PDA

View Full Version : Gnome3 Tweaks & Solutions -- F15 -THESE ARE FOR F15 and may not work with F16

kurtdriver
28th March 2011, 07:03 AM
A lot of the discussion about Gnome 3 is about the defaults. Many people don't seem to understand this, they think for instance, that you can't have minimize or maximize buttons. You can and many other defaults can be changed, too.

Want those buttons? Do

gconftool-2 -s -t string /desktop/gnome/shell/windows/button_layout ":minimize,maximize,close"

Remove from this command any of the three you don't want.

If you want your clock to show the date,

gsettings set org.gnome.shell.clock show-date true

You can also set these in gnome-tweak-tool which is the repos. This will allow a good number of configuration changes. Any more?

Edit: I put this in this category as I thought it should not be archived, provided other people find tweaks to share, when F15 is released.

vallimar
29th March 2011, 04:31 PM
I mentioned a few tweaks already, including the menu one here:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1453006&postcount=19

bob
15th May 2011, 12:47 PM
Okay People, let's use a Guide to help others get the most out of Gnome3. Please highlight your tweak and let's keep the bickering to a minimum, please.

Gnome Shell Extensions: http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html - This tweak gives back a lot of the functionality of Gnome2. It puts your favorite apps in the taskbar, returns a regular menu, multiple workspaces and more! Best of all, you still have the Gnome3 experience by moving your cursor to the top left for the Gnome3 applications icons.

Alacarte ("yum install alacarte") : Now you can modify your menu and create launchers. For instance, I enjoy the game Sauerbraten which isn't in yum, but easily installed from source. Okay, it's a PITA to open a terminal every time I want to play and then type "./sauerbraten_unix". So, with Alacarte, I add a launcher to my Games menu, browse to "sauerbraten_unix" and done (suitable icon added). Now, after the Gnome Shell Extension tweak, I add to Favorites and it's on the task bar.

Poweroff & Reboot: Once again, I don't like the hidden options that can only be displayed by using Alt from the sub-menu. Much too lazy for that! So, again using Alacarte and creating launchers, I simply add icons and type in the commands "poweroff" for one and "reboot" for another. Save to Favorites and with the Gnome Shell Extensions, there's handy one-click buttons on my task bar.

Maximize - Minimize-Close Buttons: Where'd they go? I want those good old right-hand top of app buttons back! Well, it's simple. Just install gnome-tweak-tool and you'll find the app under Accessories > Tweak Advanced Settings. Among other neat tweaks, click on Shell, then select "Arrangement of buttons on title bar" - All. Log out, back in and your buttons are back!

Icons On Your Desktop: Hey, I like clutter and want to see my "computer", "trash can" "home" and other icons right there on my desktop! Okay, with the gnome-tweak-tool, click on File Manager and turn on "have file manager handle the desktop". Now the usual icons are back, plus anything you want to add to Desktop will be in plain view!

And from the crew at Gnome3: https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet The Gnome Shell Cheat Sheet

Okay, that's just a start. Let's see what you can add! :)

Dictator
15th May 2011, 01:06 PM
one (alternative) addition to power off button.

sudo yum install gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menureboot and tadaaaaaa

Rahul Sundaram's Tip: You don't have to reboot for anything. Press Alt+f2, press r and then enter to restart the shell. Your applications won't be killed and changes in the shell will take effect immediately.

* If u 'sudo' then use user's admin priviledges password ; if u 'su' then use root user's priviledges password ;

DokterW
15th May 2011, 02:04 PM
Search Buttons

Want to change the search buttons 'Wikipedia' and/or 'Google'?

You'll find the files located here: /usr/share/gnome-shell/search_providers/

Similar to the format that Firefox uses, but not so similar you can easily to a 'cp'. Just open google.xml and see to it that the new search button has a similar markup as google.xml.

To make any changes you have to be root, so be careful!

Made any changes to gnome-shell?

1. Press alt+f2

2. Enter the character (without apostrophes) 'r'

3. Press 'Enter'

Access Network Connects

1. Press alt+f2

2. Enter (without apostrophes) 'nm-connection-editor'

3. Press 'Enter'

Get online with Mobile Broadband

1. Press alt+f2

2. Enter (without apostrophes) 'nm-connection-editor'

3. Press 'Enter'

4. Select 'Mobile Broadband' and press 'Add'

5. When asked to save setting, after you've clicked 'Finish', tick the box that says 'Connect automatically'

This should hopefully force a Mobile Broadband connection. If you are having problems getting online with Mobile Broadband.

Dangermouse
15th May 2011, 02:07 PM
I already did some tweaks for G3 here that may be of help
http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/gnome-3-extra-tips.html

Here is also a good guide to using G3,
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet
Tip to open up an app in a new workspace, just middle mouse click on it;)

Dan
15th May 2011, 02:12 PM
Some of the more obvious, and some not so much.

1) Need your icons back on your desktop?

yum install gnome-tweak-tool

Then, from that tool, select File Manager, and click it to "On." The trick here is, nautilus doesn't seem to start until you hit the file browser for the first time, so go to Applications, and run startup applications preferences, and add an entry there for nautilus. Just "nautilus" should do it.

2) In the same tool, select "Windows" and you can return roll-up functionality to your windows.

3) To help the real estate issue with the default setup, go to the "Fonts" setting in the same tool, and carefully adjust your text scaling factor. Go easy here! It takes a second for things to work, and you can very easily go way too far before it does.

4) Of course, the clock and calendar tweaks are here too under "Shell."

I'll post this and dig up some more soon, so check back to this post later.

Tired of those clearly unreasonable easements surrounding the titlebar in Adwaita? There's a fix for that! But you're going to have to roll up your sleeves and get a little dirty in a text editor to get it done.

Two ways to do this: In a terminal/GUI mix, or just in a terminal. Pick your poison.

Mixed: Assuming you've already installed nautilus-terminal-open ... right click the desktop (or a browser window if you have not allowed nautilus to handle the desktop as indicated above) and open a terminal. Then ...

su - (provide root password)

nautilus --no-desktop

Then, using the browser window you just opened, drill down to: /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/ and open metacity-theme-3.xml in an editor.

Then edit the appropriate sections as indicated below.

