PDA

View Full Version : Why would you want to use linux

Beng
6th December 2004, 03:40 PM
What reasons are there really to use Linux? Suppose i am an employee in an Office using my
PC for internet clients, text and spreadsheet documents. Why would i want to move away from Windows XP?

(and don't call me evil :D )

Uhlix
6th December 2004, 03:56 PM
less chance of getting a virus if you have them loaded on machines with basic users that dont know much about computers
:edit: not to mention cutting cost if you are a start up company etc. etc.

GreyGeek
6th December 2004, 05:28 PM
What reasons are there really to use Linux? Suppose i am an employee in an Office using my
PC for internet clients, text and spreadsheet documents. Why would i want to move away from Windows XP?

(and don't call me evil :D )

OK, You're not evil!

Bill Gates thinks you must move away from XP. "Put down that XP and step away! Get out your wallet and purchase LongHorn" It's not like you won't be moving away from XP. Microsoft will be moving away from it and you WILL HAVE to move away from it too, or be stuck on an island by yourself. It's the infameous Micro$oft upgrade treadmill, powered by lots or YOUR cash. Think about Win95. Why did you leave it?

Other reasons:
XP can do very little by itself. You must PURCHASE OTHER software to do anything useful. Office, SQL Server, Visual Studio (.NET), a good firewall, graphics programs, video and audio players, etc.... When XP reaches its EOL you'll have to move to LH if you want to keep getting those patches which fix security holes or protect against Hoof and Mouth Disease, a common cattle bug. After you move to LH you'll have to purchase LH versions of all that software you purchased to make XP usefull. They are proprietary for cash, they won't give that stuff to you for free.

Download FC3 and you get a NSA secured OS with all the apps, or equivilents, as part of the ISO sets. If you really don't feel comfortable using an OS without paying a lot of money for it and you want the "Windows L&F" then purchase the business edition of Xandros and select the Microsoft skins. Then you can do insanely stupid things like copy IExplorer.exe over to it and run IE as your browser... or word, or Excel, .... really stupid stuff like that. Stupid? You'll already have OpenOffice and it reads and rights 99.999% of all Office files without problems. You have GIMP, which does about anything PhotoShop does, or Blender which does evern more - like making movies!

But... don't let me stop you. Put off buying that new car. Borrow from your kids college fund, wear those patched clothes a bit longer. Eat more cheap trash food. Just so you can give the richest man in the world more of your hard earned money. And, after Gates has locked your data safely away in his WinFS and then activates his pay-per-use plan you can give him even more of your money to do mundane things like spell checking that document you just completed writing, or playing the DVD again. He does have your credit card number doesn't he? Yes? Then I'm sure about every evil cracker on the planet also has it and will get around to using it sooner or later if you aren't at the top of the list. If you are then it will probably be sooner.

bryancole
6th December 2004, 05:57 PM
1) Ease of use: GNOME really is now easier to use than the WinXP desktop. The best I can describe it is 'relaxing'. Installing Fedora Core is a cinch.
2) Speed: FC3 is alot faster than XP on low CPU spec machines.

james_in_denver
6th December 2004, 06:09 PM
It's free.

if something breaks I can fix it.

If I can't fix it, usually somebody else has already found and corrected the bug, before I ever saw it.

No spyware on my Linux box, and haven't had a single Linux virus or exploit since I started using it about 10 years ago.

I OWN my machine, and the software that runs on it. With windows, you don't "own" their software, you are just buying Microsoft's PERMISSION to use their programs. I can (if I really wanted to) examine any line of source code for any program that I use. Nothing happens on my computer without my permission (or stupidity?)

No "Blue Screens of Death".

My computer doesn't spy on me....

And oh yeah, did I mention it's free?

bob
6th December 2004, 08:16 PM
Beng, why YOU should use Linux is simple: You are certain to impress clients with your abilities in an operating system that few of them are familiar with. You can demonstrate how impressive Open Office is and that it compatible with Microsoft Office in every aspect. Furthermore, you are certain to impress the clients that you are extremely cost-conscious and intelligent to select these alternatives.

digitalchaos
6th December 2004, 09:34 PM
It's free.

If I can't fix it, usually somebody else has already found and corrected the bug, before I ever saw it.

Those are the BEST reasons ever.

I hate how I have to depend on other propritary software inorder to fix windows.

taylor65
6th December 2004, 11:37 PM
If you're running a business, why pay for extra overhead if you don't have to? You become less competitive that way. Also, XP doesn't work well as a server, so your web site will need multiple servers running in parellel or in a silo just to have a hope that 1 server is up and running at any point in time. If you worked in an IT department for a large company that uses Windows, you wouldn't run Windows at home.

