PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on boot after failed software update

Maxxi
30th September 2012, 10:27 PM
Now when I try to boot normally, it just shows me a rotating "busy" cursor in the top left corner forever.

Then I boot into runlevel 3 and try to do *anything*GGer with yum and it tells me:

"There was a problem importing one of the Python modules required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1: file too short

Please install a package which provides this module, or verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the current version of Python which is:
2.7.3 (default, Aug 9. 2012)
[GCC 4.7.1 20120720 Red Hat 4.7.1-5)

How do I fix this without having access to yum? I could remove gcc with rpm I think, but I can reinstall it without yum, so what's the point.. just looking for some advice on what I should do, reinstallation is of course always an option.

I would rather fix this because I don't know if a new installation would erase my other partitions again... it doesn't really tell me what it formats and what it won't format.

AdamW
1st October 2012, 12:02 AM
Alpha install wipes selected disks entirely.

You can install packages with rpm, but if libgcc is busted I doubt *anything* will work. Your best option would be to extract the package that contains that file - libgcc - on some other system and copy the correct version of the file into place, I guess.