PDA

View Full Version : Configure xorg.conf to us onboard graphics card with both vga and dvi outputs

Zombie8
9th April 2012, 03:00 PM
If anyone has a similar situation and would not mind posting their working xorg.conf configurations that would be very helpful.

I am thinking I have the monitor and screen sections setup correctly, now I just need to setup the device section properly as well. Right now I just have one device listed in the "device" section, but I am wondering if I should have two, and each one specifies a different PCI bus-id? Or maybe i have one but specify the two outputs somehow.

Thanks everyone for your help!

george_toolan
9th April 2012, 04:19 PM
What exactly are you trying to do?

Which graphics chip do you have?

If you only want to use one monitor you just have to plug it in ;-)

Zombie8
9th April 2012, 04:44 PM
I have two monitors and an nvidia 8200 onboard chipset (on the motherboard). The output from the chipset can be vga, dvi, and hdmi. I would like to setup my xorg.conf file to output to the vga and the dvi device. I need examples of folks being able to do this with similar setups, or any advanced knowledge people have about the configuration file and what I should place in it.

Currently I have output from the dvi, but nothing from the vga. Would like to get both to work, even a clone situation would be good enough.

Sorry for my confusing first post, I realized it was worded poorly after the fact.

george_toolan
9th April 2012, 05:19 PM
Did you install the nvidia proprietary drivers from rpmfusion?

They should include a program called "NVIDIA X Server Settings" which allows you to configure your dual screen setup.

Zombie8
9th April 2012, 07:47 PM
I have tried the proprietary driver from rpmfusion and also the nvidia configuration tool and it just has not seemed to work properly. I was hoping to look at other folks config files and see if there is something I can try out instead.

george_toolan
10th April 2012, 11:38 AM
Shouldn't be difficult to find. Try http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/Dual_Monitors/Nvidia

Prunedale - Derby Photos - Elmina Travel Photos