Pegasus
7th December 2004, 12:01 AM
-> Reasons for linux usage

listed without any order - because its LINUX :D
- it's free
- i have full access to all processes
- it does what i WANT to do
- no easy virii/worm etc. usage
- it's compatible to windows software - WITHOUT silly error messages :D
- it's faster
- x86-64 usage -> i'm not willing to be a test person for Bill Gates 64Bit version of Windows!
- my hardware is supported

-> Pegasus choice
I've programmed assembly for many years on 32Bit Win systems. And found dozens of bugs, exploits etc. The curious thing is: they are all working - even with the last "Service Pack" - regardless if Win2K, XP, 2K3 or 64Bit 2K3/XP ;)
My intention was to look behind the "wall" - but what i've seen in the past was the decision to change the system.
I made one try to show Redmond how it could be - and im not a person who explain things twice!
With Linux - which is running on several systems for years - i havn't got such problems. Also the leaks didn't exist.
Finaly, we made the decision to swap all systems from Win to Linux - since this time, the workflow is more productive, we have less support questions, nearly no error reports, and pushed up the completly productivity by 68%.
The employees didn't work more - but they are able to work without erros ...

egr
7th December 2004, 02:56 AM
I like that I can see/fix/change everything

Beng
7th December 2004, 09:06 AM
Sound reasons. I'll start trying this at home. Here's what i do:

1. tcp/ip, the noteworthy thing is running a mailserver, any tips? i need solid spam and virus checking.
2. Documents and spreadsheet (open-office will cover it nicely)
3. Playing multimedia files like mp3, divx/vidx, is that covered?
4. Burning cd-rom/dvd (heard that was covered from i thread i started in wibble)
5. Programming, since i program delphi guess i will keep one windoze box around for that

my biggest concern actually atm is if i can run my favorite game, World Of Warcraft, a directx game. Any solutions besides running winxp inside VMWARE which sounds silly?

side question:

Many years ago i experimented with a linux version called Slackware (think i actually installed it from 5.25 inch flexibale floppies :P) i remember needing a swap partition.
What would be a goood partion setup for a 20 gb harddrive in a system with 1 Gigabyte
of memory? I have about 8 gigbytes which i am gonna need for different tasks like encoding divx to mpeg-2, dvd authoring etc so files on that 8 gb will change often and perhaps fragment the partition.

Shadow Skill
7th December 2004, 09:34 AM
Off topic:

Just exactly how old is slackware?

LeNain
7th December 2004, 09:50 AM
Ok, here are my tips if you want to switch definitly

1. tcp/ip, the noteworthy thing is running a mailserver, any tips? i need solid spam and virus checking.
- cyrus + spamassassin + postfix/sendmail (everything is shipped with FC3)
2. Documents and spreadsheet (open-office will cover it nicely)
- Openoffice as you said it, but there are still some (very few in fact) documents that won't export correctly, you should switch to oo documents or PDFs
3. Playing multimedia files like mp3, divx/vidx, is that covered?
- Totem-xine (totem is shipped with FC3 but you could use some tutorials to install totem-xine from livna)
4. Burning cd-rom/dvd (heard that was covered from i thread i started in wibble)
- K3B, shipped with KDE and therefore FC3
5. Programming, since i program delphi guess i will keep one windoze box around for that
- Well well, this point is easily covered, as you have GCC, Eclipse, for common languages, but Delphi also exists under linux, it's called Kylix, and it's a Borland Product

my biggest concern actually atm is if i can run my favorite game, World Of Warcraft, a directx game. Any solutions besides running winxp inside VMWARE which sounds silly?

And for the last one, Cedega (http://www.transgaming.com) it's not free (binaries), it's quite cheap, and it runs quite well, most of the time faster than under windows, but i'm not sure if WOW is supported, you should check their website, but be assured that if it's not supported, it will be soon :D

adam
7th December 2004, 10:43 AM
I won't force anyone to move from XP, but sure I can tell why I did. I am fresh to Fedora & Linux, but I became very glad after a month of using it. Wasn't THAT hard to customize.
I read somewhere a great sentence which made me think seriously about changing my OS - "user in control, not user controlled" - which seems to be true when using Linux. And feeling that is amazing. Linux gives you the control and a real satisfaction after solving every single problem. After many distros I tried, none except Fedora lasted longer than 30 minutes on my hdd. It fits my needs perfectly. Look at this powerful forum - people help each other here in a very pro way. When I was running Windooze I couldn't get rid of feeling I am seriosuly dependent of something. Of course I wouldn't even wonder about it if I had money to buy a legal copy plus all the legal copies of every single software I needed, which is simply impossible according to my earnings.
Now, running FC3 I really enjoy working on it (smooth!) and admire what the developers did. I am getting use to it and *learning useful things*, which are bit more ambitious than just instant clicking 'Next' buttons. Just wanted to say that. Take care :)

yr2alex
7th December 2004, 01:26 PM
It's free.

