PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else enjoying Rawhide?

Yellowman
30th July 2012, 05:30 PM
Anyone else enjoying Rawhide?
I am :dance:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6907158/Screenshot%20from%202012-07-30%2011%3A24%3A28.png

sea
30th July 2012, 06:03 PM
Did i miss something, i had expected to see a black gnome, this one looks (IMHO) almost like cinnamon.
If its about stable (?), i'd give it a try to replace F16 on the laptop.

Yellowman
30th July 2012, 06:39 PM
Did i miss something, i had expected to see a black gnome, this one looks (IMHO) almost like cinnamon.
If its about stable (?), i'd give it a try to replace F16 on the laptop.

It is cinnamon, why would I want to use gnome-shell (it crashes at login)?

If its about stable

Do you mean rawhide or cinnamon?
Rawhide isn't that stable at the moment here due to nouveau crashes.

I'm really going to enjoy replacing the **** they call nautilus (it's F18 makeover will be very unpopular) with nemo. :dance::dance::dance:

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

If you promise not to sue I will post a nautilus screen shot :blink:

DBelton
30th July 2012, 06:59 PM
So you are going to go about finding nemo, eh? :D (sorry, couldn't resist the pun :lol: )

Nemo is captain over the nautilus.. so nemo rules! :p

Bet, yes, I agree. I haven't tried F18 with the new nautilus changes, but from what I saw of them, it will be very unpopular.

I am getting ready to download rawhide as we speak, though. Hopefully I can have it on one of my test boxes in the next day or so.

nonamedotc
30th July 2012, 07:41 PM
If you promise not to sue I will post a nautilus screen shot :blink:

Please do! I wanted to see the nautilus after reading about the makeover ... Not yet tried rawhide though .... Thanks. :)

I am getting ready to download rawhide as we speak, though. Hopefully I can have it on one of my test boxes in the next day or so.

Do you upgrade your repositories from a F17 install or download a nightly? I am asking because I have not seen a succesfully built nightly compose for sometime now - Everytime I check I only see failed! :doh:

Yellowman
30th July 2012, 09:42 PM
Here you go:)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6907158/Screenshot%20from%202012-07-30%2022%3A35%3A50.png

Nemo (left)
Nautilus (right)

Dan
30th July 2012, 09:52 PM
Ye, Gods! <..:eek:..>

So much for Nautilus. Used to be a good thing. Now? Not so much. <..:Y..>

nonamedotc
30th July 2012, 10:26 PM
oh dear god ! :Y They couldn't have messed this up more!

R3v0lut10nary
30th July 2012, 10:31 PM
That cinammon desktop actually looks kinda nice....

DBelton
31st July 2012, 02:34 AM
Please do! I wanted to see the nautilus after reading about the makeover ... Not yet tried rawhide though .... Thanks. :)

Do you upgrade your repositories from a F17 install or download a nightly? I am asking because I have not seen a succesfully built nightly compose for sometime now - Everytime I check I only see failed! :doh:

Dang it.. I can't find a good nightly, either. Oh well.. Guess I won't try out F18 this week :(

errorxp
31st July 2012, 04:42 PM
Most of the "new" stuff gnome devs come up with is like pie in the face for the regular pc user :doh:

hadrons123
31st July 2012, 04:54 PM
Time after time whenever I get the urge to kill my Fedora installation, I upgrade it to rawhide to see what new in there. Most of the times it won't boot or even if it does, too many apps crashed for no apparent reason. I wonder how some people really run rawhide all the time. Debian unstable is far more usable and stable than rawhide, I do understand that Debian unstable packages are older than Fedora release packages , but I have a working computer with Debian unstable which is usable. Debian has experimental too. But you cannot be running all your packages from experimental, you can only select a few packages which in a way looks lot sane way of experimenting packages.

