PDA

View Full Version : My Experiences with Fedora

msimplay
6th December 2004, 11:47 AM
First of all i gotta say that Fedora is a great distro :)
Primarily i'm a Gentoo user and i believe it is excellent however sometimes i need a system to just work without all the compiling , i had to use it at the time because no distro was compatable at the time with my new P4P800-E motherboard

When i first inserted the Fedora3 dvd i was impressed by its easy installation procedure and
easy setup , things on Gentoo i normally do manually they were all done here
and traditionally i had thought of Fedora as a slow distro but not so i was pleasantly suprised at how well it ran with a nice clean interface

My first snags were like many peoples the media playback
so i went about searching on how i read the forums and i found out that yes everything i did on Gentoo is possible here even if with a few snags

I installaed all the usual Browser plugins without a snag using the Fedora Faq
I came to installing things like Totem and Bittornado i ran into problems
so i found out how
On Fedora things are Comprised into different Repositries
This is where Gentoo has the advantage where everything can be found in one Repositry
However it was a minor problem once i knew about it in Fedora
I used Fresh Rpms to install mplayer worked out great because it installed with all support for plugins however i did have to manually download the win32 plugins something i don't normally have to do in Gentoo but it was a minor quibble

Then i went about adding OpenGL support for my games
Enemy-Territory
UT2004
Never winter nights
Counter Strike - Cedega / Point2Play

so i found instructions for installing the nvidia drivers
relatively simple except that with the standard commands i had to add the directory /sbin/ before the command and i had to install gcc which isn't there by default unless u pic it specifically at the start , but this was due to my inexperience with the distro, It didn't install from add/remove programs because it complained about not finding SELINUX libs yet they were there and installed , this was minor as i searched the forums and i found the solution i just downloaded GCC from the livna repositry

i wanted to install mplayer plugin however it wouldn't install via yum because i downloaded the freshrpms mplayer because i wanted support for all plugins
however this caused a problem with mplayer plugin for me as it wanted to install from livna with mplayer reinstalled all over again and freshrpms doesn't have the mplayerplugin at all
so my only choice was to install via source however this caused me some problems i managed to find all the src dependancies and install mplayer plugin

i had installed everything except Counter Strike with Point2Play
I downloaded Cxoffice for applications like quicktime ,shockwave and internet explorer
Personal choice of mine because i prefer Quicktime for streaming in websites
and shockwave doesnt have a linux equivelent
, And yes i mentioned Internet Explorer I know its not a very good browser however i need it to test what my web code looks like in each browser

I installed it with a minor snag with exec shield and it CXOFFICE seemed to correct this by itself by redoing Prelinking
it installed all my applications correctly.

My major snag point came at this point where i wanted to install Bittornado as i needed wxpython i was enable to find a Fedora core 3 package anywhere
and I tried to compile it via source but it seems the distro lacked the development tools
and i couldn't add/remove programs because of the update i had done when i first installed it , i tried via source but was unable to install it due to incomplete compiling packages
so that was ok because i could wait until FC3 did have the packages as i knew it was a new distro version

Remember when i installed mplayer plugin it seems some of its dependancies included mesagl libs somewhere and it seemed to bork my nvidia installation and having searched the forums to find out that it was irreversable i tried to reinstall it but same problems i had with tv-out not working and nvidia driver being disabled

My conclusion as i decided to go back to Gentoo was that
Its a good distro however unlike Gentoo these problems would happen nearly everytime a new distro version come out
problems with packages not being available due to new distro ie FC2 > FC3
and the way the systems work is different so rpms can't really be used between FC2 > FC3
so in short although a good linux distro
it wasn't my idea of an easy distro
so many repositries made it hard to administer
ie mplayer livna not compatable with mplayer from freshrpms
not being able to install xine even tho mplayer and xine share a dependancy ffmeg i had to download it from freshrpms instead

I don't know wether these problems apply to all binary based distros / rpms / deb
but for me i had to return to Gentoo as i didn't have problems with having to becareful what packages i installed because With Gentoo i know that packages are all Compatable with each other

My suggestion would be to organise a single repositry where packages are compatable with each other rather then 5 or six repos and rpm problems that way

versioned rpms makes it difficult with even the distro base as i couldn't add and install some programs since i had updated to updates shown in up2date

Minor Snags that i could learn to live with but i prefer to voice my opinion and try to help towards a fix for what i think is a bit of a problem

and why does Fedora or any distro have to update so much ?
when everything can be update via yum
that would include updating from gnome 2.6 > gnome 2.8
In Gentoo once its installed thats it never have to upgrade or install again
Debian also follows this
However why isn't it true for Distros like Fedora / Suse / Mandrake

Finalzone
6th December 2004, 12:16 PM
Most likely fixed bugs and security issue. You don't have to update if you haven't have issue.

msimplay
6th December 2004, 12:41 PM
Most likely fixed bugs and security issue. You don't have to update if you haven't have issue.

nope thats not my point point would be updating through downloading a new collection of packages where upgrade routes aren't always smooth and you could lose all your work
if upgrades were done via yum as in completely upgrade from FC2 > FC3
that would make it a lot easier for many of us

sorry if this seems out of the question but i'm very used to it with Gentoo

Jman
6th December 2004, 11:07 PM
From what I've heard Gentoo is not a versioned release, updates happen continuously. Fedora is release oriented.

