also will not find any networks when given the iwlist wlan0 scanning command. I have tried everything under the sun that I can think.

- I have created the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 from scratch
- Tried setting it from the command

As far as the lights in the back go, the link light is solid but the activity light never flickers at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

From a terminal what is the output of dmesg |grep ndiswrapper. Is your ssid been broadcasted and are you using any kind of encryption - WEP or WPA?

SneakyQuick
16th November 2005, 03:22 AM
Darkmage,

Thank you for the response and I apologize for the delay but I basically punted and gave up on the card. I went out and bought a D-Link card for use with the Atheros drivers and they worked like a charm.

Thanks again.

Ianb1972
16th November 2005, 12:53 PM
I have a P4 3Ghz with Hyperthreading, and a Belkin F5D7000 Wireless network card, I am trying to install this card using Ndiswrapper 1.4 and the bcmwl5.inf file, all is fine till I type MODPROBE NDISWRAPPER then the system crashes, does this mean I need a 16K Stack?

The big question now, what 16K stack do I need and how do I install it and disable the 4K Stack?
The Kernel I am using at present is 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp

I did try installing the kernel 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.stk16smp by using rpm -Uvh <rpm-file>, but then when I typed Modprobe Ndiswrapper I got:
[root@localhost ~]# modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.stk16smp/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid module format
and then when I typed dmesg I got:
ndiswrapper: version magic '2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp SMP 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-4.0' should be '2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.stk16smp SMP 686 REGPARM 16KSTACKS gcc-4

I guess I have done something wrong

Can anyone help me out as I am new to all things Linux and want to get rid of all things Microsoft for once and all
Cheers
Ian

Ianb1972
16th November 2005, 06:00 PM
I have sorted out my problem by re-installing Fedora 4 and Ndiswrapper but version 1.5 and all went great first time using the original kernel to my amazement!

Now the problem I have is conecting to my router, I have a light showing on my wireless card and I have disabled all WEP security for the time being and to make it easier for me, now when I type iwconfig I get this:
[root@localhost ~]# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

may not be available...

Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.

Then I type iwlist wlan0 scan
and it doesn't find a thing!!!
I have tried doing it the way it says on the very first page on this forum but to be honest the first bit got me confused when it said:

Code:

[livna-stable]
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

Code:

# yum --enablerepo=livna-stable install ndiswrapper kernel-module-ndiswrapper-$(uname -r)

I have not a clue what is meant by this or how to do it, what to replace with what etc, but it does seem a hell of a lot more easier to do once you know how and the way the installation steps go from ndiswrapper!

So if anyone can please please help me I would be very very grateful
Thanks
Ian

luibh
16th November 2005, 07:58 PM
so, i'll add my woes of dealing with linux and wireless cards. i've got a motorola wn825gp, which is a broadcom card. i followed the above directions (and others that were very similar) to the letter with older drivers from the cd and with the newest drivers from motorola's site. i always got the error:

may not be available...

i assume this was causing the error:

SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument."

worked on this at home where i have wep enabled on my router, so i thought i would try it at school where there is not wep key enabled. still didnt work. some googling later, found folks having luck with opensuse 10.0. gave that a try and got the same errors. i remembered that damn small linux came with ndiswrapper compiled with the kernel (dsl 2.0 rc 2). couldn't get it to function off the cd, so i did a hard drive install. installed the driver just like above. modprobed it, ifconfig wlan0 up, then did the damn small linux control panel and dhcp broadcasted. now it works like a charm. this is being posted wireless at school. no errors and i hope when i get home i can enable the wep key with no errors.

i would rather be using fedora, mainly cause i know where things are. after a brief stint back with windows, im glad to be back using linux. even better, i have wireless functioning. any ideas why so many people are having trouble with ndiswrapper and fedora while dsl functions in just a minute or two after install?

Darkmage
17th November 2005, 02:33 AM
I have sorted out my problem by re-installing Fedora 4 and Ndiswrapper but version 1.5 and all went great first time using the original kernel to my amazement!

Now the problem I have is conecting to my router, I have a light showing on my wireless card and I have disabled all WEP security for the time being and to make it easier for me, now when I type iwconfig I get this:
[root@localhost ~]# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

may not be available...

Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.

Then I type iwlist wlan0 scan
and it doesn't find a thing!!!
I have tried doing it the way it says on the very first page on this forum but to be honest the first bit got me confused when it said:

Code:

[livna-stable]
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

Code:

I have not a clue what is meant by this or how to do it, what to replace with what etc, but it does seem a hell of a lot more easier to do once you know how and the way the installation steps go from ndiswrapper!

