PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] F15 Live CD: Boot Fails; Nouveau EDID error loops

Sapphon
25th October 2011, 01:13 AM
Hi all,

First-time Linux installer and wannabe Fedora user trying to install Fedora from the LiveCD. I've Googled the error and searched on these forums; solutions appear to exist for working installations of the kernel, but I have not seen a case of someone encountering this while booting the LiveCD.

It is worth noting that this problem occurs whether I select "basic" video from the boot options, or a normal boot of the LiveCD. I do not have a USB stick or DVD burner, so the LiveCD is my only installation option.

Hardware:
Gigabyte Z68-series mobo
Intel Core i5 2500k processor
NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS vidcard
4GB Corsair DDR3
LCD monitor connected via VGA->DVI adapter
(Worth noting: Hardware performs perfectly fine in Windows XP whence I type this post.)

The error is below:

[drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DDC responded, but no EDID for DVI-I-2
[drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: No native mode, forcing panel scaling
[drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid, remainder is 139
[drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* Raw EDID:

The error text loops. I cannot determine a key combination that will make it stop trying. In between barfs of the text, I can issue very limited shell commands (ls works, pwd works, cat may work).

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

RalphCC
25th October 2011, 05:09 PM
what happens if you try full video not basic video install?.
your CD may have a fault, did it give you the chance to validate medium at the start of install.
Try that and see what it says.
You can download free burners if you have a rewritable DVD drive.
Ralph.

fpmurphy
25th October 2011, 08:05 PM
The error message is saying that your LCD monitor is returning an invalid EDID (because the checksum is wrong). What happens if you use another monitor?

Sapphon
25th October 2011, 09:15 PM
Gentlemen, thank you for your replies.

Ralph, the OP was probably unclear, but the result is the same on "basic" video and normal install. I've also used the "validate and install" option and the medium appears valid. The iso's checksum was correct prior to my writing it to disc, as well. When I say I don't have a DVD burner, I refer to the piece of hardware.

Fpmurphy, the displays I have access to are this LCD monitor and an HDTV. Connected singly or in parallel, they both appear to generate the same error. I will try to borrow a friend's monitor and test with it.

Questions:
1) Should I try the boot with the "skipddc" argument?
2) Could this have to do with the fact that I've connected an older VGA-connector monitor using a DVI adapter to a DVI port? Is the EDID info being lost in translation there (or never generated?)
3) Can I specify EDID information explicitly somehow in order to bypass the autodetection?

Sapphon
26th October 2011, 02:24 PM
An update: This problem does not seem to be stopping the kernel from booting. There is another problem that was hiding behind the graphical boot screen. I would still like to know how to tell Nouveau about my monitor though, as if I ever get the other problem fixed this will be gosh-darn annoying.

mwesten
26th October 2011, 04:05 PM
Gentlemen, thank you for your replies.

Ralph, the OP was probably unclear, but the result is the same on "basic" video and normal install. I've also used the "validate and install" option and the medium appears valid. The iso's checksum was correct prior to my writing it to disc, as well. When I say I don't have a DVD burner, I refer to the piece of hardware.

Fpmurphy, the displays I have access to are this LCD monitor and an HDTV. Connected singly or in parallel, they both appear to generate the same error. I will try to borrow a friend's monitor and test with it.

Questions:
1) Should I try the boot with the "skipddc" argument?
2) Could this have to do with the fact that I've connected an older VGA-connector monitor using a DVI adapter to a DVI port? Is the EDID info being lost in translation there (or never generated?)
3) Can I specify EDID information explicitly somehow in order to bypass the autodetection?

1) Never heard of "skipddc". You could try "nomodeset", which should get you a low resolution display.
2) It seems that the EDID is present, and getting through, but the driver can't associate it with the DVI output.
3) I believe some drivers allow this, but I don't know if you can do it with nouveau.

eyahn
31st October 2011, 06:26 PM
Hi there guys, just trying to install fedora and i am encountering this same problem. Quite disappointing. Tried a quick search on google, but now i found this post signed "solved" even if no actual solution was given. Am i missing something?

Thanks

E

El Salvador Instagram Photos - Abuja Photos - North York Instagram Photos -