PDA

View Full Version : java

LackeyLad
7th December 2004, 11:53 PM
im trying to run and compile java programs on my machine

im new to running java on linux so i need eveything.

1. what software must i download to do this
2. is any of it yumable?

mugga
8th December 2004, 12:14 AM
All you need is the Java SDK (Software Development Kit) and your fav text editor.
Although, NetBeans is a pretty good IDE.

You can download the Java 1.5 SDK by its self - about 50Mb,
or you can download the Java 1.5 SDK bundled with NetBeans - about 100Mb

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

Have fun!

LackeyLad
8th December 2004, 12:23 AM
awsome, downloading now.

tis a bin file, how to i install from bin?

imdeemvp
8th December 2004, 12:26 AM
open termanil and become root and type: sh pacakage_name.bin

mugga
8th December 2004, 12:27 AM
When you have it, just dot slash it :-)

./java2-whatever-its-called.bin

You may need to set it's perms to Execute.

LackeyLad
8th December 2004, 12:31 AM
[root@localhost erich]# ./jdk-1_5_0-nb-4_0-beta2-bin-linux.bin
bash: ./jdk-1_5_0-nb-4_0-beta2-bin-linux.bin: Permission denied
[root@localhost erich]#

how do i set to execute?

mugga
8th December 2004, 12:37 AM
You need to change the permissions of the file so that it is executable :-)

chmod 755 jdk-1_5_0-nb-4_0-beta2-bin-linux.bin
./jdk-1_5_0-nb-4_0-beta2-bin-linux.bin

LackeyLad
8th December 2004, 03:33 AM
installed, what are the command to compile and excute a java program?

crackers
8th December 2004, 04:27 AM
Read the Java Tutorial (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html) - you have a lot of learning to do. You have just entered the realm where very few are going to walk you, step by step, through the whole process.

lech
8th December 2004, 09:42 PM
Hi,

My own experience is that Java works great on linux, I wrote a midi sequencing applciation on MS Windows and now I switched to Fedora core 3(first 2) my program still works fine ;) the crossplatform compatibility is really cool!

If you download the latest jdk/netbeans bundle you'll be stuck with netbeans version 4.x I suggest you use 3.6 (stable) in stead because it has complete documentation (while 4.x documentation is unfinished).

By reading the netbeans help(F1) and the Java API documentation and tutorials you'll be developing in no time, good luck!

Lech

crackers
9th December 2004, 04:21 AM
Er, don't start with an IDE (e.g. Netbeans) - start with the tutorial and a plain text editor. Learn the language, not an IDE. lech is partially correct - learn to love the API documenation. It's the best I've ever seen since the old Turbo C manuals. (I still have one!)

P.S. I moved this thread since the topic has drifted from installing to programming... :D

mugga
9th December 2004, 04:32 AM
Excellent point!
Don't learn how to use the IDE, learn how to use that language.

Your First Cup of Java
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.html

tomjmalone
9th December 2004, 10:47 AM
I found the best way for java is to use http://www.jpackage.org/, its yumable, the only drawback is that non open source software has to be rebuilt, but its not that hard.

Tom

crackers
10th December 2004, 05:50 AM
I can appreciate the ease of installation and all that (as well as the hard work) that the JPackage folk are doing, but if you're learning Java and/or the libraries and applications, in my opinion, it's better off for the beginner to use the original installation packages and be able to follow the original developer(s) documentation. Quite a bit less confusion and ... well, it's Java. Write once, debug everywhere. :D (The cross-plaform abilities are quite amazing, actually.)

hector
3rd January 2005, 04:35 PM
here i can advice you Anjuta IDE. its not complex like netbeans and supports several languages-from java to python. if i remember it true , you can find the program from www.freshrpms.net. i think it can useful for the first time who start java

crackers
4th January 2005, 04:11 AM
I would respectively disagree - you do not effectively learn a new language by using an IDE or a MDE, especially on your own. You learn the programming environment and how to make it work. Once you're ready to work with the application outside of the development environment, you are now totally lost: you're used to the "crutch" of the environment. This is especially true of Java and it's CLASSPATH.

Vinica - Naregal Photos - Mankayan Travel Photos on Instagram