So if anyone can please please help me I would be very very grateful
Thanks
Ian

Basically what I meant was.....they are 3 ways of installing ndiswrapper, get the rpm from livna.org or compile it yourself or build your own rpm. If you have livna repository configured in /etc/yum.repo.d/, then getting from livna seem the easiest.

Post the output of dmesg |grep ndiswrapper
Also, what do you have configured for /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

Darkmage
17th November 2005, 02:36 AM
so, i'll add my woes of dealing with linux and wireless cards. i've got a motorola wn825gp, which is a broadcom card. i followed the above directions (and others that were very similar) to the letter with older drivers from the cd and with the newest drivers from motorola's site. i always got the error:

may not be available...

i assume this was causing the error:

SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument."

worked on this at home where i have wep enabled on my router, so i thought i would try it at school where there is not wep key enabled. still didnt work. some googling later, found folks having luck with opensuse 10.0. gave that a try and got the same errors. i remembered that damn small linux came with ndiswrapper compiled with the kernel (dsl 2.0 rc 2). couldn't get it to function off the cd, so i did a hard drive install. installed the driver just like above. modprobed it, ifconfig wlan0 up, then did the damn small linux control panel and dhcp broadcasted. now it works like a charm. this is being posted wireless at school. no errors and i hope when i get home i can enable the wep key with no errors.

i would rather be using fedora, mainly cause i know where things are. after a brief stint back with windows, im glad to be back using linux. even better, i have wireless functioning. any ideas why so many people are having trouble with ndiswrapper and fedora while dsl functions in just a minute or two after install?

You might been using the wrong driver, what do you get from
ndiswrapper -l and
dmesg |grep ndiswrapper

Ianb1972
17th November 2005, 03:56 PM
Basically what I meant was.....they are 3 ways of installing ndiswrapper, get the rpm from livna.org or compile it yourself or build your own rpm. If you have livna repository configured in /etc/yum.repo.d/, then getting from livna seem the easiest

:confused: Ok I have made the RPM as you suggested on your first mail, now I know this may seem a really silly question, but how do I save it in my /etc/yum.repo.d folder, or if I get the RPM from livna.org which one will I need? :confused:

Many thanks and I cant wait to get working with Fedora, it looks so much better than Windows XP!

Cheers
Ian

Darkmage
18th November 2005, 06:25 PM
:confused: Ok I have made the RPM as you suggested on your first mail, now I know this may seem a really silly question, but how do I save it in my /etc/yum.repo.d folder, or if I get the RPM from livna.org which one will I need? :confused:

Many thanks and I cant wait to get working with Fedora, it looks so much better than Windows XP!

Cheers
Ian

From a terminal, what is the output of uname -r

Evan_g
19th November 2005, 04:01 AM
Hi I'd just like to thank DarkMage for the tutorial and for continuing to help people out with this issue. Second I'd like to share my issue with you all in hopes that someone might be able to help :D I'll try to copy paste some stuff that might let you know where I stand.

# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kernel-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4
kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.14-1.1637_FC4

# uname -r
2.6.14-1.1637_FC4

# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630 Host (rev 30)
00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS85C503/5513 (LPC Bridge)00:01.1 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 84)
00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07)
00:01.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
00:0d.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630/730 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter (rev 21)

# lspci -n | grep 00:0d.0
00:0d.0 0280: 104c:9066

# ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
tnet1130 driver present, hardware present

# dmesg | grep ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper version 1.5 loaded (preempt=no,smp=no)
ndiswrapper: driver tnet1130 (Texas Instruments,03/10/2004,6.0.0.18) loaded
ndiswrapper (miniport_init:767): couldn't initialize device: C0000001
ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper_start_device:1441): Windows driver couldn't initialize the device (C0000001)
ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper_add_pci_device:200): couldn't start device
ndiswrapper: probe of 0000:00:0d.0 failed with error -22

I'm inclined to believe that my problem is due to my 4k stack size. However I'm terribly new to Linux so its really just a wild guess. I haven't been able to find any 16k stack FC4 kernels anywhere. In the meantime I'll keep hunting. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Evan

Edit: I guess it has also occured to me that my issue might be my driver. I got it off the install CD but I read on the ndiswrapper site that the driver off the CD may not always work. I looked up my (PCI ID :confused: ) number of the format xxxx:xxxx from lspci and matched it with a card in the list page of 'cards that work' on the same web site, however the driver download it pointed to was an .exe file :( but the driver name was the same as the one on the CD. I must say although not being wireless for 3 days hasn't been plesant it has been a linux learning experience :cool: I think I'm going to go buy that book you reccomended tomorrow, I'd really like to get a better grasp of the operating system I just fell in love with.

