PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready to be sold?

Wayne
4th February 2012, 03:48 AM
3 Ways Facebook Plans to Exploit Users

http://is.gd/qkppW2

Not sure how long I'll keep my account. I've already deleted every photo I posted, as well as my profile picture...

DBelton
4th February 2012, 03:57 AM
That explains somewhat why they just made timeline mandatory instead of optional like they did after all of the user complaints awhile back.

It also reminds me as to why I never created a facebook account, too.

tox
4th February 2012, 03:58 AM
i will eventually delete all my photo's an prolly move full time over to twitter .

Wayne
4th February 2012, 04:02 AM
Wondering if Google+ will gain ground once FB's new policies and 'features' start to be implemented fully...

tox
4th February 2012, 04:05 AM
im pretty sure G+ will gain in popularity after FB fully implement this timeline crap and other features users loathe.

DBelton
4th February 2012, 04:06 AM
Don't really know if twitter or google+ are really any better than facebook.

But then again, people are forgetting rule 1 of the internet...

Don't put ANYTHING on the internet that you don't want EVERYBODY to know.

tox
4th February 2012, 04:10 AM
Don't really know if twitter or google+ are really any better than facebook.

But then again, people are forgetting rule 1 of the internet...

Don't put ANYTHING on the internet that you don't want EVERYBODY to know .
i always use email when i wanna chat to my sister instead of FB

Wayne
4th February 2012, 04:23 AM
I really only joined FB because my son is away studying engineering at uni and he posts some really nice photos. Once you join though, everyone and his dog wants to 'friend' you. I've kept it to beer lovers I actually know here and a couple of old friends...

Iron_Mike
4th February 2012, 04:33 AM
But I stand to make a butt load of cash....

tox
4th February 2012, 04:38 AM
But I stand to make a butt load of cash....

it could always backfire and the Public price eventually drop like it did with Telstra eventually ( Telstra is Aussies biggest telco company )

DBelton
4th February 2012, 05:54 AM
Well, since the bottom is getting ready to fall out of wall street, I would say that you stand to lose a butt load of cash instead of making it.

marriedto51
4th February 2012, 09:09 AM
Don't put ANYTHING on the internet that you don't want EVERYBODY to know.

This is the nub, I think.

I heard a good line on the radio recently -- fairly sure it was Sandi Toksvig: "I was going to join Facebook but then I realized it was easier just to stand in my local supermarket with a megaphone".

roelj
4th February 2012, 03:38 PM
What's the problem anyway? We as in "the vast majority" give up our freedom for features anyway..
Your iPhone or your Android phone also logs anything that's worth for Apple or Google.

The problem is not Facebook. The problem is the people who would ever develop anything for Facebook, empoyee or not. It's just like software developers signing NDAs and compiling their stuff with GCC..

Fenrin
4th February 2012, 04:10 PM
http://www.ethannonsequitur.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/facebook-and-you-pigs-450x360.jpg

if you live in the EU, you can demand from facebook, that they send you all the data they have saved about you.

here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvAUqs3Ofg&feature=player_embedded)is a short video about this. Most users here probably know already that facebook saves every data about them...

I personally use no facebook, even as student I can live without it :C Instead of google search, I use either ixquick or scroogle. Amazon is also something I rather try to avoid.

roelj
4th February 2012, 04:16 PM
To get your data you need to provide them with an official identification document. That way they have even more information about you..

Iron_Mike
4th February 2012, 09:26 PM
Well, since the bottom is getting ready to fall out of wall street, I would say that you stand to lose a butt load of cash instead of making it.

Not in for the long haul going to dump it after 5 days.....:D

Dan
4th February 2012, 10:38 PM
Think that'll be long enough? I was thinking more like a month to let it stabilize.

beaker_
4th February 2012, 10:53 PM
I'm not touching it. It's just like your superbowl. Yes you get the odd gem but the game usually sucks. And with all this hype, you know it's gonna end with indifference and disappointment..

nonamedotc
4th February 2012, 11:01 PM
To get your data you need to provide them with an official identification document. That way they have even more information about you..

To get the data that they were not supposed to have "saved" in the first place? Great!