No spyware on my Linux box, and haven't had a single Linux virus or exploit since I started using it about 10 years ago.

I OWN my machine, and the software that runs on it. With windows, you don't "own" their software, you are just buying Microsoft's PERMISSION to use their programs. I can (if I really wanted to) examine any line of source code for any program that I use. Nothing happens on my computer without my permission (or stupidity?)

No "Blue Screens of Death".

My computer doesn't spy on me....

And oh yeah, did I mention it's free?

Yeah!!! what james_in_denver said! besides the best things in life are free.

my $0.02 ;)

Uhlix
7th December 2004, 02:32 PM
And for the last one, Cedega (http://www.transgaming.com) it's not free (binaries), it's quite cheap, and it runs quite well, most of the time faster than under windows, but i'm not sure if WOW is supported, you should check their website, but be assured that if it's not supported, it will be soon :D

You sir have just enable me to ditch windows for good.

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3518

i will forever be greatful :D

kosmosik
7th December 2004, 03:05 PM
What reasons are there really to use Linux? Suppose i am an employee in an Office using my PC for internet clients, text and spreadsheet documents. Why would i want to move away from Windows XP?
1. Windows cost when Linux usualy is free (as in beer) - this is significant and can give very good economic model... but since you already own Windows XP (and probably Office) it is not an argument - now. but sometime you will have to upgrade...
2. Windows cost since it maintainance is much more effort than maintainning Linux - Linux is virus/adware/failure free (so you don't have to waste money on AV software and fixing stuff - time costs)
3. Windows requires decent hardware to run - with Linux you can get a cheapo old box like P2 233Mhz with 64MB ram, pop in CD and turn this machine in very flexible and good firewall/router solution...
4. Again on costs - entire Windows software stack is very expensive, f.e. if you run database server, clients to this database server, office software connectiong to it and so on every element costs - like add together Windows licence, SQL Server licence +seat licenses, Office licenses and you will get a nice sum, also SQL Server requires Windows Server (which cost) +seat licences to Windows Server, etc. etc. - you get it? :) With Linux I can run this with only hardware cost but it requires more skill...

If you consdering a switch to Linux it is not a must situation, Linux can coexist with Windows... you can:

1. turn your network infrastructure such as routing, DNS, firewal to Linux - this is a must have...
2. turn your network services as file/printer sharing, web, email to Linux - this is also a must have...
these two points are transparent to users...

3. turn your databases and applications (meaning web hosted applications, and clients to web clients) to Linux - it may be hard, depending what you are using right now...

and most hardcore stuff:
4. use Linux as desktop on terminals and PCs - this is hard because it requires to retrain your users...

you can always load a Windows PC with OpenOffice.org, Mozilla FireFox, Mozilla Thunderbird and treat it as transition... when you decide to switch desktop to Linux users will be already familiar with those applications which will make it easier...

uglybluecat
7th December 2004, 05:02 PM
You sir have just enable me to ditch windows for good.

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3518

i will forever be greatful :D

Oh please, please, please let it be true for me too!

The only reason windoze still exists on my laptop is for games!

Beng
8th December 2004, 08:48 AM
I just love this conclusion:
We'll switch to linux cause it runs World of Warcraft hehe :D

Guess it's a very good reason, in fact yes. The reason i switched back to Windows years ago was the fact that for my job Windows programming was involved as well and i couldn't run my favorite windows game on Linux.

Anyway i am going to try to switch to Fedora, at least at home. Totally agree on the backoffice assesment, there's really no reason to run ms$$$ there.

comsparks
8th December 2004, 03:52 PM
I was running Xandros and bought a copy of Linux for Dummies which had a copy of Fedora Core 1 in the back. I installed it which erased Xandros and was pleasently surprised of the ease of use and installation. Had to make some minor tweaks. I then downloaded Core 3 which is much better and I really like it. But there are some issues with sound in Core 3 that I had that I didn't have with core 1. I now can down load and install programs that I couldn't do in Xandros v2 without breaking it. I really like Gnome and the up2date feature. I'm very new to Linux but I have the time to learn it and it's a real turn around from WIndows. The people on the forumn are very helpful and also almost all are very friendly. I understand that Xandros has just release their newest version 3 and promises great things but time will tell.

Chas.H
8th December 2004, 10:18 PM

In a word... Kylix.

