PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Nvidia Quadro FX3000 with Fedora 16

baaka
30th November 2011, 06:58 PM
Hello everyone,

I try to find a solution to set up my graphic card (Nvidia Quadro FX 3000) on Fedora 16.

What I've tried before :

Install the Nvidia proprietary driver 173.14.31 after disabling nouveau -> broke fedora

then I've tried to install rpm for fedora 15 but everytime they needs dependancy and that go round in a circle

So I've looked after another driver and founded one on the ATrpm repository (http://packages.atrpms.net/dist/f16/nvidia-graphics-legacy-173.14.xx/) :

nvidia-graphics173.14.31-173.14.31-112.fc16.i686.rpm

I've installed it sucessfully (with yum) but now, my computer didn't startup, he freeze on a text screen and the latest line is :
Started SYSV : Late init script for live image ...

If you have any idea ...

(and sorry for the bad english)

Thanks

PabloTwo
30th November 2011, 08:48 PM
After it hangs, see if you can log in to a console as root by pressing CTRL-ALT-F2 keys together. If you can, then see if nouveau is really killed:
lsmod | grep -e nvidia -e nouveau
Also check if there is an active xorg.conf file, and if so, what driver is configured:
grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Also see if nouveau is blacklisted in the kernel command line:
cat /proc/cmdline
Also look for nouveau blacklist files:
ls /etc/modprobe.d/
See any file with nouveau in it's name? And also do:
grep nouveau /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

baaka
2nd December 2011, 06:46 PM
Hello Pablo two and thak you for your help,

After login in root on a console (Ctl+F2),

There is the result of the command line :

lsmod | grep -e nvidia -e nouveau

return

Nothing

grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf

return

Driver "mouse"

Driver "Kbd"

Driver "nvidia"

cat /proc/cmdline

return

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.1.0-7.fc16.i686 root=UUID=07d19bad-b7ba-4d24-9589-bd00ac90F72e ro single rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 KEYTABLE=fr LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0

ls /etc/modprobe.d/

return

blacklist.conf dist.conf nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf
blacklist.conf dist-oss.conf openwwf.conf
dist-alsa.conf nvidia.conf udlfb.conf

grep nouveau /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

return

blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0

I hope this is helpfull

+++

PabloTwo
2nd December 2011, 07:17 PM
Yes, it is helpful, thank you. It would appear that everything is in place to properly keep the nouveau driver from loading along with the nvidia driver. I notice "blacklist.conf" file shows up twice in your posting, and I'm not sure why (you can't have two files with identical names in the same folder.

I also notice from the kernel command line that you are booted into single user mode (runlevel 1), which means that only the kernel modules and services that are absolutely necessary to run a root console are loaded. In that mode, you probably have the vesa video drive loaded.

I would have expected doing CTRL-ALT-F2 where you're normal boot hangs would have put you into a runlevel 3 shell, which would be much more revealing when using grep to fish for either nouveau and nviidia drivers being loaded. If you selected a "(rescue mode)" mode kernel entry from the grub2 menu to boot, that would explain how to landed in runlevel 1.

I'm now wondering if your default grub2 entry is one of the rescue mode kernels. On the grub2 boot menu, make sure you are selecting an entry that does not have the "(rescue mode)" bit added on at the end of the entry.

From runlevel 1, you could also just try,
telinit 5
and if that fails to get into graphical mode, then CTRL-ALT-F2 when it hangs into, hopefully, runlevel 3.

baaka
2nd December 2011, 10:14 PM
I'm sorry about the twice "blacklist.conf", its a pebkac (the second files was "blacklist.conf~").

But yes I've boot in rescue mode, and no, that is'nt my default entry.

So what should I do ?

leigh123linux
2nd December 2011, 10:33 PM
Hello everyone,

I try to find a solution to set up my graphic card (Nvidia Quadro FX 3000) on Fedora 16.

What I've tried before :

Install the Nvidia proprietary driver 173.14.31 after disabling nouveau -> broke fedora

then I've tried to install rpm for fedora 15 but everytime they needs dependancy and that go round in a circle

So I've looked after another driver and founded one on the ATrpm repository (http://packages.atrpms.net/dist/f16/nvidia-graphics-legacy-173.14.xx/) :

nvidia-graphics173.14.31-173.14.31-112.fc16.i686.rpm

I've installed it sucessfully (with yum) but now, my computer didn't startup, he freeze on a text screen and the latest line is :
Started SYSV : Late init script for live image ...

If you have any idea ...

(and sorry for the bad english)

Thanks

The 173xx driver doesn't support the Xorg ABI in F16 so nouveau is your only option.

baaka
2nd December 2011, 11:48 PM
Oh men ! That's so uncool ...

Nouveau is quite good for displaying basic thing with geforce 5 series / Old quadro FX series but I do some 3D with blender and nouveau didn't use my graphic card to is best for that kind of stuff.

Did you know another distribution, that could work with the nvidia proprietary driver (not Ubuntu, I've already tried it).

Thanks for the answers, fedora community is great :)

Kirikkale - Simpang Empat Photos on Instagram - Ras el Oued Travel Photos on Instagram