Edit 2: I found a 16k stack kernel but when I try to make install it complains about no source. When I try to install the .src.rpm it compains about system-config-packages :confused:. I read that you were using the -devel kernel and that got around the stack issue? I checked the grub.conf and it only listed the 'main' kernels so I don't know how to switch to the dev one :S. Thanks again.

Edit 3: Sorry for making anyone trying to help read so much. I was able to unpack the source from the 16k but when I look at the folder where it looks for the source (I think) /lib/modules/2.16.14-1.1637_FC4.stk16smp and I do a 'ls' the word source has a red background, but for other kernels its a directory. :( So red background is apparently a broken link. I followed it and it wants the source in /usr/src/kernels/2.6.14-1.1637_FC4.stk16-smp-i686. Apparently the stk16 unzipped itself into /usr/src/redhat with 2 directories SOURCES and SPECS, SOURCES containing a lot of config and patch files. . . stuck again.

Darkmage
19th November 2005, 06:44 PM
@ Evan_g
This seem to be a 16k stack issue. I just did a google on keyworld "tnet1130.inf + ndiswrapper" and you are not the only one having this problem.
To compile the kernel you will need the kernel-devel package for the kernel you are using.
yum install kernel-devel

I am using the 4k stack kernel and it works fine with broadcom chipset.

Evan_g
21st November 2005, 12:13 AM
Thank you for the response. I am still having problems installing both the 16k stack kernel and ndiswrapper together. I have installed the 16k stack kernel but when I boot off it I can't install ndiswrapper because it can't find the kernel source. I got the kernel rpm from http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/downloads-fc2-i686.php. I'm kinda stumped at this point and if anyone could point me in some direction that might be helpful I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Evan

Darkmage
21st November 2005, 05:56 AM
Do you have the kernel-devel package installed. Look at my response above

Darkmage
21st November 2005, 06:50 AM
Okay...This is what you have to do for 16k stack kernel. I am assuming you are running FC4, so go to Linuxant at 16k stack kernel (http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/downloads-fc4-kernel-i686.php) and download the kernel and the kenel-devel of your choice. I choose 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4. Open a terminal and navigate to the folder that has the kernel and kernel-devel files. Run this commands
md5sum *.zip and verify the Checksum on Linuxant webpage. If they all match with what you have, Great.
unzip each kernel with unzip kernel******* unzip kernel-devel****
then the next step is change to root from a terminal and modify /etc/yum.conf and change the line
gpgcheck=1
to
gpgcheck=0 save the modified file and exit. Still as root type
yum -y localinstall <the path where the kernels are>kernel***** <the path where the kernels are>kernel-devel****

After the install, please change gpgcheck=0 to gpgcheck=1 in /etc/yum.conf and save and exit the file.
Now reboot the system and select the 16k stack kernel. After that install ndiswrapper and the your wireless driver.

Hope this helps.

Evan_g
21st November 2005, 04:15 PM
Thank you for the reply. Sorry for really knowing nothing at all about installing kernels. I'm at work now but I'll give this a shot when I get home. The problem I had before was with 'make'ing ndiswrapper with the 16k stack kernel as it couldn't find the source code. From your responses I'm starting to believe that I had to install the kernel and the kernel-devel and installing the kernel-devel gives me the source to make ndiswrapper? I didn't understand earlier that you were asking me to install the kernel-devel package of the 16k stack kernel as well.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks again,
Evan

Edit: Well, no luck. I'm back to where I was in the first message I posted except the uname -r shows the 16k stack kernel and the rpm -qa shows the 16k stack kernel and the kernel-devel. Maybe its time to find a new card.

Darkmage
24th November 2005, 05:35 PM
Thank you for the reply. Sorry for really knowing nothing at all about installing kernels. I'm at work now but I'll give this a shot when I get home. The problem I had before was with 'make'ing ndiswrapper with the 16k stack kernel as it couldn't find the source code. From your responses I'm starting to believe that I had to install the kernel and the kernel-devel and installing the kernel-devel gives me the source to make ndiswrapper? I didn't understand earlier that you were asking me to install the kernel-devel package of the 16k stack kernel as well.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks again,
Evan

Edit: Well, no luck. I'm back to where I was in the first message I posted except the uname -r shows the 16k stack kernel and the rpm -qa shows the 16k stack kernel and the kernel-devel. Maybe its time to find a new card.

Did you install ndiswrapper for the 16k stack kernel?

cyhk
25th November 2005, 12:32 AM
I'm currently trying to install the driver for a D-Link DWL-510. I've tried to install Ndiswrapper, and when I do, it installs. Then when I try to use ndiswrapper as a command to install the netdlwl.inf file, I get the following: bash: ndiswrapper: command not found.

This is what I did:
1. Downloaded Ndiswrapper 1.5 from Sourceforge.