DBelton
31st July 2012, 05:11 PM
Most of the "new" stuff gnome devs come up with is like pie in the face for the regular pc user :doh:

And not even a good tasting pie, at that. :Y (It think it's more like a "pie" they found out in a cow pasture)

nonamedotc
31st July 2012, 05:13 PM
And not even a good tasting pie, at that. :Y (It think it's more like a "pie" they found out in a cow pasture)

Was that intentional? (Think Spherical ....) ;)

DBelton
31st July 2012, 05:19 PM
:C :C :dance: :dance: :C :C :dance: :dance: :C :C

tbelvin
1st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Time after time whenever I get the urge to kill my Fedora installation, I upgrade it to rawhide to see what new in there. Most of the times it won't boot or even if it does, too many apps crashed for no apparent reason. I wonder how some people really run rawhide all the time. Debian unstable is far more usable and stable than rawhide, I do understand that Debian unstable packages are older than Fedora release packages , but I have a working computer with Debian unstable which is usable. Debian has experimental too. But you cannot be running all your packages from experimental, you can only select a few packages which in a way looks lot sane way of experimenting packages.

Trying out the current Fedora release after Rawhide won't boot is always a surprise at how well everything works!

dcharlespyle
2nd August 2012, 08:28 PM
I'd try to enjoy it if I could get it to install without a hitch. So far I can't seem to get past a major SELinux error about not being able to find a suitable profile, which, following this, then gives me the choices of system maintenance, kernel panic or no firstboot and no user to login, and that is after fighting with all the dependency issues with shotwell and gvfs, and watching gpk-update-viewer fail repeatedly with the following:

GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._pk _5ftransaction_5ferror.Code21: Too many packages to process (2704/2500).

This then leaves my system in a partially upgraded state because when the program manages to run it forces a restart and/or logoff before the updating is finished.

I have tried every method given in the documentation on the wiki--to the letter--with no joy. :C

Well, there is one method I did not try and that was with a live cd. Maybe the eighth time is a charm? Maybe I just need to get some real rest and be fresh before trying this again. :D

tbelvin
3rd August 2012, 01:40 AM
I had a dependency problem with shotwell too, but I ignored it and Rawhide boots fine for me with a fresh install. I have gvfs installed without a dependency problem in Anaconda now. At the end of the install Anaconda seemed to hang after installing all the packages before installing the bootloader, but unplugging a replugging my internet connection seemed to wake it back up.

I also had no firstboot after login, but then again I relabled with SELinux right away, so maybe that threw it off. I just logged in as root and created my normal user instead of using firstboot.

I wish I was a programmer and could be more helpful.

dcharlespyle
3rd August 2012, 02:21 PM
Could you let me know whether or not Shotwell runs on your installation? I am now running Rawhide but I got to that point by removing it.

I did not do an Anaconda install. I used the gpk-update-viewer method. I could not get past that dependency error and do the update until I removed both Shotwell and gvfs.

Now that I want to reinstall those packages, I now get the same dependency error and the packages cannot be installed. I checked the directory where the requisite libraries are supposed to be. They are present and accounted for.

I am also getting another tainted kernel message from ABRT but running su -c 'dmesg | grep taints' shows nothing.

I also keep seeing the error from SELinux: "unable to find a usable policy file" at bootup. And, User Accounts STILL doesn't load without slamming the hard drive and killing System Settings. I have had the same problem since Fedora 17. This is even the case on a clean install of Fedora 17.

I am not enjoying Rawhide as yet but at least now I am running it. :dance:

tbelvin
3rd August 2012, 09:54 PM
Could you let me know whether or not Shotwell runs on your installation? I am now running Rawhide but I got to that point by removing it.

I did not do an Anaconda install. I used the gpk-update-viewer method. I could not get past that dependency error and do the update until I removed both Shotwell and gvfs.

Now that I want to reinstall those packages, I now get the same dependency error and the packages cannot be installed. I checked the directory where the requisite libraries are supposed to be. They are present and accounted for.

I am also getting another tainted kernel message from ABRT but running su -c 'dmesg | grep taints' shows nothing.

I also keep seeing the error from SELinux: "unable to find a usable policy file" at bootup. And, User Accounts STILL doesn't load without slamming the hard drive and killing System Settings. I have had the same problem since Fedora 17. This is even the case on a clean install of Fedora 17.

I am not enjoying Rawhide as yet but at least now I am running it. :dance:
shotwell-0.12.3-1.fc18.x86_64 is installed by Anaconda, but running it I get: shotwell: error while loading shared libraries: libgphoto2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. I tried removing shotwell to be installed with Anaconda, but it kept getting added back, eventhough it can be removed on its own in yum.

