PDA

View Full Version : Hungry anyone?

willieray
8th November 2004, 07:07 PM
I love to cook (and of course eat) good food. I know "good food" is subjective, and since i share other interests and likemindednesses (haha what a word) with team fedoraforum.org, i figure it'll be more likely that our subjective tastes will be similar (at least this is the experiment). So with no more ado:

What is (are) your favorite meal (s)?

Addendum: Don't be afraid to link to recipes too :D

Although i enjoy alot of different foods from alot of different places, my all time favorite is an Irish-American classic: Corned beef and cabbage. Man i love it! Wish I had two servings right now.... mmmmmmm......

sailor
8th November 2004, 07:26 PM
since becoming a Texan I have become very fond of BBQ and Mexican food (see photo in gallery :))
but my all time favorite dish is a big Ribeye Steak, baked potato (with the works) and for dessert and a big slice of Strawberry cheesecake...*drool*

BTW I do love corned beef and cabbage, but since I am the only one in the family I don't get it that often:(

Dog-One
8th November 2004, 07:51 PM
my all time favorite is an Irish-American classic: Corned beef and cabbage. Man i love it! Wish I had two servings right now.... mmmmmmm......That's a St. Patty's Day tradition around here--can't get my wife to make it more than once a year though. :(

I think my favorite is still Spagetti. I can enjoy it anytime, anyplace and I usually stuff myself until I'm just about sick. :D

radu5er
8th November 2004, 08:00 PM
NOW we're talking about something I really understand!

Fried Chicken (what else would you expect about a boy from Kentucky?), mashed potatoes, green beans, cornbread, and iced tea.

Australian cooking is good but I also miss a few other things...biscuits and gravy for breakfast is one. You say that here and people look at you as if you've lost your mind :D .

Well, now I'm going to have my breakfast here...Vegimite and toast. Mmmmm...

Sorry about the iced tea thing Ug.

Optimistic
8th November 2004, 09:05 PM
Well, I'm a big fan of various cheeses--strong cheeses at that: Gorgonzola, Raclette, Goat Cheese, Feta, mmm. I also like bread and pasta--not that awful American bread either--dark, thick German bread or that light fluffy French bread with the hard crust. I also like Gyros, and Falaffle.
==============================
Here is my recipe for Pasta with a Gorgonzola cream sauce (I'll speak roughly so as to not confuse those who don't understand these strange American measurements--that and I don't know what they would be anyway I cook without recipes mostly).

1. In a sauce pan fry up some sweet onion and maybe a little leak with some olive oil.

2. Mix in some heavy whipping cream with roughly an equal part gorgonzolla (more if you like), melt.

3. Add in some parmesan to taste.

4. Add a little black pepper, tiny bit salt, maybe a little Oregeno--but certainly a tiny bit of Rosemary (no sauce is complete without a little Rosemary).

5. Stir vigorously over low heat until sauce thickens (you can always add more cheese to speed up the process).

6. Pour over choice of pasta.

7. If you have sauce left over chill it overnight--it will form a spreadable cheese sauce which is good on bread.

Enjoy!

Uhlix
10th November 2004, 04:11 AM
a good steak and some mashed patatos with home made gravey yumah.

my second choice would be some spicey buffolo stype chicken tendors/wings, also good as a sandwhich.

with a glass of coke :)

jcstille
10th November 2004, 06:02 AM
Now see you need some real BBQ. Here in NC, what you do is you go buy a pig. You kill it, then you slowly turn it over a fire for 4 hours or more (depending on the fire/taste/general style) and you get some good vinegar based barbeque sauce and eat away. None of this sutff where they think BBQ is hot dogs and hamburgers, and no tomato based sauces. (Thats from being in Eastern NC). You also need a good ole jug of sweet tea.

Hermes
10th November 2004, 06:13 AM
Hot dish, walleye, spam, and all the other good stuff that comes with living here in MinnesOOta

bob
10th November 2004, 01:33 PM
A strong dark beer, perhaps Lake Placid's Ubu Ale http://www.ubuale.com/ or Saranac's Black & Tan http://www.saranac.com/ or a hearty Belgian ale, such as Ommegang or Hennepin http://www.ommegang.com/ .... MMMMMmmmmm....
Oh yeah, a burger and rings too.