2. Downloaded Sharutils 4.6. (sharutils~1.rpm)

3. Installed Ndiswrapper, in a terminal, with "1. Make; 2. Make Install". No error messages are given.

4. Installed sharutils and get error message "Package not found - libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)". I've run yum and updated every packet that I could. What else am I missing here?

5. I have the XP drivers for the D-Link DWL-510 wireless card, which works in XP (its a dual boot machine, that's another story though.) So I got the following files from the XP exe file. They are netdlwl.cat, netdlwl.inf and netdlwl.sys.

I'm doing everything out of /home/cyhk/Lexic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Evan_g
25th November 2005, 01:45 AM
Darkmage: I removed ndiswrapper. Then I installed the 16k stack kernel using the help you provided. Booted into the 16k stack kernel. Then I re'made' and installed the ndiswrapper. When I installed it it didn't give me the warning about stack size like I did when I made it using the 4k stack kernel. Is there a different version of ndiswrapper I should have gotten? (I haven't gotten around to buying a new card yet :P)

Thanks,
Evan

Darkmage
25th November 2005, 05:24 AM
@ cyhk
you have to specify the path of ndiswrapper. Open a terminal and type in which ndiswrapper whatever the result is, that is the path of ndiswrapper. In my case I have to type in /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i <*.inf file>

@ Evan_g
I am using the 1.4 version of ndiswrapper, I prefer the rpm version of ndiswrapper. Put the *.inf and *.sys files in the same folder
ndiswrapper -i <path where the inf file is>*.inf
ndiswrapper -l
ndiswrapper -m
modprobe ndiswrapper
dmesg |grep ndiswrapper

Do this a root and post the output or error messages

cyhk
25th November 2005, 10:17 AM
This is the output from "which ndiswrapper".
/usr/bin/which: no ndiswrapper in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/cyhk/bin)
Yet, when I installed ndiswrapper, it gave me no errors.
Also, I tried to delete the ndiswrapper folder, but I get a permissions error. This is a personal home machine. Any suggestions on getting me full permissions?
Also, when I use the modprobe command, it doesn't accept it.

Darkmage
25th November 2005, 05:09 PM
This is the output from "which ndiswrapper".
/usr/bin/which: no ndiswrapper in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/cyhk/bin)
Yet, when I installed ndiswrapper, it gave me no errors.
Also, I tried to delete the ndiswrapper folder, but I get a permissions error. This is a personal home machine. Any suggestions on getting me full permissions?
Also, when I use the modprobe command, it doesn't accept it.

I will suggest you go to the ndiswrapper folder and do a "make clean". Then follow the first page of getting the package from rpm.livna.org

Darkmage
1st December 2005, 07:01 AM
Just is case someone needs an updated driver for broadcom, here it is

Evan_g
8th December 2005, 04:27 AM
Sorry I haven't had time to tinker with my wireless in a while. I'll try running the lines of code you suggested and let you know the result.

[root@localhost ndiswrapper]# ndiswrapper -i /home/Evan/bcmwl TNET1130.INF

[root@localhost ndiswrapper]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i /home/Evan/bcmwl/TNET1130.INF
Installing tnet1130
Forcing parameter PrivacyMode|0 to PrivacyMode|2

[root@localhost ndiswrapper]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
tnet1130 driver present, hardware present

[root@localhost ndiswrapper]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -m
Adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.conf

[root@localhost ndiswrapper]# modprobe ndiswrapper

[root@localhost ndiswrapper]# /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
[root@localhost ndiswrapper]# dmesg |grep ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper version 1.5 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper_start_device:1441): Windows driver couldn't initialize the device (C0000001)

Thanks again,
Evan

Darkmage
8th December 2005, 05:49 AM
@Evan_g
Basically ndiswrapper will not work with that Windows driver, go the manufacturer's website and see if there is an updated driver or do a search online for your driver and hopefully somebody has a different one.

@Evan_g
Are you using the 16k stack kernel?

Evan_g
8th December 2005, 03:48 PM
Ok thanks, I'll see what I can find. Yes I am using the 16k stack kernel.

mondomunchies
11th December 2005, 07:58 PM
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.1]# make install
make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/ndiswrapper-1.1/driver'
Can't find kernel sources in /lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1233_FC4/build;
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/ndiswrapper-1.1/driver'
FD

I had these errors. This fixed it:

yum install kernel-devel.i686

mondomunchies
12th December 2005, 05:40 AM
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1644_FC4/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument
[root@localhost ~]# cd ndiswrapper-1.7
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.7]# modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1644_FC4/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.7]#

I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

imdeemvp
12th December 2005, 07:45 AM
[root@localhost ~]# cd ndiswrapper-1.7
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.7]# modprobe ndiswrapper
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.7]#

I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong here.
See if this helps: http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/How_To_Install_Your_Broadcom_BCM4318_Using_Ndiswra pper

geosta
13th December 2005, 05:00 AM
I wanted to say a big thank you for all the help I've received from this forum, I've been trying to get ndiswrapper working on and off for the last month, and wouldn't have been able to do it without the support of everyone here.

