PDA

View Full Version : Thinkpad Tap to select and Virtual box

jbkt23
14th December 2012, 03:30 AM
I've installed F18_64 on a x61 laptop for the beta DVD, I selected Mate for the DE and went through the discovery process of WTF and searching FF for the solution which i found. Now I want to enable the tap to select feature of my trackpoint and also install Virtualbox so I can test that for my user base.

Configure-trackpoint has been the tool I've used in the past but it is not maintained since 2008. It requires a lost of gnome libs etc... which are not installed. So have others found a workaround?

Virtualbox also requires dependencies and I usually install it via autoten which now has a new name. Autoten does not come out till after the distro has been released though I will look there to see if something has been brewed for F18. In the mean time has anyone found an easy way to install all the dependencies required?
I found that Vbox is in the F18 repositories but would not install due to missing dependencies. Googling the dependencies got me to the package names that were missing, like QT etc... All are installed now and Virtual Box is running. jbkt23

Mate has been stable through the first update cycle and is running well so far. I've allowed selinux to run un hindered and have not had issues yet.

More as I try new things

jbk

Kuba7
14th December 2012, 04:30 AM
Hi,

I can't help you with Mate DE since im on KDE, but Virtualbox is easy. Get the repo file from: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/fedora/virtualbox.repo save&copy it to /etc/yum.repos.d/. Dependencies required, afaik install kernel headers and kernel devel for your current kernel version plus install gcc. Than you can simply install virtualbox from your package manager of choice.

Hope i could help ;]

jbkt23
14th December 2012, 01:23 PM
I still need help on the tap to select functionality. There are a number of suggestions on the Thinkwiki. Has anyone found which will be successful? Gpointing-device is dead and configure-trackpoint requires alot of gnome dependencies. The other suggestions are hacks to system scripts which I have no problem attempting but I want to avoid going down the most difficult path.

AdamW
18th December 2012, 02:23 AM
Most desktops provide a checkbox for the tap-to-click thing in their mouse config applet. If you want to just turn it on permanently systemwide:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration#Example:_Tap-to-click

create a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d named something like 50-tap.conf (start with a number and end with '.conf', you can give it whatever name you like) with that as the contents.

jbkt23
19th December 2012, 04:44 AM
Most desktops provide a checkbox for the tap-to-click thing in their mouse config applet. If you want to just turn it on permanently systemwide:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration#Example:_Tap-to-click

create a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d named something like 50-tap.conf (start with a number and end with '.conf', you can give it whatever name you like) with that as the contents.

Thanks Adam, but I should have said Press to Select, as I use the little red button in the middle of the thinkpad keyboard to navigate. The configuration you are referencing is for the synaptic type touch pad which is disabled on my machine by choice. The press to select feature seems to be only available by the configure-trackpoint program that I will have to compile from source when I get around to it.

AdamW
19th December 2012, 11:39 PM
ah, the nipple!

jbkt23
20th December 2012, 12:55 PM
Back to virtualbox, I have found that dkms is not building the modules for the updated kernel's Vbox currently only works for kernel 3.6.10-4.... The current kernel is 11-3....

Dec 15 12:58:18 Installed: VirtualBox-4.2.4-1.fc18.x86_64
Dec 15 06:56:57 Installed: dkms-2.2.0.3-4.fc18.noarch
Dec 15 12:19:11 Installed: akmods-0.4.0-3.fc18.noarch

There is no kmod in rpmfusion for the current kernel or the previous one, that is why I installed dkms and akmods, they are supposed to automatically build and install the modules. Is there a setting in some config file that I need to edit?

Yellowman
20th December 2012, 02:20 PM
[leigh@main-pc ~]$ uname -r
3.7.0-1.fc18.x86_64
[leigh@main-pc ~]$ rpm -qa *\Box\*
akmod-VirtualBox-4.2.4-1.fc18.3.x86_64
kmod-VirtualBox-3.6.9-4.fc18.x86_64-4.2.4-1.fc18.2.x86_64
VirtualBox-kmodsrc-4.2.4-1.fc18.x86_64
VirtualBox-4.2.4-1.fc18.x86_64
kmod-VirtualBox-3.7.0-1.fc18.x86_64-4.2.4-1.fc18.3.x86_64
kmod-VirtualBox-3.6.8-2.fc16.x86_64-4.2.4-1.fc18.2.x86_64
[leigh@main-pc ~]$

jbkt23
21st December 2012, 03:59 AM
Thanks Yellowman, I'm working on these now.

I have the missing packages now, namely akmod-vbox and vbox-kmodsrc. Whether both are needed I won't know.

Vbox is solved but not trackpoint and that won't happen till I have much more time. I do have the scrolling working.