PDA

View Full Version : wg511 startup

ieuuk
19th November 2004, 06:01 PM
hi, i have a netgear wireless card but the only way i can get it to work on boot up is to have the card removed until it fails because it is not in the system and then push the card in - and then it will work fine.
If i leave the card in the whole computer just hangs and doesnt really work

LinuxStarter
19th November 2004, 08:24 PM
I am sorry, I am a new guy on this forum, that is why I did not to open the new topic.

My problem is quite usual as far as I understand reading internet. I decided to move to Linux from Windows platform, and installed Fedora Core 3 onto my IBM ThinkPad III 600X laptop. First of all I spent a days to realise why my installation is crashing. I have tried all kinds of Linux - MEPIS, Red Hat, Fedora 2 and 3, Mandrake, I tried different medias, different drives, and only after certain installation I got the point - if my wireless card is in the laptop within the installatiion procedure it is crashing or is not completed. Actually Mandrake looked more or less a little better in this respect, at least it allowed me to boot the system, but failed later.

After I plugged a normal hardwired NIC which originaly came with laptop all installations worked fine. I installed Fedora Core 3, and I really like it from interface point, but...

How come, guys, this wireless NIC problem turned to absolute nightmare? I spent a week reading info on internet, and came to conclusion that this is a common problem for everybody and if community will not resolve it in a nice manner Linux simply will not be a competitor because wireless is taking over notebooks.

So my saga started with cvs checkout from sourceforge repository. Complete failure. "make" reports a problems, "make install" fails after that.
So I downloaded RPM for Fedora Core 3. I did not get at all what did it do, but nothing worked, Linux still did not even recognize this card NETGEAR WG511T even thogh I have read about positive stories in somebodyelse cases.

Now I found info that Fedora 3 does not include "vmlinux" and that is why nothing is working...

Could anybody give the clear itemized point for starter how to install this driver on Fedora 3? Or I have to go back to RH 9? Or....? I am new guy for all this Linux problems which I do not quite understand. Small cheap laptop could easily replace Windows 2000 monster and be a DSL firewal/router, DNS and proxy servers in same box and work eternaly, but these problems could wipe all my plans out.

Thanks,

Alex.

megaprogman
19th November 2004, 09:56 PM
Well, I use a WG511, but no, I stick it in around the time cups is starting up, when I leave it on to boot, anaconda tries to configure it, I do not let anaconda do this because its screwed up the config in the past, so I just ignore that. Once I am past anaconda, assuming I just booted with the card in, linux boots normally, no crashing, but it wont start the card until i have ejected and reinserted it. But this is because I leave the whole "start this card when you boot" option unchecked in the network config.

This is my experience with the card, ultimately, it doesnt bother me all that much since im staring at the laptop when I am booting anyway and 90% of the time, I am jacked into a cat5 cable anyway.

This absolutely does not help and I apologize for that. But its my experience with the card.

---

instillation

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21191&highlight=Wg511

ieuuk
20th November 2004, 11:21 PM
Well, I use a WG511, but no, I stick it in around the time cups is starting up, when I leave it on to boot, anaconda tries to configure it, I do not let anaconda do this because its screwed up the config in the past, so I just ignore that. Once I am past anaconda, assuming I just booted with the card in, linux boots normally, no crashing, but it wont start the card until i have ejected and reinserted it. But this is because I leave the whole "start this card when you boot" option unchecked in the network config.

This is my experience with the card, ultimately, it doesnt bother me all that much since im staring at the laptop when I am booting anyway and 90% of the time, I am jacked into a cat5 cable anyway.

This absolutely does not help and I apologize for that. But its my experience with the card.

---

instillation

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21191&highlight=Wg511

Thats alrite - dont worry about it... i was just wondering if there is a way around it but im loosing interest with it now - will move on to play with something else

chili555
5th February 2005, 11:29 PM
Try ifplugd. You can yum this from Dag's repository. Edit the ifplugd.conf file to change INTERFACES="auto" to INTERFACES="eth0 eth1". Start the service with /etc/init.d/ifplugd start. In my FC2 machine, the card gets an IP address on boot AND on hotplug, although under ifcfg-eth1 still says ONBOOT=no.

I have eth0 included because I occasionally hook up to our router via ethernet cable.

ieuuk
6th February 2005, 09:43 AM
somehow my one has managed to fix itself... must have got an update from somewhere because its just started working beautifully

Bishkek Travel Photos on Instagram - Moldova Photos - Douala Photos on Instagram -