PDA

View Full Version : F17 update or fresh.....

spacin
23rd April 2012, 07:41 PM
that is the question....

i did an update install on my laptop, and it worked out, weird white fonts on white backgrounds and well kernel panic on restarts.

so its getting a fresh install of f17_64

now this machine, is my main everything box. update would be optimal so i dont have issues with loosing everything or whatnots.....

whats everyone's insight or experiences?

:confused:

glennzo
23rd April 2012, 07:59 PM
How about an opinion? I'd do a fresh install.

spacin
23rd April 2012, 08:03 PM
i like opinions too :)

BBQdave
23rd April 2012, 08:51 PM
that is the question....a fresh install

Probably puts me in the dinosaur class, but always back up data and do a fresh install.

I have an old eMac that I use as a file server, and routinely back up my notebook (main workstation) to it.
So yeah, fresh install and yum update from your favorite CLI is the way to go :D

lockheed02
23rd April 2012, 08:54 PM
same here. first doing some long over due backup and install fresh. I still can import things I often need. This way at least I do a backup for every new release.
Lockheed

nonamedotc
24th April 2012, 02:56 AM
Same here. I always do a fresh install. To me, it seems like a lot of junk is left behind if upgraded.

diamond_ramsey
24th April 2012, 03:18 AM
that is the question....i did an update install on my laptop, and it worked out, weird white fonts on white backgrounds and well kernel panic on restarts.

so its getting a fresh install of f17_64

now this machine, is my main everything box. update would be optimal so i dont have issues with loosing everything or whatnots.....

whats everyone's insight or experiences?...

As others would say, "Fresh Install" of Fedora 17 x64.

* Since Fedora 17 is pseudo Beta, are you comfortable with that?

or

* Would a Fedora 16 x64 be okay?

Looking for your input on why you chose Fedora 17 versus Fedora 16.

jff
25th April 2012, 07:48 AM
I have done update (using supported method) as haven't issues with it with last few Fedora releases.
If you are upgrading from the previous version, then don't see sense do fresh OS install twice a year.
If you have lot of configuations and installed other applications, you have to do that work again and again.
Have waited at least two weeks after gold released to ensure it's stable enough to be upgraded.

Sogcho Travel Photos - Kitami Travel Photos on Instagram - Hanyu