<frame_geometry name="normal" title_scale="medium" rounded_top_left="4" rounded_top_right="4">
<distance name="left_width" value="3" />
<distance name="right_width" value="3" />
<distance name="bottom_height" value="5" />
<distance name="left_titlebar_edge" value="0"/>
<distance name="right_titlebar_edge" value="0"/>
<distance name="title_vertical_pad" value="6"/>
<border name="title_border" left="10" right="10" top="1" bottom="1"/>
<border name="button_border" left="0" right="0" top="1" bottom="3"/>
<aspect_ratio name="button" value="1"/>
</frame_geometry>

And:

<draw_ops name="titlebar_fill_focused_alt">
<gradient type="vertical" x="0" y="0" width="width" height="height">
<color value="#0a0a0a" />
<color value="#fdfdfd" />
<color value="#1a1a1a" />
<!-- <color value="blend/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/gtk:base[NORMAL]/0.6" /> -->
<!-- <color value="gtk:bg[NORMAL]"/> -->
<!-- <color value="blend/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/#000000/0.03" /> -->
<color value="gtk:bg[NORMAL]"/>
</gradient>
</draw_ops>

<!-- dans-experiment-2 -->

<draw_ops name="button_fill"> <!-- button background gradient -->
<gradient type="vertical" x="0" y="0" width="width" height="height-2">
<color value="#ededed" />
<color value="#adadad" />
<color value="#fefefe" />
<!-- <color value="blend/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/gtk:fg[NORMAL]/0.15" />
<color value="blend/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/gtk:fg[NORMAL]/0.21" />
<color value="blend/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/gtk:fg[NORMAL]/0.27" />
<color value="blend/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/gtk:fg[NORMAL]/0.12" /> -->
</gradient>
</draw_ops>

What you end up with is: Window edges that are easier to grab, a thinner title bar across the top, and a radically changed gradient from the original theme. You can see what I've commented out between the <!-- xxx --> tags. I've replaced them with my own brand of insanity. What you do with them is entirely up to you. In short, fiddle with it and have fun. It's fedora. If you break it, you get to keep the pieces.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/picture.php?albumid=218&pictureid=935

A caveat before you get started, though. If you haven't set up a root GUI account to go in and fix stuff after you break it ... you might want to back up the files before you start, and get comfy in a terminal ... just in case. <..:p..>

!

Dictator
15th May 2011, 02:32 PM
thumbs up Dan. i was ready to put the post reply button but u got me with that.

there's an extensive info for the gnome-tweak-tool HERE (http://piecesoflint.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/how-to-tweak-gnome-3-to-your-needs/)

Dangermouse
15th May 2011, 07:53 PM
Shameless bump Dan:D
Couldnt put up with not seeing the workspaces anymore, so have installed avant + awn it has made a massive difference, makes it so more practical for me;) and i actually prefer G3 now!

bob
15th May 2011, 08:03 PM
Ah yeah Dave, that's purty! But, since this is a Guide, maybe a bit more info would be important. Here's what Joe User's gonna do:

[bob@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost bob]# yum install avant
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
adobe-linux-i386 | 951 B 00:00
google-earth | 951 B 00:00
rpmfusion-free-rawhide | 3.3 kB 00:00
rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide | 3.3 kB 00:00
Setting up Install Process
No package avant available.
Error: Nothing to do
[root@localhost bob]# yum install awn
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
No package awn available.
Error: Nothing to doAw shoot! Dave's off doing important stuff. Well, let's give some info here until he returns and does it better:
yum install avant-window-navigator awn-extras-appletsThat will get things started. Now, test it by opening a terminal and launch it: "avant-window-navigator" should do that.
Then, let's get it into the start-up: Click on the avant-window-navigator icon and play with the many options. Down at the bottom, under General, there's "start Awn automatically". That does it! Reboot and test.

molossus
17th May 2011, 06:58 PM
to get all 3 buttons and not just the close button on gnome shell install:

to find this tool type tweak on the search bar
then you can set it to show all 3 buttons and other gnome settings.

Dangermouse
19th May 2011, 10:38 AM
I have wrote a small guide to change the login background (gdm) here

This is how to change the login (gdm) background in G3, some what of a pain but heres how i did it.
The picture you want as background should be in /usr/share/backgrounds

su - Now enter these commands
su - gdm -s /bin/bash
dbus-launch and you will get an output similar to below (yours will be different numbers etc..)
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-ULWxloZAzI,guid=e19ddee8bb144a23eb550ba6000005d4
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=4347
Now re-enter the output putting export in front of it like below again your output will be different to mine

export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-ULWxloZAzI,guid=e19ddee8bb144a23eb550ba6000005d4
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=4347 Now to actually change the background, substituting the path to your picture
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/backgrounds/dangermouse/010.jpg"

Now when you restart/logout the login background should of changed..

http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/gnome-3-extra-tips/188-change-login-background.html

Dangermouse
19th May 2011, 11:44 AM
Difficulty resizing windows:rolleyes:

If like me you have diffuculty resizing windows, heres how to make it easier

su -
gedit /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml (or what theme you are using)

now find these lines and change 1,1,2, to 3,3,5or what size suits you best.

<frame_geometry name="normal" title_scale="medium" rounded_top_left="4" rounded_top_right="4">
<distance name="title_vertical_pad" value="0"/>
</frame_geometry>
Now refresh (alt+f2 'r' enter) or restart

Resize the Massive Titlebar gnome 3

This is how to change the size, you may want to play around to get your ideal size
su -
sed -i "/title_vertical_pad/s/value=\"[0-9]\{1,2\}\"/value=\"0\"/g" /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml
Now press Alt+F2 then 'r' and enter to refresh or restart comp..

Dangermouse
20th May 2011, 08:49 PM
Heres another very rough guide to change shell themes etc.. (plus themes)

http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/gnome-3-extra-tips/186-change-themes.html
http://half-left.deviantart.com/

beavenburt
24th May 2011, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread but in fallback mode you can drag desktop items onto the panel to create launchers.

quimkaos
25th May 2011, 02:51 PM

1) Need your icons back on your desktop?

Then, from that tool, select File Manager, and click it to "On." The trick here is, nautilus doesn't seem to start until you hit the file browser for the first time, so go to Applications, and run startup applications preferences, and add an entry there for nautilus. Just "nautilus" should do it.

