PDA

View Full Version : 3 problems with fc3

yannara
30th November 2004, 01:50 PM
Hi! First I want to say, that I'm quite noobie at Linux, so please guide me in the easy way :)

1. My home pna network connection won't work. "Determing IP information for eth0...failed; no link present. Check cable". I did check, that eth0 is the right device, so it should work, but it doesn't. I set up that it connects DHCP automaticly. Weird thing is, that in Core 2 it worked wih no problems, on the same hardware. I have AMD Home Based Pna, and it uses Home Pna 32 driver, or something, in fedora. So the driver is right.

2. My hard drive is really slow, it shows 6mb in 8 sec. 970kB/s read speed. I have also another drive, which is ment for windows, and its speed is 56mb in 8 sec. Both drivers are in the same computer. Dma is on, and both disks have the same settings through hdparm.

3. How I can mount ntfs partitions? I need fedora to open and read from there.

4. I can't play mp3 in fedora, because mp3 plug-in is not istalled. What a **** is that? :eek:

rpaller
30th November 2004, 02:14 PM
3. NTFS and FC3 (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora3.html)
4. Due to legal issues surrounding MP3 format it is not bundled. Go to XMMS site and grab the plugin. DAG Repositories has the RPM as well xmms-mp3 (http://dag.wieers.com/packages/xmms-mp3/)

yannara
30th November 2004, 02:50 PM
1. I did that trick with modprobe.conf file, I did enter options pcnet32 homepna=1 line there, but nothing happened, I still can't activate my network.

2. I triend hdparm -X69 (ultra dma 5), but it didn't speed up anything :(

yannara
4th December 2004, 04:45 PM
I installed ntfs rpm package in console and restarted, but when I'm mounting my ntfs hard drive here, it says;

[root@localhost /]# mount ntfs -t /dev/hdb /mnt/ntfs
mount: fs type /dev/hdb not supported by kernel

deuch
4th December 2004, 04:57 PM
did you used the exact package for your kernel ? (i mean the same version number ?)

deuch

hiberphoptik
4th December 2004, 05:14 PM
I installed ntfs rpm package in console and restarted, but when I'm mounting my ntfs hard drive here, it says;

[root@localhost /]# mount ntfs -t /dev/hdb /mnt/ntfs
mount: fs type /dev/hdb not supported by kernel

looks like you got the -t in the wrong spot it should be before the ntfs not after

if all else fails do what i did and convert your ntfs partition to fat32 because lets face it... do you REALLY need ntfs at home?

imdeemvp
4th December 2004, 07:21 PM
Read the instructions provided step by step and re assure yourself that you selected the correct kernel package. Instructions. (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/instructions.html)

xC3ss
5th December 2004, 12:54 AM
go to this url and follow all instructions
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

or try to chk your kernel if really understands NTFS by executing the following command
cat /proc/filesystems
it should display an entry for "ntfs"

go fire! good luck

yannara
6th December 2004, 08:00 PM
What is a commend to console which views the version of kernel? I thought FC3 i686 could be one version only, am I wrong?

What mp3 player you would recommend? Helix and music player needs some m3 plug-in and Real Player can play one track at the time, which is very silly. Something like Winamp looks, and no additional plug-in installations.

One more weird thing here is, that I don't see any cd-burning software for linux, but in software package installition-list there were something....

deuch
6th December 2004, 08:09 PM
uname -a will give you all of wanted information.

For MP3 playing, use XMMS with its mp3 plugin :

heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=400

To burn CD, you can use k3b, it's avalaible in standard package via yum or on the CD.

deuch

jgionet
6th December 2004, 08:19 PM
to see your kernal version type in: uname -a

_the_mighty_
6th December 2004, 08:40 PM
One more weird thing here is, that I don't see any cd-burning software for linux, but in software package installition-list there were something....