Just for reference, I have a Toshiba Portege 7200, running 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4, using a Linksys WPC54G card with ndiswrapper v1.4.

Thanks.
G

aimshaw
3rd January 2006, 02:33 AM
good evening everyone . . . anyone

I finally figured out what you were talking about with the terminal talk. I have my wrapper burned onto a cd and installed it on my fedora desktop. It's linux-wlan-ng-0.2.3 (that's what someone told me I needed for my wireless hardware "stick" The files in the folder are as follows: TODO, THANKS, README (which I did. there are some instructions but they aren't working) Makefile, LICENSE, FAQ, COPYING, Configure, config.in, CHANGES, src, scripts,man, etc, doc, add-ons

The directions talk about doing something called 'make mrproper' followed by 'make config' to clean a kernel tree

I'm thoroughly confused

Then it says to build linux-wlan-ng with a tar zxvf linux-wlan-ng-X.Y.Z.tar.gz command it says

tar: linux-wlan-ng-X.Y.Z.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

make config command

make: *** No rule to make target 'config'. Stop

Is there any hope for me?

gtr225
17th January 2006, 12:37 AM
I have a Linksys wmp54g and it has the rt2500 chipset. Orignally I installed modules for it and they worked fine, except they didn't work with the lastest kernel. So I opted to use Ndiswrapper but here's my problem. It works fine and everything, except it reports that my signal strength and quality is 100/100, Before when I was using the rt2500 modules it reported I got between 89 and 92 signal strength. Was the rt2500 modules I was using under-reporting my strength or is ndiswrapper just stuck on 100?

mnisay
19th January 2006, 01:13 AM
Just is case someone needs an updated driver for broadcom, here it is

just for a note.
cant install ndiswrapper and been trying to recompile FC4 patch along with 16Kstack sources for 2 days and failed for 6 times... i stopped there.

then after i download and use this driver
(instead of the driver that comes with my windows CD that shipped with zd8000 laptop series)
i believe this is the revision 2 of
Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller.
the one that was shipped with windows CD is an old driver and didnt work with me.

now i am ready for wifi !

thanks to all help.

Darkmage
20th January 2006, 06:34 AM
@mnisay
I am glad those broadcom drivers helped and you are able to use your wireless connection :D

@gtr225
about the signal strength and quality, I have not idea since I also get 100/100 for the Link quality but then I am not far from my wireless AP.

@geosta
I am glad this write-up was of use to you in setting up the wireless connection :D

@aimshaw
The goal of this write up was to make ndiswrapper install simplified and at the same time ignore the readme/how-to that comes with ndiswrapper because some of the instructions doesn't neccessarily apply to Fedora Core

d_GeNeRiT
3rd February 2006, 10:36 PM
I got this far:

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.9]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
Installed drivers:
bcmwl5 driver installed, hardware present

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.9]# ndiswrapper -m

Can anyone advise what I did wrong? I am having a HELL of a time getting wireless to work on this Compaq V2000 with AMD Turion64 ML-28 cpu. Here is my kernel info:

[alleycat@localhost ~]$ uname -rm
2.6.15-1.1830_FC4 x86_64

Thanks

Darkmage
3rd February 2006, 10:46 PM
I got this far:

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.9]# /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
Installed drivers:
bcmwl5 driver installed, hardware present

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.9]# ndiswrapper -m

Can anyone advise what I did wrong? I am having a HELL of a time getting wireless to work on this Compaq V2000 with AMD Turion64 ML-28 cpu. Here is my kernel info:

[alleycat@localhost ~]$ uname -rm
2.6.15-1.1830_FC4 x86_64

Thanks

Thanks, it should be /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -m
I updated the instructions

d_GeNeRiT
4th February 2006, 01:28 AM
Are there any pre-requisites for the command lspci -v ?

Every time I run lspci from the command line it says "command not found"

Is there something I need to install other than ndiswrapper? I used the Livna method because I had previously used the tar ball package and it make install was fine but I got this same "command not found" when running ndiswrapper -m.

I also think I installed the wrong driver since I was not able to run lspci to find the right one.
I went thru the network configuration wizard but no dice.

Can you please advise how to remove what i have done and start over from scratch?

I really appreciate the help. I really hope I can get this fixed so I can create a tutorial on linus-for-laptops to help others.