If I get a kernel crash warning with ABRT, but the kernel was listed as being tainted, it won't let me report the error. Sometimes I get random kernel crash warnings that seem to have no affect, or sometimes the kernel is listed as tainted. Maybe someone else can answer your question on those empty kernel crashes.

I also get the "unable to find usable policy file" with this fresh install of Rawhide while booting. I don't get any noticable problems after, but I did relable with SELinux, and later on after booting I see the SELinux policy loaded. Try permissive mode and seeing if setroubleshoot shows anything, or relabling.

dcharlespyle
4th August 2012, 07:59 AM
It looks like the dependencies are missing from Rawhide. Shotwell expects certain versions of the libraries to be there and they are not there in the installation and cannot be found in the Rawhide repository--at least that it what the errors say during installation. The libraries just aren't there. In order for Shotwell to work in Fedora 18 Rawhide, I ended up having to copy the two libraries and their symbolic links to the /usr/lib64/ directory from an old Fedora 13 package. Installing the programs caused the error to continue to state that the requirements were not met. However, using rpm and forcing the installation made it install and it now works.

I also now know the cause of the tainted kernel error and the cause of my User Accounts woes. It is the linux firmware for cx18 television tuner devices. Either that, or it is the cx18 module itself when the kernel loads it. I am not sure why that it but I confirmed it by multiple times installing and uninstalling the Hauppauge firmware for cx18. When it is not installed in the /usr/lib/firmware directory, User Accounts loads just fine and there is no tainted kernel error generated and caught by ABRT.

When the firmware is in the directory, the network interface is delayed in its proper functionality, I get the tainted kernel errors, and User Accounts in System Settings fails to launch after slamming the processor and hard drive and filling memory to capacity.

I do not yet know or understand why that is but I am anxious to get to the bottom of it. It was never a problem on either Fedora 15 or Fedora 16, but on Fedora 17 and now 18 Rawhide, it is a serious problem potentially for any one with a Hauppauge HVR-1600 television tuner card installed in their systems.

Thing is, I never install the module for cx18. It just loads. It does not function properly without the firmware, however. But, for some odd reason, when the firmware is installed, something is interfered with in the kernel that affects User Accounts. Anyone else have any idea why that might be?

---------- Post added 4th August 2012 at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was 3rd August 2012 at 06:13 PM ----------

If I get a kernel crash warning with ABRT, but the kernel was listed as being tainted, it won't let me report the error. Sometimes I get random kernel crash warnings that seem to have no affect, or sometimes the kernel is listed as tainted. Maybe someone else can answer your question on those empty kernel crashes.

I only see the ABRT crash warnings about a tainted kernel on kernel 3.6.0-x. I did not see them on previous kernels with the exception of 3.5.0-1. I am not yet sure why that is. I, too, do not get the option to report the errors relating to the kernel. What is maddening is that dmesg | grep taints reveals nothing about what is going on but dmesg | grep tainted gives me this:

$ dmesg | grep tainted
[ 5.181219] Pid: 162, comm: usb-storage Not tainted 3.6.0-0.rc0.git9.3.fc18.x86_64 #1

I have never seen this "error" on any previous Fedora installation but only on Rawhide.

I am also experiencing various keychain errors when I do try to report some errors and crashes I have been experiencing with Rawhide. Sometimes, I am asked for and can provide my password to unlock the keychain, but at other times this does not work, I cannot authenticate, and then cannot send the crash data. So, I cannot report even half of the crashes and errors I have experienced other than anecdotally. That, of course, does not make for good troubleshooting and debugging so the developers can find and squash the bugs. :C

Holy crap! I can run Cheese in Rawhide! I haven't been able to run Cheese since Fedora 15. I wonder if the firmware situation also has something to do with that problem, too...

dcharlespyle
4th August 2012, 09:00 PM
Confirmed. Having the cx18 firmware in /usr/lib/firmware also causes Cheese to fail. Taking the firmware files out of the directory results in Cheese working as programmed.