!

I don't have startup applications preferences under applications (nor under any other place)

how can i get it or is there any alternative method?

Smoking Tux
25th May 2011, 03:03 PM
alt+f2 -> gnome-session-properties -> enter

bob
25th May 2011, 03:16 PM
And, after using Smoking Tux's suggestion, why not use Alacarte and make a menu item "StartUP Apps" under System Tools (grab a purty Icon to have it show up nice-nice) ;) So, now you've got it Gui-Style!

supper
28th May 2011, 10:03 PM
Mainly the default is pretty good for me. I didn't like the idea i had to log out in order to reboot or shut down until I learned that clicking your name and holding the alt button turns the suspend button into a power off button. I like this.

But with the default I like having more control over the theme, so I used the instructions here:

http://gnome-shell.deviantart.com/gallery/28081982#/d36szax

I also wanted two more things. I wanted another dock so I could have another place to add icons. So I am using Cairo. I thought about using tint2 but it wasn't what I needed and was to much like a Gnome 2 feel. I also wanted a weather app which comes with Cairo.

Over all that is all I did. I also used the Nvidia drivers rather then Neavou since it was buggy and freezing periodically with VLC and logging out. I am sure there would have been other issues from what I have been reading.

I used these instructions that where for Fedora 14 but still work:

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/fedora-14-nvidia-drivers-install-guide-disable-nouveau-driver/

And thats all that I did other then some small tweaks and installing some programs I like rather then some of the default ones that come with Fedora/Gnome 3.

I really do like the way it is set up and the feel of it. This is very surprising to me. i really though I would be going to XFCE or even KDE. But I have been able to do what I want with it and everything is now pretty much the way I want and running smoothly and stable.

Culinax
31st May 2011, 10:31 PM
any one got working any gtk3 theme?

how to make it show in gnome tweak tool?... just adding it to "themes" folder wont work..

I've added the whole theme folder to /usr/share/themes/
In the folder of the downloaded theme there should be a folder called gtk-2.0 and/or gtk-3.0 (there might be others too, such as gnome-shell or metacity-1).
Open Gnome Tweak Tool, Interface. The name of your theme should be automatically added in the list.

If it doesn't work, try to move your theme's folder to ~/.themes
But then it's only available for you, not the other users of your computer.

I hope this helped.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

I've already found some very good tweaks here, thank you very much for that.

I've also found some by myself.

----------
Yesterday I found a site with a lot of good tweaks: WebUpd8 (http://www.webupd8.org/search/label/gnome%20shell?max-results=10)
It gets updated daily so new extensions are still coming.

My personal favorites:
Weather Extensions (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/gnome-shell-weather-extension.html): It displays the weather next to the clock.
Media Player Extension, removing Accessibility icon (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/more-gnome-shell-extensions-mediaplayer.html): Add/remove this to/from the top bar.
Mailnag (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/mailnag-email-notifier-for-gnome-shell.html): An email notifier. A good replacement for "FireTray".

There are others too, such as: displaying workspaces in top bar, a very easy theme selector (not very useful because the default theme is the best theme I've ever seen on any OS), a system monitor in top bar...

----------

Someone might have already posted this once, but there are some useful tweaks here too: Gnome Shell Extensions (https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Extensions)
Alternative Status Menu for example is a very useful one.
You can install them in terminal with this command:
su -c 'yum install gnome-shell-extensions-<name-of-extension>'

----------

For the people who don't like Gnome Shell that much, then this (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/new-gnome-shell-extensions-that-provide.html) is something for you.
It's a pack that provides a Gnome 2 like user experience in Gnome Shell by moving the clock to the right, adding shortcuts for apps on the top bar, replaces "Activities" with the Applications menu, you can choose a predefined amount of workspaces.
They can be installed separate according to the author.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

How to change the delete key.

For some reason they have changed the delete key to Control + Delete (to prevent deleting things by accident I guess [did they ever heard of a folder called trash?])

So here's how to change it:
Open your terminal and type this in normal (!!) mode (don't use root).
$ dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/interface/can-change-accels true
Then open "Files", click on a random folder, then click on edit and hover your mouse over "Delete", then press your delete key twice slowly (first to tell it that you'll change its key ["Delete + Del" next to "Move to Trash" disappears], then to tell it it has to be the delete key )
Then go back to your terminal and type this:
[I]$ dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/interface/can-change-accels false

The reason why you shouldn't use root is because you'll change that key in root folders only and it wouldn't affect normal usage of Nautilus. You can change it there too if you want, but if you would delete something by accident, the consequences can be very bad.

Credits go to a forgotten source. (I've read it somewhere but I don't know anymore where it exactly was)

bob
1st June 2011, 02:17 PM
Not sure if this has been linked before, but it's worth repeating: http://fedorasolved.org/Members/bookwar/gnome-3-tips

Dan
1st June 2011, 07:49 PM
Well, thanks to Mr Murphy, one of my desires with Gnome-Shell is now a reality.

We now have available a "hot corner" on the upper right, just above the workspace switcher. (http://www.fpmurphy.com/gnome-shell-extensions/) Love it! Although I've probably done myself a dis-service by asking for it. Running that mouse all over the screen was about all the exercise I get these days .. along with jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running my mouth and wantonly slinging poo.

<..:p..>

Thanks again Finn.

Culinax
2nd June 2011, 07:02 PM
i tried moving the themes to both of this folder and it wont show in tweak-tool, it only show the default five.

i guess i will have to replace one of this.

I have just reinstalled Fedora because all those tweaks were slowing my laptop down.

And then I had the same problem as you did, those GTK themes didn't show up in Gnome Tweak Tool for some reason.

But I solved it by creating a folder in /usr/share/themes manually and then I copied all the folders that were in the original folder of the theme (gtk-2.0, gtk-3.0 and metacity-1) and pasted them into the folder I created manually. Then I deleted the original folder.
Then it suddenly showed up in Gnome Tweak Tool.

I really don't know why it doesn't show it otherwise...

Vector
3rd June 2011, 12:48 PM
Ah yeah Dave, that's purty! But, since this is a Guide, maybe a bit more info would be important. Here's what Joe User's gonna do...
HA! Call me "Joe User", because that's EXACTLY what i did :D. I was going to ASK him how he did that, but seen your post :D.

