PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ATI Radeon HD3650 on fc16 x86 - help!

aspieman
27th December 2011, 11:53 PM
Has anyone got an ATI Radeon HD3650 or similar running on fc16? I bought this card as I saw a test of it running with Linux but it turned out they were using the proprietry drivers which don't work with fc16.
I have downloaded the mesa drivers
mesa-dri-drivers 7.11.2-1.fc16.i686
mesa-dri-filesystem 7.11.2-1.fc16.i686
To install these, I need dri2proto, which will be installed with
xorg-x11-proto-devel-7.6-12.fc16.src.rpm
This in turn requires some rpm scripts
(compressedfilenames)
(filedigests)
(payloadfileshaveprefix)
(payloadsx2)
and pkgconfig(xextproto) which is installed with another rpm
xorg-x11-proto-devel-7.6-12.fc16.noarch.rpm
There are some other required files which I have searched for on my system and found.

This is all getting very complicated and I'm a bit out of my depth here. I've not been able to get out of fallback mode since installing fc16 – currently running vesa driver. I would really appreciate some help here – am I on the right track? I'm just following the info on mesa3d.org and rpmfind.net

JamesNZ
29th December 2011, 11:38 PM
I've got the exact same card, no issues with the fallback here. Everything just worked OOTB with the mesa drivers.

If you've tried to install the proprietary drivers, then you have to repair mesa:
yum reinstall mesa-libGL

aspieman
31st December 2011, 12:16 AM
I didn't install the proprietary drivers as I had read that they wouldn't work (after I bought the card).
How did you install the mesa drivers? Did you manually install all the files that I have listed or can you do it via yum? I haven't tried installing anything yet as I was waiting to find out the best way to do it.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

I reinstalled mesa-libGL just in case anything had happened, but still in fallback and still on vesa driver.
I got rid of the xorg.conf file and rebooted and my monitor was detected properly but still in fallback, but the driver is now Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe i.e. software rendering and very slow. Put the xorg.conf file back and changed the driver line to "radeon" and rebooted, but no different. How do I get hardware rendering working?

JamesNZ
31st December 2011, 03:46 AM
Erk, thats weird. All the mesa stuff was already there when I installed from the livecd. Only thing I can suggest is to reinstall. Perhaps someone else has some tips?

aspieman
2nd January 2012, 12:03 AM
Ok, so I reinstalled F16 from scratch. This time the GPU was recognised correctly but still using Gallium. The display is ok for now but I still need to get it on to the Mesa DRI R600! Any ideas anyone?

JamesNZ
3rd January 2012, 01:31 AM
Ok, so I reinstalled F16 from scratch. This time the GPU was recognised correctly but still using Gallium. The display is ok for now but I still need to get it on to the Mesa DRI R600! Any ideas anyone?

I could be wrong, but I think gallium is a 3D library that mesa uses. So you probably are already using mesa, it just that fedora doesn't show it.

Could be totally off the bat though ;)

aspieman
3rd January 2012, 10:57 AM
I think you are right... I did a bit of serching on Gallium but the documentation isn't very clear, but it does say it is a hardware and software renderer, so maybe that's it. I ran glxgears and it was rendering smoothly at 60 fps, so unless I read otherwise, I'll leave it at that. Thanks for your help, I'll mark the post as solved.