Darkmage
4th February 2006, 06:18 AM
@ d_GeNeRiT
instead of using ndiswrapper -m use /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -m
instead of using lspci use /sbin/lspci

post the output of /sbin/lspci

Deltadeltafee
10th February 2006, 12:48 AM
I can't seem to get out of the tar.gz file
tar zxvf ndiswrapper-1.9.tar.gz and it says no such file or directory.

Darkmage
10th February 2006, 04:32 AM
I can't seem to get out of the tar.gz file
tar zxvf ndiswrapper-1.9.tar.gz and it says no such file or directory.

The best thing to do is to grab the livna rpm from the directions on the first page else

tar -zxvf ndiswrapper-1.9.tar.gz

mtl2002
10th February 2006, 04:57 AM
the other way to uncompress tar.gz or tar.bz2 files is to right click on them, then choose "extract here".

Ludicrous
10th February 2006, 05:49 AM
ok i screwed up and did the /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -m

before i pointed it to my homedir and drivers

and it created an alias, then i pointed it to the drivers and now i can't run the /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper - m it saysmodprobe config already contains alia directive.

how can i fix this.

Deltadeltafee
10th February 2006, 06:58 AM
Okay again I need help.
where do we put the second part of code. the make install part.

Deltadeltafee
10th February 2006, 10:21 PM
Okay take that first one out.
I am starting to get the hang of this.
when doing modprobe ndiswrapper it says no such module. whats wrong?-

Deltadeltafee
11th February 2006, 12:53 AM
Okay take that first one out.
I am starting to get the hang of this.
when doing modprobe ndiswrapper it says no such module. whats wrong?-
okay I did it all.
the computer is try to connect via ethernet, even through I am using a wireless card. also I am using a usb adapter.

Deltadeltafee
11th February 2006, 01:52 AM
okay I can't seem to activate the usb adapter.

Darkmage
11th February 2006, 07:28 AM
ok i screwed up and did the /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -m

before i pointed it to my homedir and drivers

and it created an alias, then i pointed it to the drivers and now i can't run the /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper - m it saysmodprobe config already contains alia directive.

how can i fix this.

That is fine as long as you get driver present when you do a ndiswrapper -l

Deltadeltafee
11th February 2006, 08:40 AM
Okay I did it all.
It says that usbnet device eth7:1 does not seem to be present. I am using a linksys usb adapter. any sugestions?

Darkmage
11th February 2006, 05:09 PM
Okay I did it all.
It says that usbnet device eth7:1 does not seem to be present. I am using a linksys usb adapter. any sugestions?

I need to know what the output of
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
dmesg |grep ndiswrapper

Post the result of the ouputs

Deltadeltafee
12th February 2006, 08:44 AM
Just by going step by step its saying under modprobe ndiswrapper that no modules can be found.
I am using the livna.repo way.

Darkmage
12th February 2006, 04:58 PM
@Deltadeltafee

Post the output of this commnad from a terminal
and
uname -r

Deltadeltafee
12th February 2006, 09:37 PM
cman-kernel-2.6.11 5-20050601.152643.FC4.2
dim-kernel-2.6.11.5-20050601.152643.FC4.2
GFS-kernel-2.6.11.8-20050601.152643.FC4.2
gnbd-kernel-2.6.11.2-20050420.133124.FC4.35
kerenl-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kerenl-devel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kerenl-doc-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

uname -r
2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

Darkmage
13th February 2006, 05:05 AM
cman-kernel-2.6.11 5-20050601.152643.FC4.2
dim-kernel-2.6.11.5-20050601.152643.FC4.2
kerenl-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kerenl-devel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kerenl-doc-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

uname -r
2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

I noticed you are using an old kernel, also you do not have the kernel-module-ndiswrapper installed
Here is an output of my querry on the rpm database
kernel-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
kernel-2.6.15-1.1830_FC4
kernel-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.15-1.1830_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4
kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4-1.7-1.FC4
kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.15-1.1830_FC4-1.7-1.FC4
kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4-1.7-1.FC4
kernel-module-qemu-0.7.2-1.fc4.2.6.15_1.1831_FC4

For each kernel, I need the kernel-module-ndiswrapper and ndiswrapper installed

Deltadeltafee
13th February 2006, 06:07 AM
Where can I download the latest kernels

Ludicrous
13th February 2006, 06:08 AM
yum update kernel

Deltadeltafee
13th February 2006, 06:23 AM
yum update kernel
OKay I don't have the internet for the computer on fedora. Where can I download the updated kernel.

Darkmage
13th February 2006, 08:42 AM
OKay I don't have the internet for the computer on fedora. Where can I download the updated kernel.