My 1.2 cents:
Some of the "missing applications" can be found in the new menu again (like the "startup applications on login") by installing alacarte, and then re-checking their boxes on the menu editor.

NCCarlos
3rd June 2011, 04:04 PM
Switching between desktops used to be ctrl+alt+left or +right.

It's now ctrl+alt+up or+down in G3.

siwelchungster
5th June 2011, 11:47 AM
The default animation time for all the animation tweens in gnome-shell is 0.2 or 0.25. This is really quick, and for some machines results in it looking unnatural and jerky, slowing this down to around 0.4 will make it feel more fluid and natural.

To do this, navigate to /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/

Open up the respective .js files of elements you want to change the animaion times for and look for the
const variable that determines the time. Feel free to change this to whatever you want. (0.4 works the best for me in overview.js, boxpointer.js, workspace*.js, etc)

st2000
5th June 2011, 06:19 PM
Hi...
Didn't find this anywhere so I thought I'd post it here:

Plenty of people have a hard time finding how to control sloppy focus or focus follows mouse when using fedora's defalut windowing environment. I'm not going to defend that. I think it is harder than it shoule be too! This is what I had to do after a new / clean Fedora 15 install (that's right, the tools to make the change are not even installed by default)...

1. install:
yum install gconf-editor

2. run:
gconf-editor

3. do this:
Inside of the "gconf-editor" pop up go to /apps/metacity/general. NOTE!!!! This IS NOT a directory path!!! This is the way "gconf-editor" organizes stuff inside of its self. In the right side of the "gconf-editor" pop up find the line for "focus_mode". Double click on this and change the Value to "sloppy".

I don't know why this isn't upthere in a easy to access pop up like mouse-double-click-speed and the like.

-good luck

COKEDUDE
7th June 2011, 01:27 AM
I thought this was a nice list of what to do after installing Fedora 15.

http://www.khattam.info/things-to-do-after-installing-fedora-15-2011-06-01.html

(Good info - merged to the main Tweaks & Solutions thread. Bob)

schrja
11th June 2011, 04:39 AM

Then, using the browser window you just opened, drill down to: /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/ and open metacity-theme-3.xml in an editor.

Then edit the appropriate sections as indicated below.

And:

What you end up with is: Window edges that are easier to grab, a thinner title bar across the top, and a radically changed gradient from the original theme. You can see what I've commented out between the <!-- xxx --> tags. I've replaced them with my own brand of insanity. What you do with them is entirely up to you. In short, fiddle with it and have fun. It's fedora. If you break it, you get to keep the pieces.

!

Ok, I have found other info on the net that said the same. I tried it an nothing changed. I could include the contents of my /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml file but it would be big. The following is what I think the relevant contents are:

<border name="title_border" left="10" right="10" top="1" bottom="0"/>
<border name="button_border" left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0"/>
</frame_geometry>

I still have the fat title bar and thin borders. Any ideas why nothing changes. Yes I have logged in and out many times.

John.

pilotferdi
11th June 2011, 07:05 PM

What you end up with is: Window edges that are easier to grab, a thinner title bar across the top, and a radically changed gradient from the original theme.

I might add that, if you don't want to revert to big buttons when you maximize the window, you may also want to change the following section:

Quote:

<frame_geometry name="max" title_scale="medium" parent="normal" rounded_top_left="false" rounded_top_right="false">
<distance name="left_width" value="0" />
<distance name="right_width" value="0" />
<distance name="title_vertical_pad" value="5"/> <!--
This needs to be 1 less then the
title_vertical_pad on normal state
or you'll have bigger buttons -->
<distance name="bottom_height" value="0" />
</frame_geometry>

Then, again, if you like the big buttons when you maximize the window... :D

pilotferdi
13th June 2011, 05:12 PM
</frame_geometry>

I still have the fat title bar and thin borders. Any ideas why nothing changes. Yes I have logged in and out many times.

John.

Try changing the title_border and button_border box sizes, for example,

Quote:

and see what happens. :)

pilotferdi
14th June 2011, 02:54 AM
I believe I've tried that several times - with zero success. Will try it again. Won't be the first time I'm wrong when using Linux.

tyc

Maybe the following link will help:

http://fedorasolved.org/Members/bookwar/gnome-3-tips

bob
15th June 2011, 11:33 PM
Just a quick reminder guys. This Forum is about Guides & Solutions and, in particular, about the guides & solutions for Gnome 3 on this thread. Personal opinions pro or anti can be put into Fedora Focus or Wibble or Rants.

AceRoom
16th June 2011, 11:54 AM
The following link gives instructions on how to add an applet to control the music player for GNOME 3. Works pretty well.

The application is called: Gnome-shell-extension-Mediasplayer

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/soundmenu-like-gnome-shell-extension.html

The default one is Banshee so change it to Rhythmbox in the preferences once you install.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Also, gsettings is quite handy in customizing gnome-shell.

gsettings list-schemas
Will return the entries you can modify. And you can use
gsettings list-recursively to list what is under each schema.
I've used this for two things.

The first one is to restore the delete button in nautilus. Here's a pretty good howto on that:
http://www.khattam.info/howto-enable-delete-key-in-nautilus-3-fedora-15-2011-06-01.html

The second shows the seconds ;) in the clock at the top.
gsettings set org.gnome.shell.clock show-seconds true

You can also use it to show the date but you can do that using gnome-tweak-tool. In any case:

It has a lot of other options too, just needs some exploring ;)

----
Sorry, I think the show-date and the delete key were previously mentioned.

archimede
16th June 2011, 05:18 PM
Hi all.

Recently switched to F15 and I must say I like the new Gnome3. The only thing I really HATE so far is the Alt-Tab behaviour: thankfully the alternate-tab extension now works properly, so I'm back in business. ;)

I have of course some questions:

1) would it be possible to have icons instead of thumbnail previews when pressing Alt-Tab?
2) would it be possible to list only apps of the current workspace when pressing Alt-Tab?
3) I have a working wine app launcher (desktop configuration file): how can I add it to the dash?
4) how can I change the icon of an app in the dash?

Thanks for reading.

Alessandro

Edit: forgot to mention
5) in F13 there was a "Recent documents" (or something like that) under "Places": where can I find its F15 equivalent?

