PDA

View Full Version : Curing Windows via Fedora partition

Setarkos
1st June 2011, 05:34 PM
Hi there
My windows 7 system is severely infected and I can't cure it from within itself or safe mode.
I was going to do that with ClamAV but as I am running F12 the current version is not supported.
Do you know an AV client that you could recommend for that purpose.
I don't want to risk upgrading F12 as I don't want to jeopardise my only stable system at the moment.
Hope someone can help me,
thanks

PatMcLJr
1st June 2011, 06:14 PM
I dunno, maybe there is a LiveCD out there with a bunch of that anit virus stuff on it? I think puppy used to have Avast or something like that?

Then you don't need to do anything to your fedora12, does sound like a good tine for s backup ?

Pat Jr.

mitmblues
2nd June 2011, 05:25 PM
You can install on top of the fedora security spin live CD or the USB install likewise.

I don't fancy your chances of cleaning up a Windows install, but good luck anyway. I found viruses installed themselves on the bootsector in addition to everything else, so even if you restore from a backup you need to rewrite the boot sector ('bootrec /???' off the top of my head, can't remember the exact options but two are relevant, run from a recovery shell).

G.

Mariusz W
2nd June 2011, 07:49 PM
You may be able to break the virus vicious circle just by boting Linux, mounting and inspecting your Windows file system for recently created files (especially in C:\Windows\System32 and various temp directories. If you find such files and they look suspicious, then just renaiming them most likely will incapacitate the virus. I found this to be often the quickest path towards getting rid of the virus. No need to bother with any anti-virus programs.

Tornio Photos - Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto Photos on Instagram - Villeneuve-Saint-Georges Photos