You can get the newest kernel at New Kernel (http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/)

Deltadeltafee
14th February 2006, 07:21 AM
okay I did yum updat install and it couldn't find the files. amd what am I doing wrong?

Darkmage
14th February 2006, 07:28 AM
okay I did yum updat install and it couldn't find the files. amd what am I doing wrong?

yum update kernel kernel-devel

Deltadeltafee
16th February 2006, 08:13 AM
Okay I updated it and did every thing but I got to modprobe ndiswrapper and it said
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Operation not permitted

Darkmage
16th February 2006, 08:26 AM
Okay I updated it and did every thing but I got to modprobe ndiswrapper and it said
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1369_FC4/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Operation not permitted

Please post rpm -qa |grep kernel |sort
uname -r

Deltadeltafee
16th February 2006, 10:27 AM
cman-kernel-2.6.11.5-20050601.152643.FC4.2
dlm-kernel-2.6.11.5-20050601.152643.FC4.2
kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kernel-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4
kernel-doc-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4-1.2-0.lvn.3.4
kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4-1.10-0.lvn.1.4

uname -r
2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

I still can't seem to get that last Ndiswrapper kernel

Darkmage
16th February 2006, 03:33 PM
cman-kernel-2.6.11.5-20050601.152643.FC4.2
kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kernel-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4

uname -r
2.6.11-1.1369_FC4

I still can't seem to get that last Ndiswrapper kernel

Do you have ndiswrapper installed through rpm or source?
if it is through source, I don't think ndiswrapper is complied with your running kernel - 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4. Post the output of rpm -qa |grep ndiswrapper

Deltadeltafee
16th February 2006, 08:23 PM
I would except after running the yum update install I kind of have it acting all funny.

Deltadeltafee
17th February 2006, 07:30 AM
kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4-1.2.0.lvn.3.4
kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.15-1.831_FC4-1.10-0.lvn.1.4
I am going through the livna-stable so I guess that is rpm.

Darkmage
17th February 2006, 02:19 PM
kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4-1.2.0.lvn.3.4
kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.15-1.831_FC4-1.10-0.lvn.1.4
I am going through the livna-stable so I guess that is rpm.

Good but do you have ndiswrapper installed by source or by rpm? I do not see a listing for ndiswrapper

Deltadeltafee
17th February 2006, 07:02 PM
I am not really sure what how to install it through rpm.

Darkmage
17th February 2006, 07:10 PM
I am not really sure what how to install it through rpm.

yum --enablerepo=livna-stable install ndiswrapper

Deltadeltafee
17th February 2006, 07:27 PM
okay it says error in urlopen

Deltadeltafee
17th February 2006, 07:52 PM
okay I did that now when I do rpm -qa |grep kernel |sort
I get cman-kernel-2.6.11.5-20050601.152643.FC4.2
kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
kernel-2.6.15-1.1831_FC4

Deltadeltafee
17th February 2006, 07:55 PM
WHen I type it /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i <your home directory>/Wusb54G/WUSB54G.inf all it says is that it is a directory

Deltadeltafee
17th February 2006, 08:01 PM
When I do modprobe I get
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.15-1.1831_FC4/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument

Darkmage
17th February 2006, 08:08 PM
When I do modprobe I get
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.15-1.1831_FC4/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument

Here is a another explaination of how to install ndiswrapper HOW TO NDISWRAPPER (http://www.fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/How_To_Install_Your_Broadcom_BCM4318_Using_Ndiswra pper)

Deltadeltafee
17th February 2006, 10:46 PM
Okay I finally got ndiswrapper installed the only problem is that when I install the WUSB54G.inf it says couldnot copy. Then whe I do ndiswrapper -l it says its an invalid driver. I think I am using windows drivers, where can I find linux drivers for my WUSB54G adapter. thanks. Oh yeah thank you for your patientce I am kind of very new at this.

Darkmage
18th February 2006, 12:10 AM
Okay I finally got ndiswrapper installed the only problem is that when I install the WUSB54G.inf it says couldnot copy. Then whe I do ndiswrapper -l it says its an invalid driver. I think I am using windows drivers, where can I find linux drivers for my WUSB54G adapter. thanks. Oh yeah thank you for your patientce I am kind of very new at this.

Are you performing this as root or a user?
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i blah..blah..blah should be done as root and you need the .inf and .sys file from windwos driver

Oh.. you welcome :D

Deltadeltafee
18th February 2006, 01:10 AM
I've been doing it as root, and when I do modprobe ndiswrapper it says for all of them are invalid drivers.

toolazy2p
18th February 2006, 06:15 AM
My errors:

Originally posted by evan_g
[root@localhost ndiswrapper]# /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
[root@localhost ndiswrapper]# dmesg |grep ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper version 1.5 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)

This guy had different errors:

Originally posted by mondo_munchies
I had these errors. This fixed it:

yum install kernel-devel.i686

That seemed to solve my problem, even though my errors different from mondo_munchies. Is it possible the devel kernel is mandatory for ndisswrapper to function correctly with more recent kernels? Perhaps an update to the how-to is needed.