Edit2: MY APOLOGIES: I noticed only now that the forum is marked as No Questions. Can this be moved or should I post a new thread somewhere else?

pilotferdi
19th June 2011, 02:03 AM
(I hope this is not redundant)

There are two ways (that I know of) to remove the accessibility icon in the top right corner of the Gnome panel:

1. Locally (per user):
(http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1460585&postcount=17.

2. System-wide:
su -c "yum install gnome-shell-extension-remove-accessibility-icon"

Note the word "extension", not the plural "extensions". There are other "extension"-s that one may find useful:
yum list gnome-shell-extension-*
(or use Add/Remove Software, under "Applications", and search for gnome-shell-extension)

whyMe
21st June 2011, 06:33 AM
i found this bluetooth bug in fedora 15 GNOME 3 that troubles in bluetooth file tranfer.
u can't actually turn the visibility ON and hence none of the devices can see your system to transfer a file via bluetooth.
i just had to run these commands to sort out the problem after long "research"...
systemctl status bluetooth.service
sudo systemctl enable bluetooth.service
sudo systemctl start bluetooth.service
hope this helps.....:)

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

how to get rid of GNOME 3 recent items ......
when u press windows key and search for anything.......some recently used items too pop up and they may sometime really risk the privacy.....:Y
all you have to do is just delete this file--->
.local/share/recently-used.xbel
and then restarting computer removes recent items but they are again visiible......to help you again
could have been much simpler...:doh::doh:

bbneo
21st June 2011, 04:58 PM
Submit reply or preview post... only options I see? (Trying to cancel... apologies if posting is the only way out of this "quote" reply mode...)

Dan
21st June 2011, 05:18 PM
Hmmm.

Ok. Try clicking on my Signature links, then under the rules and tools links, try those to learn how to operate the forums. In the meantime, I'll delete the quote from the post above.

fpmurphy
21st June 2011, 05:21 PM
Admins, feel free to move this. I put it here because a lot of people working on GNOME Shell extensions probably read this topic.

There is a new project called SweetTooth (https://live.gnome.org/action/show/GnomeShell/SweetTooth) whose goal is to help improve GNOME3 extension infrastructure, and to try to reshape the user and developer stories.

The goals include:

Making it easy for users to find and install safe, approved extensions.
Make it easier for extension developers to build, test and distribute their extensions.
Start fleshing out a common extension API beyond what we have so far. This includes things like GSettings schemas for extensions,
a hook or common monkey-patch API, as well a support for importing from other files in the same extension.
Make it clear that extensions are third-party, and not created or supported by GNOME.

Here is the announcement email from gnome-shell-list:

As part of my work on SweetTooth[0], I'm planning on a bunch of
changes to make the user experience for installing, enabling and
disabling extensions better. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to break
some stuff unless someone can come up with a clever hack. These
changes are not set in stone, but they're what I'm hacking on
currently, and I'd like to discuss them to make sure I'm on the right
track. Extension developers, I'm talking to you:

* I want live extension enabling and disabling. The user experience
is "click a button on extensions.gnome3.org, it takes effect
immediately".

* I want to make it safer and more usable for developers to import
code and assets their extension directory.

* I want extensions to be smart about their dependencies. For
instance, the systemMonitor extension depends on an introspectable
GTop, which AFAIK is unreleased, and hasn't been packaged in F15. The
only clue users have that something has gone wrong is the Errors tab
in the LookingGlass.

Unfortunately, in order to do these things, I need your cooperation.
I'm going to break some stuff, and I'd like your involvement so that I
don't make a wrong decision which means another API break. I'd rather
break it all at once and do things right.

Let's tackle item 1:

== Enabling and Disabling ==

I'm going to remove the main() method, and replace it with a new system.

You still require one function: init(). It does everything the main()
function usually does, except it cannot change *any* Shell state. This
is here so that you can set up anything you need to, like gettext
silly shell actors. It's guaranteed to be called at most once per
shell session.

So, what's used to change the Shell UI? We introduce two new methods:
enable() and disable(). Here's some simple rules:

* The Shell will call init(), and then enable() if your extension is
enabled when the shell starts up.

* The Shell may then call disable() and enable() again during the
same session, but it should never call init() more than once, ever.

* The Shell will not call disable() if your extension is disabled at startup.

* Right now the Shell calls init() even for disabled extensions at
startup, but I may change that so that it calls init(), then enable()
at first enable. The simplest solution is to not rely on init() coming
at the start of the Shell session.

For those of you who would like something a bit more object-oriented,
you're in luck: init() can also return a state object. All that
requires is functions named "enable" and "disable" on that object, the
type doesn't matter nor do any other fields. The shell won't touch
that object except for calling 'enable()' or 'disable()' on it. If you
don't return anything (or return a false-y object), it's assumed that
enabl() and disable() are on the moduie itself. Here's a simple code
example: For lack of better terms, I'm calling these extensions
"stateful", and the module ones "stateless", even though that's a huge
lie: both have state.

Starting with an improved version of the stock "Hello, World!"
extension in the old system[1], we can build a new extension in one of
two ways:

1. We can simply rename the main() function to init(), and move the
line of code that adds the actor to the Shell to a new enable()
method, and add a disable() method that does the reverse.[2]

2. Or we can make the extension return an object that has enable()
and disable() functions.[3]

If you want your extension to be compatible for old versions of the
shell, thankfully, it's very easy: just write a main() that calls
init(), then enable(). For the extensions website, I may allow
so-called "legacy" extensions with a special method that restarts the
Shell, but it would break the user-experience a bit, and it's extra
code that I don't think would get used.

Checking out the code samples, you may notice an argument called
"helper". That's a cliff-hanger for next time, when I want to talk
about items 2 and 3. I'd like your feedback on the information I'd
provided so far, and any questions on SweetTooth, the web site, or the
modifications I'm making would be extremely appreciated.

If people have an interest in the future of GNOME Shell extensions and how they are handled, they need to get involved in this discussion.

mightymouse2045
30th June 2011, 03:34 PM

http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/gnome-3-extra-tips/188-change-login-background.html

This is a much easier way here:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=265990

1. open terminal
2. #su -
3. #xhost +
4. #sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-control-center
5. Click background and select your background
6. Logout and see your lovely new login background

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Can we get a sticky done that summarises all these different techniques and guides - because having this stuff makes all the difference with gnome3.

