PDA

View Full Version : gnome 3 how to turn off the top left mouse hot corner

oystercatcher
27th February 2012, 09:30 PM
https://extensions.gnome.org/ -- for a lot of other gnome shell extensions

From the gnome shell cheat sheet
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Switching to and from the overview

Hot corner - moving the mouse pointer to the top left corner of the screen will take you to the overview or back to the desktop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since applications particularly vim always start in the top left corner
I was constantly triggering the hot corner accidently. I looked around and found
this hack on a unbuntu forum.

For 11.10

edit file /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/layout.js Find this code:

this._corner = new Clutter.Rectangle({ name: 'hot-corner',
width: 1,
height: 1,
opacity: 0,
reactive: true });

Change reactive: true to reactive: false and it will disable the hot corner but still allow to activate the overview screen by clicking the Activities button or by pressing the Super (Windows) key.

lenticular
22nd August 2012, 05:03 AM
Here is a funny follow-up.

My F16 system crashed when it attempted to start Gnome today ("Oh no"). I was looking at logs, booting from LiveCDs, and everything checked out. I was downloading F17, figuring that a reinstall was required, when I looked at /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log and saw that it was reporting a syntax error in layout.js. Yep, I had deleted a comma when making the modification, and even forgotten that I had made a modification. Easy fix that left me feeling both dumb and smart.

noloader
2nd January 2014, 11:35 AM
edit file /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/layout.js Find this code:

this._corner = new Clutter.Rectangle({ name: 'hot-corner',
width: 1,
height: 1,
opacity: 0,
reactive: true });

Change reactive: true to reactive: false and it will disable the hot corner but still allow to activate the overview screen by clicking the Activities button or by pressing the Super (Windows) key.

I wish I could upvote you. Thanks a million for helping fix another Gnome annoyance.