PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet printer install

greenstar
29th February 2012, 09:15 PM
Hi, I seem to be getting on well with my Fedora set up, except that one vital element hasn't happened - the printer isn't found! I have a Xerox Phaser 3400 on ethernet. I've used the printer utility and it's found and installed a more recent usb printer, which unfortatley is faulty (new crap, my old laserjet works fine, thrown out, my bubblejet last year cost me 50, used occasionally, and just out of guarantee - installed fot the scanner). Ethernet working fine, have internet access. Xerox works fine on my mac. I'm sorry folks, but my skill with the command line is limited, and please don't suggest I get a newer printer - I'm living on 60 a week! And the xerox is adequate for normal use. I bought that danged colour printer for the rest.
Thanks,
Tony

David Batson
1st March 2012, 12:17 AM
I used the printer utility to setup the firewall to allow access my network printer although I am sure there are other ways to do it. Check that the avahi daemon is running for network printer discovery.

http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenris02/zero-configuration-networking-avahi

greenstar
2nd March 2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks for your response. I did use the printer utility, seemed to work, asked a question about the firewall, but no printer installed. Sorry, have no idea what a demon is or how to check if it's running. Are these things obvious?

Cheers,
Tony

David Batson
3rd March 2012, 01:39 AM
Try the following in terminal:

ps -ef | grep avahi-daemon

Does that show the avahi daemon running?

Okaya Instagram Photos - Huatusco de Chicuellar Travel Photos on Instagram - Hadyach