Scratch that I'm a bit silly for not looking at the top link - I linked to here from another post and didn't even look at the top there where it points to where all the stickies already are :P

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

The following link gives instructions on how to add an applet to control the music player for GNOME 3. Works pretty well.

The application is called: Gnome-shell-extension-Mediasplayer

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/soundmenu-like-gnome-shell-extension.html

The default one is Banshee so change it to Rhythmbox in the preferences once you install.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Also, gsettings is quite handy in customizing gnome-shell.

gsettings list-schemas
Will return the entries you can modify. And you can use
gsettings list-recursively to list what is under each schema.
I've used this for two things.

The first one is to restore the delete button in nautilus. Here's a pretty good howto on that:
http://www.khattam.info/howto-enable-delete-key-in-nautilus-3-fedora-15-2011-06-01.html

The second shows the seconds ;) in the clock at the top.
gsettings set org.gnome.shell.clock show-seconds true

You can also use it to show the date but you can do that using gnome-tweak-tool. In any case:

It has a lot of other options too, just needs some exploring ;)

----
Sorry, I think the show-date and the delete key were previously mentioned.

There is also dconf-editor a gui that allows you browse through them all

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Mainly the default is pretty good for me.
I also wanted two more things. I wanted another dock so I could have another place to add icons. So I am using Cairo. I thought about using tint2 but it wasn't what I needed and was to much like a Gnome 2 feel. I also wanted a weather app which comes with Cairo.

This little bit of text in particular "So I am using Cairo" - so simply put yet completely understated.

I just installed awn, tint2 and cairo - I quickly removed tint2 (light but for me as you put it - too much like gnome2), awn - quite nice, lots of features but too boxy and well I removed that just as quick.

Cairo - Freaking Fantastic - very polished, very user friendly, very sexy. It just fits with gnome3.

Thank you veeeeeeeeeery much for that tip - I have been playing with extensions and well now there's just no need.

xjonquilx
11th July 2011, 12:06 PM
I wrote a script to automatically maximize screen real estate in fullscreen mode on Gnome 3 in Fedora 15. It removes the title bar in full screen mode and installs an extension to auto hide the top bar.

http://xjonquilx.co.cc/2011/07/11/maximize-your-screen-real-estate-in-fedora-15/

Anyone who wants to test it would be appreciated. I wrote it for myself but figured someone out there may be able to use it also. :)

kellerman
14th July 2011, 12:52 PM
Just found this great Window List Extension
http://www.o2net.cl/gnome/windowlist.html
Some clicks dont work, but it's possible to switch trough all windows and there is no window grouping which i actually prefer (with tint2 too).
For this reason I use Tint2 (http://code.google.com/p/tint2/), but if you want to save space and place everything in one panel, then this is a very great solution.

And this firefox theme should make many people happy:
https://github.com/adwaita-firefox-team/adwaita-firefox

dust0r
11th August 2011, 08:12 PM
I LOVE Gnome3. The Shell is awesome and more powerful than EVER!! I've been trying to inset and add vlc to gnome-shell-mediasplayer extension!!!! Anyone have any suggestions or figured it out already??

cookman83
27th August 2011, 12:16 AM
Hello from me! I'm new in Fedora 15! (i used ubuntu 3 months) i have a problem with weather in the clock!
when i give in the terminal:
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
i take:
bash: ./autogen.sh: No such file or directory
what can i do?
thanks for the hepl!

StephenH
27th August 2011, 01:45 AM
Try the instructions here: http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/gnome-3-extra-tips/192-gnome-shell-weather-extension.html

You may be lacking one of the parts specified as needed for this to work.

cookman83
27th August 2011, 09:05 AM
Try the instructions here: http://www.dnmouse.org/autoten/gnome-3-extra-tips/192-gnome-shell-weather-extension.html

You may be lacking one of the parts specified as needed for this to work.
i fix it! i write in terminal
but i must write all the path
/home/cookman/gnome-shell-extension-weather/autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
thank you very much! :dance:

leigh123linux
27th August 2011, 12:37 PM
i fix it! i write in terminal
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usrbut i must write all the path
/home/cookman/gnome-shell-extension-weather/autogen.sh --prefix=/usrthank you very much! :dance:

You should cd to the source

cd /home/cookman/gnome-shell-extension-weather

cookman83
27th August 2011, 04:30 PM
i don't write "cd" i write /home/cookman/.... and it's ok! i hope i don't doing something wrong!

gerchok
2nd September 2011, 02:34 AM
Hello! Im also new to Fedora, it's been just a couple of weeks and it's already taken its place as my favourite linux distro... Its just freedom and power! ;)
Ive customized as much as ive been able to, but there're a couple of things i cant just figure out:
1st How do i change the *window* color?? I've been able to "change" the themes using gnome-tweak-tool but it only thouches the upper window bar and icons, but i want to replace the grayish tone windows (especially nautiluis) have, as ive seen in various theme images around the web.
And 2nd, I've got a huge problem with file type associations, I have to explicitly pick which app to open a file every time i open videos or documents, as abiword and vlc dont show up on the "open with" tab. Editing the file under /usr is way more than i can take... Any way to do this the easy way?
Thank you all in advance

Dutchy
2nd September 2011, 12:54 PM
You probably need to change the GTK or metacity/mutter/window-theme (I forgot which one it is exactly).
Go to the Deviantart Gnome 3 page, download some GTK and/or metacity themes.
Place them in ~/.themes and select them with Gnome-Tweak-Tool.
Optionally download some icon sets and put them in ~/.icons.

gerchok
3rd September 2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks, working on that right now!

xjonquilx
4th September 2011, 11:08 PM
If you haven't heard already, Global Menu (an application that originally ran in Ubuntu) is now available for use for other distributions. This application puts most GTK app's system menus in the top panel so you save some screen real estate.

I wrote a script to install Global Menu automatically. You can find the link to it here (http://xjonquilx.co.cc/2011/09/04/install-global-menu-in-fedora-15/).

Dangermouse
4th September 2011, 11:17 PM
If you haven't heard already, Global Menu (an application that originally ran in Ubuntu) is now available for use for other distributions. This application puts most GTK app's system menus in the top panel so you save some screen real estate.