But, the question of the day is why it is that a bjorked Fedora 17 upgrade from Fedora 16 resulted in a working Cheese in spite of the firmware files being in the aforementioned directory. :C :confused:

tbelvin
4th August 2012, 09:42 PM
Dunno, maybe the /usr move for F17 lets you have conflicting packages installed from F16.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove

Since you're running Rawhide, have you tried the latest git for LinuxTV?
git clone git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git
cd media_build
./build
make install

I got it to build on my Rawhide system, but I don't have the hardware or experience to help. Maybe someone else who uses LinuxTV can answer your questions.

dcharlespyle
5th August 2012, 09:23 PM
Dunno, maybe the /usr move for F17 lets you have conflicting packages installed from F16.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove

Since you're running Rawhide, have you tried the latest git for LinuxTV?
git clone git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git
cd media_build
./build
make install

I got it to build on my Rawhide system, but I don't have the hardware or experience to help. Maybe someone else who uses LinuxTV can answer your questions.

I have no development software installed on the system at the moment. I plan to do another reinstall in a day or so that will include the developer packages and try this suggestion. I am also thinking about swapping in another revision of the same card that has the problematic firmware to see what difference that might make.

But, why that firmware would cause problems in Cheese and User Accounts is another question. Maybe shared memory somewhere? If I can reallocate the memory used by the card it might solve the problem. Now, to find out which kernel flags I can use to do that for the pci card accessed by cx18.

kellermanrivero
7th August 2012, 03:39 AM
I enjoy my rawhide instalation. Two pics :

My instalation running gnome shell

flokip
12th August 2012, 11:34 AM
I dit a upgrade to rawhide. Used yum update --skip-broken --nogpgcheck to update.
Reboot stared in shell. startx worked to run GUI.
There was no sound.
Now F18 wont boot.

errorxp
14th September 2012, 03:53 PM
I can't get cinnamon to install in f18. Too bad cos I really don't like any other DE out there.

[root@localhost user]# yum install cinnamon
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* fedora: mirrors.linux.edu.lv
* updates: www.nic.funet.fi
* updates-testing: www.nic.funet.fi
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package cinnamon.i686 0:1.5.2-8.fc18 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: muffin(x86-32) >= 1.0.5 for package: cinnamon-1.5.2-8.fc18.i686
--> Processing Dependency: libmuffin.so.0 for package: cinnamon-1.5.2-8.fc18.i686
--> Processing Dependency: libcogl.so.9 for package: cinnamon-1.5.2-8.fc18.i686
--> Processing Dependency: dbus-python for package: cinnamon-1.5.2-8.fc18.i686
--> Running transaction check
---> Package cinnamon.i686 0:1.5.2-8.fc18 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: libcogl.so.9 for package: cinnamon-1.5.2-8.fc18.i686
---> Package dbus-python.i686 0:1.1.1-1.fc18 will be installed
---> Package muffin.i686 0:1.0.6-3.fc18 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: libcogl.so.9 for package: muffin-1.0.6-3.fc18.i686
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: cinnamon-1.5.2-8.fc18.i686 (updates-testing)
Requires: libcogl.so.9
Available: cogl-1.10.4-2.fc18.i686 (fedora)
libcogl.so.9
Installed: cogl-1.11.4-1.fc18.i686 (@updates-testing)
Not found
Error: Package: muffin-1.0.6-3.fc18.i686 (fedora)
Requires: libcogl.so.9
Available: cogl-1.10.4-2.fc18.i686 (fedora)
libcogl.so.9
Installed: cogl-1.11.4-1.fc18.i686 (@updates-testing)
Not found
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

nonamedotc
14th September 2012, 04:24 PM
See this - http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=284017

In particular, this - http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1602233&postcount=4

hadrons123
14th September 2012, 05:02 PM
Leigh's packages have already reached the repos. One has to do a

yum clean all -y && yum install cinnamon -y

errorxp
14th September 2012, 05:26 PM
The rpm-s in the post are for 64 bit, I have x86 arch in virtualbox.
Anyway the ones in the repo seem newer but I still get the same dependency error after running yum clean.
Nothing more to do than wait i guess

hadrons123
14th September 2012, 05:43 PM
The mirrors has to catch up.

