PDA

View Full Version : F15 + Old Intel drivers?

ratdude747
4th June 2011, 03:07 AM
As many know, anybody with intel i8xx graphics cannot run gnome shell in fedora 15.

I am one of those people.

I had an idea.

Since (if i understand correctly) the issues comes from the new intel driver architecture not playing well with the i8xx chips

the issues with the previous drivers was only in the i9xx series if i remember right

I wonder if one could use the old drivers on f15 and make gnome shell work right?

If so, how would one do such?

Seve
4th June 2011, 06:34 AM
I don't see why you couldn't try.

You could look through some of the older releases at the mirror site and see if you could grab an rpm and go that route.
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist

yum localinstall *.rpm

Reboot and see what if anything happens. Your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
should tell you what is being picked up or you may need to add the driver to your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

file

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "XXXXX"
EndSection

ratdude747
5th June 2011, 07:04 AM
uhh... there is no xorg.conf. weird.

swapping the xorg-x11-drv-intel.rpm from the f15 to the f13 (and re-installing f15 xorg-x11-drivers) broke clutter. my guess is the xorg.conf type edit is needed.

help for an xorg dummy?

edit- upgrading the one file back to the f15 version makes clutter run again, the rendering glitches in the shell return.

DBelton
5th June 2011, 06:01 PM
you would need to do more than just change the intel drivers to get the Gnome 3 shell to work since they have blacklisted the intel 8XX series cards and will force fallback mode for them.

There were some that forces Gnome 3 shell to work even on blacklisted cards.. Look at this thread and especially posts # 6 and #7

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=262749

ratdude747
5th June 2011, 09:05 PM
i know it blacklisted, but once in fallback mode, running gnome-shell --replace brings it back up. I see why they black listed it... there are a lot of rendering errors which may be driver related. Mostly text (like calendar numbers) being blocks, not actual characters, with the hardware icons in the upper right disappearing intermittently (unless hovered over by the cursor). ugly? yes. unusable? no.

my goal was to see if running old drivers properly would make the rendering errors go away.

FYI, that thread you linked was my thread too... been there, seen that. hence how i know about gnome-shell --replace.

Verbania - Kotabumi Photos on Instagram - Uva Travel Photos on Instagram