I wrote a script to install Global Menu automatically. You can find the link to it here (http://xjonquilx.co.cc/2011/09/04/install-global-menu-in-fedora-15/).

Just a slight mistake on the line in red, (the gap)
#!/bin/bash
echo Install Global Menu app on Fedora 15. Please run as root or administrator
echo only.
echo Select an option.
OPTIONS="Install Quit"
select opt in $OPTIONS; do
if [ "$opt" = "Install" ]; then
echo Installing Global Menu...
yum install -y git vala-devel gtk3-devel gobject-introspection-devel gtk2-devel autogen automake autoconf intltool glibc-devel libtool
cd
mkdir -p globalmenu
cd globalmenu
wget http://gnome2-globalmenu.googlecode.com/files/gnome- globalmenu-0.9.alpha5.tar.bz2
tar -xvf gnome-globalmenu-0.9.alpha5.tar.bz2
git clone git://github.com/gnome-globalmenu/gnome-globalmenu.git
cd gnome-globalmenu
git checkout gnome-3
cp ../gnome-globalmenu-0.9.alpha5/src/{module.c,header.h,header-gtk2.h} ./src
autoreconf --force --install --verbose
make
make GTK2_MODULES_DIR=/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules GTK3_MODULES_DIR=/usr/lib/gtk-3.0/modules GLIB_COMPILE_SCHEMAS=/bin/true install
glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
elif [ "$opt" = "Quit" ]; then
echo Done
exit
else
echo bad option
fi
done

mightymouse2045
5th September 2011, 06:26 AM
Just note the changes below in blue to get this working correctly. The changes are to correct the two typos and adding some missing path variables. NOTE also that if you are running 32bit system then delete 64 after the 3 /lib64 path variables.

#!/bin/bash
echo Install Global Menu app on Fedora 15. Please run as root or administrator
echo only.
echo Select an option.
OPTIONS="Install Quit"
select opt in $OPTIONS; do
if [ "$opt" = "Install" ]; then
echo Installing Global Menu...
yum install -y git vala-devel gtk3-devel gobject-introspection-devel gtk2-devel autogen automake autoconf intltool glibc-devel libtool
cd
mkdir -p globalmenu
cd globalmenu
wget http://gnome2-globalmenu.googlecode.com/files/gnome-globalmenu-0.9.alpha5.tar.bz2
tar -xvf gnome-globalmenu-0.9.alpha5.tar.bz2
git clone git://github.com/gnome-globalmenu/gnome-globalmenu.git
cd gnome-globalmenu
git checkout gnome-3
cp ../globalmenu/gnome-globalmenu-0.9.alpha5/src/{module.c,header.h,header-gtk2.h} ./src
autoreconf --force --install --verbose
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=/usr/lib64
make
make GTK2_MODULES_DIR=/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/modules GTK3_MODULES_DIR=/usr/lib64/gtk-3.0/modules GLIB_COMPILE_SCHEMAS=/bin/true install
glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
elif [ "$opt" = "Quit" ]; then
echo Done
exit
else
echo bad option
fi
done

Also once you have done that you will need to make changes to the following file:

/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/GlobalMenu@globalmenu.org/metadata.json

Just delete what is in there and paste this in:

{
"shell-version": ["3.0"],
"version": "1.0",
"uuid": "GlobalMenu@globalmenu.org",
"name": "GlobalMenu",
"description": "Global Menu for Gnome 3.0",
"url": "http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu"
}

PS. It would be great if the menus were displayed directly in the gnome panel as opposed to having to click the name of the icon to get to the global menus.

Also the default colour scheme is not so brilliant you can change that in the /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/GlobalMenu@globalmenu.org/stylesheet.css file

AltGrendel
7th September 2011, 03:34 PM

This is how to change the login (gdm) background in G3, some what of a pain but heres how i did it.
The picture you want as background should be in /usr/share/backgrounds

su - Now enter these commands
su - gdm -s /bin/bash
dbus-launch and you will get an output similar to below (yours will be different numbers etc..)
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-ULWxloZAzI,guid=e19ddee8bb144a23eb550ba6000005d4
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=4347
Now re-enter the output putting export in front of it like below again your output will be different to mine

export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-ULWxloZAzI,guid=e19ddee8bb144a23eb550ba6000005d4
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=4347 Now to actually change the background, substituting the path to your picture
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/backgrounds/dangermouse/010.jpg"

Now when you restart/logout the login background should of changed..

I extended this a little bit so that the gdm user uses this bash script to randomly change the background using a cron job:

#!/bin/bash
ls /usr/share/backgrounds/images |sort -R |tail -1 |while read file; do
echo $file
`dbus-launch | sed "s/^/export /"`
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file:///usr/share/backgrounds/images/$file"
done

I have gdm set up to run it weekly. Works great.

StephenH
9th September 2011, 02:46 PM
After an excursion into XFCE, I have decided to try Gnome 3/Shell again. Recent updates appear to have resolved a couple of issues that forced the move to XFCE (I hope). However, there is one thing that prompted the move back to Gnome 3/Shell. That is, I really need an on-screen indicator for caps lock status (num and scroll lock are optional) for my Acer Aspire One 722 netbook which does not have an LED indicator to show me the status. There is an applet, lock-keys-applet, but it appears to be one that only works for Gnome 2.

Is there an equivalent extension that would provide this functionality for Gnome Shell much as gnome-shell-extension-cpu-temperature allows me to see the CPU temperature on the top bar (not as functional as the older Gnome 2 panel applet, but adequate enough for now). I am sure there are other netbook users with similar hardware who would appreciate such an extension.

zerin
24th October 2011, 05:33 PM
Also if anyone can show how to turn off the Window maximizing and tiling, for gnome 3, that would be awesome! I've looked many places but no clear way to turn it off.

pilotferdi
24th October 2011, 11:28 PM
Also if anyone can show how to turn off the Window maximizing and tiling, for gnome 3, that would be awesome! I've looked many places but no clear way to turn it off.

What do you mean by "Window maximizing and tiling"? Be more specific, please.

zerin
24th October 2011, 11:39 PM
What do you mean by "Window maximizing and tiling"? Be more specific, please.