Yellowman
14th September 2012, 06:12 PM
Anyway the ones in the repo seem newer but I still get the same dependency error after running yum clean.

I haven't pushed cinnamon-1.5.8 yet, I was going to wait till Monday/Tuesday (planned 1.6.0 release day) as I'm waiting (The slip has made koji totally useless) for the cogl and clutter bit's for F18.

dcharlespyle
15th September 2012, 01:37 AM
Do you have the cogl-1.10.4-2.fc18.i686 package installed?

Run: rpm -qa | grep cogl

You should see something like the following:

$ rpm -qa|grep cogl
cogl-1.10.4-2.fc18.i686
cogl-devel-1.10.4-2.fc18.i686

If you don't have it, install it: sudo yum install cogl cogl-devel

hadrons123
15th September 2012, 05:45 AM
I have the new cogl and its works fine with cinnamon1.5.2Installed Packages
Name : cinnamon
Arch : x86_64
Version : 1.5.2
Release : 8.fc18
Size : 5.0 M
Repo : installed
From repo : updates-testing
Summary : Window management and application launching for GNOME
URL : http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com
License : GPLv2+
Description : Cinnamon is a Linux desktop which provides advanced
: innovative features and a traditional user experience.
:
: The desktop layout is similar to Gnome 2.
: The underlying technology is forked from Gnome Shell.
: The emphasis is put on making users feel at home and providing
: them with an easy to use and comfortable desktop experience.

[cow@localhost ~]$ rpm -qi cinnamon
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Fri 14 Sep 2012 01:06:30 AM EDT
Group : User Interface/Desktops
Size : 5192634
Signature : RSA/SHA256, Thu 23 Aug 2012 11:09:55 AM EDT, Key ID ff01125cde7f38bd
Source RPM : cinnamon-1.5.2-8.fc18.src.rpm
Build Date : Thu 23 Aug 2012 06:59:16 AM EDT
Build Host : buildvm-02.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager : Fedora Project
Vendor : Fedora Project
Description :
Cinnamon is a Linux desktop which provides advanced
innovative features and a traditional user experience.

The desktop layout is similar to Gnome 2.
The underlying technology is forked from Gnome Shell.
The emphasis is put on making users feel at home and providing
them with an easy to use and comfortable desktop experience.
[cow@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep cogl
cogl-1.11.4-1.fc18.x86_64
cogl-1.10.4-2.fc18.x86_64
[cow@localhost ~]$

Yellowman
15th September 2012, 08:25 AM
I have the new cogl and its works fine with cinnamon1.5.2Installed Packages
Arch : x86_64
Size : 5.0 M
Repo : installed
From repo : updates-testing
Description : Cinnamon is a Linux desktop which provides advanced
: innovative features and a traditional user experience.
:
: The desktop layout is similar to Gnome 2.
: The underlying technology is forked from Gnome Shell.
: The emphasis is put on making users feel at home and providing
: them with an easy to use and comfortable desktop experience.

[cow@localhost ~]$ rpm -qi cinnamon
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Fri 14 Sep 2012 01:06:30 AM EDT
Group : User Interface/Desktops
Size : 5192634
Signature : RSA/SHA256, Thu 23 Aug 2012 11:09:55 AM EDT, Key ID ff01125cde7f38bd
Source RPM : cinnamon-1.5.2-8.fc18.src.rpm
Build Date : Thu 23 Aug 2012 06:59:16 AM EDT
Build Host : buildvm-02.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager : Fedora Project
Vendor : Fedora Project
Description :
Cinnamon is a Linux desktop which provides advanced
innovative features and a traditional user experience.