You want to do Delphi programming? Go to the borland website and check out Kylix. It is Delphi *AND* C++ Builder all in one for Linux. How cool is that! :cool:

Bill Gates verdient een pastei in het gezicht.

core
12th December 2004, 02:43 PM
you know youve got to try everything and try to matsh it togeder and look wish one is better..

tkmaster
16th December 2004, 01:32 AM
yea that cedega thing is cool however you have to pay for a subscription to transgaming.... not that they dont need it but it would be nice if there is a free solution....

Shadow Skill
16th December 2004, 05:46 AM
Well as for myself I grew very tired of the cconstant IE updates, and as I became more and more computer literate I began to see just how much windows itself sucked. Plus I like the control Linux gives me, I do sometimes feel as though it were mocking me though like with my wireless card which I just got to work but after a format I can't get it going anymore....

harlequin
16th December 2004, 08:29 AM
I've got fedora cause it's the version of Linux that I've been learning on. Why did I get linux? Well I'm studying Computer Science, and with it is all the programming that we have to do, it's much easier to program and compile in linux than on windows (esp. being a student as we've got very little money). I also like the idea of linux being a lot more customisable than windows is.

The only problem that I've got with linux is that it's not as plug 'n' play as windows is, but then having only just *got* FC3 (and having only used windows at home) I imagine I've got some learning/experimentation to do.

Shadow Skill
16th December 2004, 09:24 AM
Yes in certain situations it can be plug and try to figure out how to configure, or it can be a case of plug and pray. FC3 seems to be alittle better than fc2 at this to its credit.

yanik
16th December 2004, 01:31 PM
Why would you want to use linux ?

The first reason would be because I love computer, and no modern OS let me dig that much into the core of the OS, the inner working. I can tinker as much as I like, screw everything up, and have lots of fun. I feel in prison on Windows (notice the image, Windows only let you watch inside your system from a little window, linux let you walk right in).

The second reason would be because of the philosophy behing the open source software movement, Stallman and friend from the gnu project, and of course linux himself. These people have a vision, a vision of computing that appeled me a lot more than the vision of Mr. Gates. Anyone saw the movie Revolution OS?

And lastly I would say because I can contribute to it. I can take part in this revolution. Not by coding since I'm just an admin, but having a certain influence because of my job, people listen to me when I talk about computers, and I certainly plug linux everytime. I like the idea that linux evolve the way it's users wants it.

Now why do I use Fedora core 3? Well, this is weird, because this is really not my type of distro (rpm based). But to make the story short, I know enough about linux (well, no, you never know enough but still). I want things to work as fast as possible. I don't want to spend hours anymore on configuring every pieces of software on my system. My gentoo, slackware, archlinux and LFS days are over now. I want to install and work/play.

Just a note, I saw some post of people using fedora to learn linux. This is weird, I don't get it. Distros like fedora, mandrake, suse and such are the last distro to try if you want to learn linux. These distros are for people that want a linux that just work. Do a gentoo stage 1 install, or a archlinux minimal install, and go thru it 'til you hit the desktop. It'll take you a whole weekend (for gentoo at least), but you will learn a lot more about linux in that weekend then you'll ever learn by using an easy distro. Gentoo has great documents to help out thru the process of installing. You will learn how to configure and compile apps/kernel, the whole linux boot process, the init used by linux, permissions, security, the bash and it goes on...

Anyway, just my 0.02$CAD

Yanik

Shadow Skill
16th December 2004, 08:38 PM
They wont get a stage one Gentoo install going unless they already know something EVEN with the proper manual they have for the installation process. I have been using Fedora for about six months and can navigate the CLI relatively well and I still screwed up my stage 3 Gentoo install seeing as I am not really familliar with the Fdisk utility, I formated my Fedora partition accidentally. :) Plus a Gentoo install is far too time consuming just to get the base system up it took me about five hours.....You don't use Gentoo to learn basic Linux stuff you use it after you know basic Linux stuff a distro like Suse or Mandrake would be far better for Learning as opposed to Gentoo.

yanik
16th December 2004, 09:44 PM
I strongly disagree, but it's ok :) Everyone has different experience I guess. You know it's normal to screw things up when you are a newbie.

aviceda
31st December 2004, 09:26 PM
......but what are the eyes and fish for in the Gnome panel?

Woad_Warrior
31st December 2004, 11:16 PM
while it's generally not acceptable behaviour to answer a question with a question, in this case i have to. why would i want to give up the advantages of linux (pretty much covered in the above posts) to work in a wintendo enviroment? that would be like handing the control of my comp to M$, the virus writers, the spyware writers, the script kiddies, and other undesirable elements in our sick and twisted society.

Stevens Point Instagram Photos - Telford Travel Photos - Jaunpur Photos on Instagram