PDA

View Full Version : Sound in run level 3

wagner17
5th March 2012, 08:51 AM
Is enable else able to get sound in the GUI when they boot into run level 3 and then launch the GUI using startx? I get sound in the console session or in the GUI if boot in runlevel 5. Same thing happens in F16, see Bug 751902 (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=751902). Installed 32-bit KDE in case that makes a difference.

smr54
5th March 2012, 02:42 PM
Yes I did. In F16, I remember it being problematic though. I believe I had to make sure that I was a member of the audio group and remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio--aside from that, I don't remember doing anything special.

wagner17
5th March 2012, 02:51 PM
That's a workaround not a solution:
1) You didn't have to do this workaround in F15.
2) You don't have to do this workaround when booting into runlevel 5.

To further clarify, if you boot into run level 3 and do startx, then KDE uses the "Dummy Output" plugin. However, if I switch back to the console session during KDE start up then KDE will pick up the sound card and play sound as long as I am in the console session. So I can start up a GUI music app hit play and I will only get sound if I switch to the console session. In this setup, by default KDE will play a sound file when exiting however you will not be able to exit KDE until you switch to the console session to let the sound play.

Something isn't quite working right but I have no clue what that it might be or how to go about debugging it.

AdamW
5th March 2012, 09:52 PM
this is probably related to the ConsoleKit removal.

does the same thing work with GNOME rather than KDE?

If you do 'yum install ConsoleKit' does it start working?

wagner17
5th March 2012, 11:58 PM
I have ConsoleKit-0.4.5-2 installed and it still did not work. It's a permission issue I don't think Gnome vs KDE makes a difference. As mentioned in the bug report that was filed against Fedora 16, it's a permission issue on /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c. In run level 5 boot, the permission are set so that the logged in user's id has rw permission, in run level 3 they are not.

wagner17
8th March 2012, 10:58 PM
Is there a way to update the bug report for F16 to say that it also affects F17 or do I need to file a new bug report?

tox
8th March 2012, 11:28 PM
Is there a way to update the bug report for F16 to say that it also affects F17 or do I need to file a new bug report?

just re-open the previous one you made an file it in that report

New Bedford Travel Photos on Instagram - Almaty - Carrollwood