Sorry about that, you know how when you drag a window to the top it maximizes? and when you drag it to the far edges it fills in half the screen? it's mentioned here http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet It's known as "tiling" in Windows 7, This is a feature found in Fedora 15, gnome 3 as well. Now normally it's cool, but it get's in the way, especially at work, when i have specially sized windows for my liking. I heard on another forum there is a setting in dconf editor to turn it off, but i could never find such thing, since they never mentioned where it was.

ashokharnal
30th October 2011, 11:07 AM
My view is that if so much tweak-solutions need to be learnt then only an expert can learn them. For a common man it would be advisable that GNOME itself provides a simple alternative to switch to the familiar Desktop and get on with the business on hand rather than first learn something new before one can get on further.

zerin
30th October 2011, 05:14 PM
Personally I feel gnome 3 is very usable overall. From Day 1. Customizing is just what makes it "yours" is all. :cool: I've been working with it since it came out and the small tweaks here and there are incremental, I don't need "all" the tweaks, simply the ones that matter to me. Gnome Shell (for me), required no new learning, everything just felt natural. :dance:

pilotferdi
2nd November 2011, 09:48 PM
I heard on another forum there is a setting in dconf editor to turn it off, but i could never find such thing, since they never mentioned where it was.

I didn't have too much time to research the issue, and thus I cannot give you a complete answer. Here is a hint: Since the dynamic motion happens when you use the composite form, I guess you can modify the properties you're looking for in the Gnome 3 theme you're using. If you use the default theme (Adwaita), the file to change is
/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml.
You need to
1. Be VERY careful when you change the file, else your G3 desktop becomes unusable in composite mode. I suggest you make a backup copy of the original before trying changes.
2. Make changes as root. The changes will apply to all users.

I'll come back with more information once I have some time to do more research.

Good luck!

fpmurphy
3rd November 2011, 02:31 AM
To turn off tiling, set desktop->gnome->shell->windows->edge_tiling to false and restart GS.

You can use gconf-editor to set it.

zerin
4th November 2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks man! that worked perfectly and was exactly what i was looking for. I was going about it the wrong way looking in dconf-editor, but once i installed gconf-editor, the option was there!

yasen101
19th November 2011, 08:16 PM
In order to restore the Compress option in the Nautilus context menu:

yum install file-roller-nautilus

:dance:

SchneiderIS
21st January 2012, 04:45 PM
My view is that if so much tweak-solutions need to be learnt then only an expert can learn them. For a common man it would be advisable that GNOME itself provides a simple alternative to switch to the familiar Desktop and get on with the business on hand rather than first learn something new before one can get on further.

I am in complete agreement. Gnome 3, to me, is a complete step back. The simple things that allow you to have the interface you are used to or even just to make it usable is missing. I have been trying to hack away for hours to just simply change the height of the title strip and still have no success. My install, a clean one, doesn't have the "Appearances" options anywhere which should be a UI 101.

To be honest, I wish I could just go back to F14 and be done with it. This change to F16 has sucked three weekends out of my life sofar.

Dan
21st January 2012, 05:00 PM
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=274611

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=272559

Or, LXDE is an excellent choice.

The bottom line is, we can either curse the darkness ... or flip on the (other) lights

SchneiderIS
21st January 2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Dan. I like the looks of it but unfortunately I have not been able to get it to work. All I get is the same old ugly Gnome 3.

Dan
21st January 2012, 09:12 PM
Hmmmm.

Which one? I gave three options. Whoops! Never mind. Just caught your post on the Cinnamon thread. Driver issues are buggers!

SchneiderIS
22nd January 2012, 12:56 AM
Cinnamon.

The bigger effort right now is to install the open source ati driver.

mcojettech737
24th January 2012, 07:48 PM
It would be really nice if there was an easy way to change Icon " Font Size" :)

Dutchy
1st July 2012, 11:39 PM
I was browsing the Gnome extensions site and stumbled upon this nifty Advanced Volume Mixer (https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/212/advanced-volume-mixer/) extension.
:dance:

droidhacker
17th July 2012, 08:14 PM
Ok, I'm one of those who initially REALLY HATED gnome-shell. Since then, however, I've managed to get it into working order.

PERFECT working order, such that it absolutely satisfies my needs.

I'm not going to go into the WHOLE setup to make it they way I like it, since obviously, everybody will like it different.

The final piece of the puzzle for me was in getting a properly functioning BOTTOM PANEL. Frippery Bottom Panel is a great extension, but there are a couple of problems with it. (1) it is themed in a blinding manner inconsistent with the upper panel, (2) it only goes on the FIRST MONITOR, not the second, and contains all the windows for BOTH.

I present a fixed bottom panel PAIR!

The theme is toned down to be more consistent with the upper panel, a duplicate panel is created on the second monitor, and each bottom panel only has an application list applicable to THAT monitor.

I have ONLY tested this with gnome 3.4 on F17. Take the two extensions and drop them in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/, be certain to disable or uninstall FRIPPERY BOTTOM PANEL (don't know what would happen with both installed, probably bad things...), and activate both of these extensions in the usual way (advanced settings --> extensions).

Update:
Much better now.
There were some significant inefficiencies in the previous version with respect to tracking windows across multiple monitors, and it was restricted specifically to two monitors.

This new one is just the "extension.js" file (extract from attachment), which you can drop into Frippery Bottom Panel.

Install frippery bottom panel, then place this modified extension.js into ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/Bottom_Panel@rmy.pobox.com/
** if you prefer the more subdued styling, also replace the stylesheet.css with the one attached.

Once it is in place, restart gnome-shell (alt-f2, "r").

This will create a bottom panel on EACH monitor that you have, however many that happens to be (including just one).

Hopefully, Ron Yorston (the author of the gnome "Frippery" extensions) will include these changes as an update -- I have been communicating with him.

Dutchy
20th July 2012, 03:42 PM
I've found some more nice extension.
Among them are the Maximus (https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/354/maximus/) extension (which removes the top bar of a windows when it is maximized) and the Window options (https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/353/window-options/) extention (which adds some generic options to the app menu).

Dutchy
20th August 2012, 03:04 PM
One more that complements the Maximus and Window Options extensions: Window Buttons (https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/426/window-buttons/) "Add minimize, maximize and close buttons to the panel"
https://extensions.gnome.org/static/extension-data/screenshots/screenshot_426.png