PDA

View Full Version : DSUB -> HDMI Shrinks picture on monitor

mjrice
10th May 2011, 05:06 AM
I've been using a DSUB connection between my Radeon HD 6850 graphics card and my LG (1920x1080) monitor. In this configuration the picture fills the entire screen.

I bought an HDMI cable months back and decide to test it. With nothing changed but the cable, the picture on my monitor has shrunk, now surrounded by black space.

In both cases, my computer reports screen resolution at a native (1920x1080).

I have a dual boot system (Windows 7 (god awful, still!)) and Fedora 14 (64-bit) and get the same shrunken picture there.

What up?

Michael

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

I poked around and found that Windows 7 has a underscan/overscan slider, which fixed the problem there.

Is there a similar fix for Linux?

--mr

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Will following the instructions for installing the RPMFusion driver for ATI cards (on leigh123linux) fix my HDMI problem?

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Went ahead and installed the RPMFusion driver for ATI, and corrected the underscan problem.

BUT got this message upon quitting Catalyst:

[michael@hostname ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@hostname ~]# amdcccle
Application asked to unregister timer 0x22000009 which is not registered in this thread. Fix application.
[root@hostname ~]#

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Michael

ladsy
26th May 2011, 11:02 PM
Hi, I have a HD 6850 Gigabyte and a LG monitor 1920*1080 Flatron W2753VC.

I was furious too with this problem.

Wit the same HDMI cable and same screen :
- The Flatron + the default graphic card of my Asus P5Q-EM was Okay on HDMI cable.
- The Flatron + HD6850 was reducing the image.

Read the documentation of the screen !!!
And you will see that the LG Flatron support HDMI only with peripherals such Bluray readers ... not Graphic Card :C .

Now, my configuration is Okay with a DVI-sub cable. And I reserve my HDMI cable for video :(

nothing else to do.

And if you have buy a hdmi cable just for a better video with your HD 6850 like me .... you can cry.

mjrice
27th May 2011, 01:45 AM
I fixed the problem on F14 by downloading the ATI RPMFusion drivers, which give you Catalyst on your menus. It has a slider to tweak underscan and overscan. But I just migrated to F15 and the RPMFusion install failed this time, on the last step before reboot. Fortunately the LIve CD install no longer has the underscan problem on my system (and I'm using the HDMI cable). I'll live with 2D for a few weeks and then try again.

Michael

Vanersborg Travel Photos - Genteng - Sao Joao dos Patos Photos on Instagram