I prefere X-CD-Roast (http://www.xcdroast.org/). A rpm can be found here: http://rpmseek.com/rpm-pl/xcdroast.html?hl=de&cx=0::

Have fun :)

mighty

yannara
14th December 2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks for your answers guys, I'll try those tricks leter, but now I have new problem to solve! I have Sapphire R9800 Pro 128 and I downloaded linux driver - rpm package from ati's site. When I run it with up2date command, is says me this;

[root@localhost /]# up2date -i /home/s0200514/fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.6.i386.rpm
GPG keyring does not include the Red Hat, Inc. public package-signing key

I don't understand, what this really means.

yannara
14th December 2004, 05:57 PM
Now I tried rmp -i command, and it says: [root@localhost ~]# rpm -i /home/yannara/fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.6.i386.rpm
file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.6 conflicts with file from package xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.1-12

JLF_65
14th December 2004, 08:29 PM
Now I tried rmp -i command, and it says: [root@localhost ~]# rpm -i /home/yannara/fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.6.i386.rpm
file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.6 conflicts with file from package xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.1-12

You usually have to remove the Mesa libs before or after installing drivers for nVidia or ATI.
32bit: rpm -e --nodeps xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL
64bit: rpm -e --nodeps --allmatches xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL

Of course, once you do that, every time you update something that depends on that, it will get reinstalled and you'll have to remove it again and reinstall the custom drivers. It's a big pain. I wish there was a way to make programs think the nVidia/ATI drivers were the Mesa drivers so it quit trying to reinstall them.

Even worse, FC knows that xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL was installed at some time in the past, so when up2date goes to solve dependencies, it will hang if that lib is a dependency and it's been removed. If you run up2date and something shows that you know needs xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL, reinstall it before trying to update the package to keep up2date from hanging. Then afterwards, remove it and reinstall your nVidia/ATI drivers YET AGAIN.

yannara
20th December 2004, 06:12 PM
No I have an serious problem! My GRUB is ****ed up, and I don't know hot to fix it. I have windows installed also on the same hdd, and I even can't boot from the windows install cd (I would fixboot and fixmbr there). I know, that I can boot also from Fedora installition CD, but I don't know how to fix GRUB, so windows would also be startable. Please help!

yannara
2nd January 2005, 02:30 PM
You usually have to remove the Mesa libs before or after installing drivers for nVidia or ATI.
32bit: rpm -e --nodeps xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL
64bit: rpm -e --nodeps --allmatches xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL

Of course, once you do that, every time you update something that depends on that, it will get reinstalled and you'll have to remove it again and reinstall the custom drivers. It's a big pain. I wish there was a way to make programs think the nVidia/ATI drivers were the Mesa drivers so it quit trying to reinstall them.

Even worse, FC knows that xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL was installed at some time in the past, so when up2date goes to solve dependencies, it will hang if that lib is a dependency and it's been removed. If you run up2date and something shows that you know needs xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL, reinstall it before trying to update the package to keep up2date from hanging. Then afterwards, remove it and reinstall your nVidia/ATI drivers YET AGAIN.

God damn JLF_65, that command really worked. But now I have to do 10 some ohter things to make that driver work. Not funny at all :(

yannara
30th June 2005, 12:06 PM
Would in FC4 work all those things?

- ntfs support

- mp3 and avi playback

- ATI drivers

r1348
30th June 2005, 02:50 PM
For ntfs support in FC4, you just need to install the kernel module available here (http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora4.html) , according to your kernel version (uname-a)

The mp3 format has some licensing problem so it will never be officially added to the fedora core package. Just install the xmms-mp3 plugin for xmms, or gstreamer-plugins-mp3 for rhythmbox, both available at livna.

ATI drivers are proprietary code so they can't be redistribuited by Fedora. I've never had an ATI card so i don't know exactly the procedure. I just know they tend to be a big pain... there.
You can try the livna rpm distibution, take a look here (http://rpm.livna.org/livna-switcher.html).

yannara
28th March 2006, 01:55 PM
jesus! RTFM is so suitable for me. I fight half of a year with these issues, and now I got all worked out in a couple of days after I discovered the FAQ for linux. LOL :D