PDA

View Full Version : HP printer not recognised

wireman
19th November 2011, 04:28 PM
Hi, new member here, but a long time linux user...

In a fresh install of F16, I can't find the correct driver for my C5180 all-in-one printer. It is supported by hplip, hplip is installed and the printer works fine in other distros.

Why doesn't F16 have the right driver for this printer? In fact, the list of HP drivers seems pretty short overall...:confused:

smr54
19th November 2011, 04:38 PM
If you have hplip installed, you can try installing the printer by using it, instead of Gnome's or Cups' interface.

hp-setup -i <printer_ip_address> will usually find it.

bob
19th November 2011, 04:41 PM
"Search" shows several others using your printer and no special setup's mentioned by them. The Installation Notes show this, which you may have tried:

10.4.7. Your Printer Does Not Work

If you are not sure how to set up your printer or are having trouble getting it to work properly, try using the Printer Configuration Tool.
Type the system-config-printer command at a shell prompt to launch the Printer Configuration Tool. If you are not root, it prompts you for the root password to continue.

Me? I have an HP F4180 all-in-one, just clicked on the Printing icon, then Add and after a quick search, mine popped up. Selected and all's well.

wireman
19th November 2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies...

If you have hplip installed, you can try installing the printer by using it, instead of Gnome's or Cups' interface.

hp-setup -i <printer_ip_address> will usually find it.

'hp-setup' returned 'command not found' either as a user or root...

Bob,
That command just took me back to the same driver selection list that doesn't have my printer :(
Nor does it have the F4180.

After a bit of fiddling I found that the 'hpijs' package needed installing. Once done, there's loads more HP drivers... Printer is installed and working :)

This could well be because I installed from the live CD and so has a minimal set of packages installed.

Creek Side - Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (ARN) Travel Photos on Instagram - Marina of Koper Travel Photos - Te Whiti Park Instagram Photos - Texas State Fair Photos on Instagram