One problem I have though is that I am not able to test out my wireless connection because I don't have a wireless network immediately available. What settings do I need to connect to a public network besides auto obtain ip via dhcp? Also, when I try to activate wlan0 it says, "Error: unrecognised wireless request 'Mb/s'". Do I need to fix that?

Oh, and if I have "activate when comp starts" and I am w/in a wireless network radius, will it automatically connect to that network?

Darkmage
18th February 2006, 06:29 AM
I've been doing it as root, and when I do modprobe ndiswrapper it says for all of them are invalid drivers.

Lets trying installing the driver again and please post the output
open a terminal and as root, delete /etc/ndiswrapper with
rm -fr /etc/ndiswrapper
then
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -i /home/<location of your inf file>/*.inf
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper -l
modprobe ndiswrapper
dmesg |grep ndiswrapper

Deltadeltafee
18th February 2006, 06:53 AM
Okay I try to install the .inf
It says couldn't copy WUSB54G.inf at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper line 135

Darkmage
18th February 2006, 07:00 AM
My errors:

This guy had different errors:

That seemed to solve my problem, even though my errors different from mondo_munchies. Is it possible the devel kernel is mandatory for ndisswrapper to function correctly with more recent kernels? Perhaps an update to the how-to is needed.

One problem I have though is that I am not able to test out my wireless connection because I don't have a wireless network immediately available. What settings do I need to connect to a public network besides auto obtain ip via dhcp? Also, when I try to activate wlan0 it says, "Error: unrecognised wireless request 'Mb/s'". Do I need to fix that?

Oh, and if I have "activate when comp starts" and I am w/in a wireless network radius, will it automatically connect to that network?

If you doing the install from source, then the kernel-devel is needed but if you are installing the rpm it is not needed.
The message "Error: unrecognised wireless request 'Mb/s'" can be ignored or to solve the problem launch Network Configuration, edit the wireless connection and go the tab Wireless Settings and change the transmit rate to Auto, save the changes and the error message should go away.

To connect to any access point, like windows with no encryption/WEP/WPA etc you will need to have wpa_supplicant configured.

toolazy2p
18th February 2006, 07:17 AM
Okay I try to install the .inf
It says couldn't copy WUSB54G.inf at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper line 135

Make sure the location of your driver prior to the driver.inf install is correct. /home/... is not the same as 'root home'.

Deltadeltafee
18th February 2006, 07:27 AM
okay did that and still line copying error. This is what line 135 says
copy("$inf", "$confdir/$driver_name/$driver_name inf") or die "couldn't copy $inf";

Darkmage
18th February 2006, 07:31 AM
okay did that and still line copying error. This is what line 135 says
copy("$inf", "$confdir/$driver_name/$driver_name inf") or die "couldn't copy $inf";

Post the contents of your WUSB54G file where your WUSB54G.inf file is

Deltadeltafee
18th February 2006, 07:32 AM
WUSB54G.inf is in Filesystem/WUSB54G
The folder contains WUSB54G.inf and WUSB20XP.sys

Darkmage
18th February 2006, 07:42 AM
WUSB54G.inf is in Filesystem/WUSB54G
The folder contains WUSB54G.inf and WUSB20XP.sys

Grab a fresh windows driver and try the install again

Deltadeltafee
18th February 2006, 08:14 AM
Grab a fresh windows driver and try the install again
Okay I guess I need to know where to get the drivers, since it dosen't look like WUSB54G.inf is not working with ndiswrapper. Is there a program that'll tell me what chipset I am using?

Darkmage
18th February 2006, 05:13 PM
@Deltadeltafee
post the output of lspci from a terminal

toolazy2p
19th February 2006, 03:21 AM
If you doing the install from source, then the kernel-devel is needed but if you are installing the rpm it is not needed.
The message "Error: unrecognised wireless request 'Mb/s'" can be ignored or to solve the problem launch Network Configuration, edit the wireless connection and go the tab Wireless Settings and change the transmit rate to Auto, save the changes and the error message should go away.

To connect to any access point, like windows with no encryption/WEP/WPA etc you will need to have wpa_supplicant configured.

I installed the livna rpm according to your how-to.

Middelburg Travel Photos on Instagram - Baijiantan Travel Photos on Instagram - Allentown Instagram Photos