Because of this a yum upgrade to a new release would be huge rpm transaction. If something interrupted it in the middle you might get a corrupted installation. Instead the installer also does upgrades.

One can try a yum upgrade to a new release, but it is not tested.

msimplay
6th December 2004, 11:50 PM
From what I've heard Gentoo is not a versioned release, updates happen continuously. Fedora is release oriented.

Because of this a yum upgrade to a new release would be huge rpm transaction. If something interrupted it in the middle you might get a corrupted installation. Instead the installer also does upgrades.

One can try a yum upgrade to a new release, but it is not tested.

it can't be more huge then installing a whole fedora dvd that contains more then the files u need
however it must be possible as Gentoo , Ubuntu and Debian all run this way
Gentoos stable is versioned for example

2004.0 , 2004.1 , 2004.2 , 2004.3 << seperate releases and can be upgraded to quite easily
I'm not knocking fedora as i think its excellent but those are my suggestions and it would be good to hear some opinions thanks for replying :D

as a good distribution i feel this is a way forward
as in Other distros like Ubuntu and Gentoo this is an option to either install via cd or via
their package system

it just makes a system a whole lot easier to maintain

zer0mus
25th December 2004, 09:33 AM
well, i've had fedora for 3 days, and i am about ready to toss it and return to Windows XP. i can get the sound to work right (soundcard is detected and sound works, but there's no volume control), manipulate files and install with ease, and i can actually map my ports! i have no idea where to begin here, except with iptables, only that command doesn't even exist in my bash!!!

but, i did get UT2004 installed, finally, and guess what? it runs slower and looks crapper than it did in windows! i thought linux was supposed to be screaming, but so far it feels like cripple-ware.

imdeemvp
25th December 2004, 10:14 AM
To me windows is user friendly but not stable or secure enough. Linux on the other hand is secure and stable but you have to do some major tweaks to make it do what others just do in windoz which is click, next, and finish.
it runs slower and looks crapper than it did in windows!
What are your pc specs? If you played UT2004 in M$ this means you have a good video card and good ram.

For iptables help open terminal and type:/sbin/iptables --help

cripple-ware
Sounds like windows with all those spywares, adware, and viruses installed without you even knowing they are there. I would recommend you to try mandrake linux which is more user friendly. You can find a lot about other distros at www.distrowatch.com and for future help with fedora visit the www.fedorafaq.org

telmo
25th December 2004, 10:19 AM
I have to agree that Windows is superior as a gaming platform... but that's it!

And PLEASE don't tell me that you got all your hardware working the first time you ran Windows! That would be pure luck!

You know all those things (drivers) you have to install after Windows? And what about Office... How much $? Ooops, sorry... you need more software than that? Can't find any freeware? Than you have to buy! Am i right or am i right? :)
And don't let me start talking about security... let's just say... if you love spyware; trojans; virus; popups, etc... Windows is great! ;) Imean... how many anti-spyware software do you need running? 3? 4? Hmmm... maybe not enough!

It's not my intention to criticise your choice of O.S.... or maybe it is! :D
But don't worry... we've 'all' been through that... Actually... i still am! I need it to work (and i hate it!) It's lots like when you catch a cold... just choose the rigt pill...

About Gentoo... It's good to hear nice things about FC3 from a Gentoo user... i'll try Gentoo myself someday (when i have about 6 or 7 free hours to install it) eheh

comsparks
25th December 2004, 07:27 PM
All I can say is that I really like Fedora Core 3. I was using Xandros 2.0 Deluxe and I was breaking and reloading it all the time. I never broke Fedora and was able to load programs that I otherwise couldn't do in Xandros. I have Windows XP on another machine which I use very seldom to only play a game or two. Fedora is the distribution that won me over to Linux!

msimplay
25th December 2004, 09:30 PM
well, i've had fedora for 3 days, and i am about ready to toss it and return to Windows XP. i can get the sound to work right (soundcard is detected and sound works, but there's no volume control), manipulate files and install with ease, and i can actually map my ports! i have no idea where to begin here, except with iptables, only that command doesn't even exist in my bash!!!

but, i did get UT2004 installed, finally, and guess what? it runs slower and looks crapper than it did in windows! i thought linux was supposed to be screaming, but so far it feels like cripple-ware.

I think that most people come to linux expecting a different version of windows
but i think taking the time to learn how Linux works deserves some attention and when that is done thats when you can make an informed decision on wether you want to use windows or linux

as for ut2004 if you use an nvidia card u should download the drivers for the card
and as far as i am aware the game runs exactly the same as it does on windows

Punta Prima Beach - Cape Trafalgar Instagram Photos - BrightBytes - Heritage Village Museum Photos on Instagram