The desktop layout is similar to Gnome 2.
The underlying technology is forked from Gnome Shell.
The emphasis is put on making users feel at home and providing
them with an easy to use and comfortable desktop experience.
[cow@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep cogl
[cow@localhost ~]$

You have the old cogl version installed as well

muffin needed fixing to build with the new cogl version

https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/commit/333043ac70f6ef3b3e7d724c79e749436805a982

and for cinnamon

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/commit/4e56ae1

dcharlespyle
15th September 2012, 03:19 PM
...[cow@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep cogl
[cow@localhost ~]$
[/code]

# package-cleanup --dupes
# package-cleanup --cleandupes

Yellowman
17th September 2012, 07:07 PM

Try my latest rawhide packages, they should work fine on F18

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=354839

and you will need the latest muffin

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=354812

errorxp
19th September 2012, 04:21 PM
Try my latest rawhide packages, they should work fine on F18

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=354839

and you will need the latest muffin

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=354812

Yes, nice work :D

http://i48.tinypic.com/28a6vpv.png

Coldbeer
25th September 2012, 10:02 AM
Hey all, noob question, is rawhide usable for every day laptop?, and I can install the latest nvidia drivers from rpmfusion?.

Thanks.

Enviado desde mi GT-S5830 usando Tapatalk 2

Yellowman
25th September 2012, 11:36 AM
Hey all, noob question, is rawhide usable for every day laptop?, and I can install the latest nvidia drivers from rpmfusion?.

Thanks.

Enviado desde mi GT-S5830 usando Tapatalk 2

This thread is about F18 incoming not rawhide!!

question, is rawhide usable for every day laptop?

No

I can install the latest nvidia drivers from rpmfusion?

Sometimes.

P.S The forum admins have screwed up the change over to F18 development IMO as they should have copied the rawhide subforum there and started again.

Dan
25th September 2012, 01:08 PM
Dang. And here I thought I was doing well just to remember to do it at all.

<..;)..>

Yellowman
25th September 2012, 01:33 PM
Dang. And here I thought I was doing well just to remember to do it at all.

<..;)..>

:)................

Apostate
27th September 2012, 11:34 AM
Just tried a nightly xfce live cd. Went to install in to a partition with anaconda but there was no way to see which partition it was going to use and I very much formed the impression it was going to wipe my entire hard drive!

AdamW
27th September 2012, 07:38 PM
nightlies are F18 not rawhide.

yes, right now that's what it would do. see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F18_bugs#this-installer-kills-disks . this will be changed before beta.

dcharlespyle
27th September 2012, 07:52 PM
Just download the most up-to-date Fedora 17 network installer and use it if you want to be safer about it. You won't be able to upgrade that way. You also will need to change the repositories during install from 17 to 18. Do that in all the repositories and install away.

You can do something similar by changing the repositories to rawhide to get actual rawhide installed.

You might have noticed that I am posting this using Windows 7. My 18-alpha installation is crashing all over the place since the last round of updates. I should have things sorted out again and be back in Linux sometime this evening. Too much work to do to have a system that crashes every few minutes.

AdamW
28th September 2012, 10:07 PM
dcharlespyle: that's likely due to pango. 1.32.0-1.fc18 is known broken and causing crashes of all sorts of stuff. grab 1.32.1-1.fc18.

DBelton
29th September 2012, 01:28 AM
Now that is interesting. I started having all kinds of crashes after it updated to 1.32.1-1 :( Not sure if it's due to the update to pango, or if it's something else, though.

Edit:

I found my problem. It was due to a typo on my part.

But I am having a problem here. For some reason I can't get virtual consoles anymore. Hit ctrl-alt-F2, and I just get a blinking cursor on a black screen. no login prompt.

errorxp
27th October 2012, 07:07 PM
I have just done a rawhide netinstall (minimal) and installed the following packages to get graphical going:
#yum install cinnamon nano gdm xorg-x11-drv-evdev xorg-x11-drv-vesa dejavu-sans-fonts dejavu-sans-mono-fonts dejavu-serif-fonts mesa-dri-drivers alsa-firmware

#ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target

#systemctl enable --force gdm.service

It works but I can't see computer icons on the desktop although the check boxes are ticked in cinnamon settings. Is there some package missing or can I edit something to make it work?

Yellowman
27th October 2012, 07:15 PM
I have just done a rawhide netinstall (minimal) and installed the following packages to get graphical going:

It works but I can't see computer icons on the desktop although the check boxes are ticked in cinnamon settings. Is there some package missing or can I edit something to make it work?

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true

also run

yum install @cinnamon-desktop

errorxp
27th October 2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks, it works now.

Asuncion Travel Photos - Campo Grande Travel Photos on Instagram - Iran Travel Photos -