Psquared
10th November 2004, 01:56 PM
Blueberry pancakes, a well-done hamburger with steak fries, BBQ (Corky's here in Memphis is OK) as described by jcstille - vinegar and pepper - with lots of coleslaw and baked beans (preferably with onions) fresh articokes boiled with garlic, then grilled over charcoal to finish, and served with a dip made from a mix of blue cheese and mayonaise - warmed. Grilled asparagus (the thin ones not the fat ones) and a medium rare filet mignon.

Oh, and for desert - Cafe-latte-chocolate cheesecake (Macaroni Grill) or chocolate souffle with raspberry sauce.

Almost forgot the drink. With BBQ its Budwiser, with the hamburger its iced tea, with the filet I'll take a glass of Cabernet. :D

Psquared
10th November 2004, 02:00 PM
I've also got a recipe for Salmon that will knock your socks off. However, I haven't fixed it lately because I don't care for all this farm-grown salmon where they add the color. It's hard to find real Salmon anymore.

willieray
10th November 2004, 05:50 PM
Now see you need some real BBQ. Here in NC, what you do is you go buy a pig. You kill it, then you slowly turn it over a fire for 4 hours or more (depending on the fire/taste/general style) and you get some good vinegar based barbeque sauce and eat away. None of this sutff where they think BBQ is hot dogs and hamburgers, and no tomato based sauces. (Thats from being in Eastern NC). You also need a good ole jug of sweet tea.

I just recently moved back to southern california from hoboken, NJ and NYC. A friend of mine there was originally from north cackilacky and made mustard/vinegar bbq pulled pork samwiches that were, at the very least, incredible. mmmmmmmm...... his barbeques ruled. Come this summer, i think my trip back will mysteriously coincide with Dangerous Lee Long's bbq.

Uhlix
11th November 2004, 12:50 AM
BTW reading this thread at work sucks...i get hungry everytime i read it :)

Optimistic
11th November 2004, 02:00 AM
I've also got a recipe for Salmon that will knock your socks off. However, I haven't fixed it lately because I don't care for all this farm-grown salmon where they add the color. It's hard to find real Salmon anymore.

Move to Michigan. My dad says that they are catching steelhead off the pier on the Lake Michigan side with spawn bags. Steelhead are just about as good as Salmon--some say they are even better. I'm stuck at school down here in Missouri so I'm hurtin' for some fresh fish.

willieray
13th January 2005, 07:26 PM
One thing I missed trememdously while living on the East coast was In N Out Burger. They are the original drive thru and serve only hamburgers and fries. The Double Double rules as any one who's had one could attest to. Only problem is they aren't franchise and are only as far east as Las Vegas and Phoenix. I used to make anyone picking me up from the airport head there immediately upon my arrival in So Cal. mmmmmmmmm..... I think i know where i'm going for lunch :D

Mat
13th January 2005, 07:41 PM
basically slices of bread with slices of sausage on it...

it's so easy to do and you won't need to cook after boring lectures... :)

Mat

carlc
14th January 2005, 05:45 AM
I love Chinese food, especially sesame chicken. If I am not eating Chinese, I usually go for Japanese or Mexican

harlequin
14th January 2005, 08:10 AM
Japanese food (Karaga Chicken, Yakiniku Beef), Italian (Ravioli, Lasange), Stews. If it tastes good, I'll eat it. ;)

backroger
14th January 2005, 08:35 AM
hmmm...japanese...i'm starving already.

Japanese food (Karaga Chicken, Yakiniku Beef), Italian (Ravioli, Lasange), Stews. If it tasteds good, I'll eat it. ;)

dickinsd
14th January 2005, 04:29 PM
Man there are some tasty sounding meals there.

Well I got to be honest, I like food, so find it pretty hard to pick a favourite.

Probably something like a nice good old Sunday Roast.

Some Roast Beef, roast potatos, Yorkshire puds, mash and all the veg - I can usually sqeeze enough on my plate to be unwilling to eat a desert.

I really like pasta, burgers, baked potatos and curries as well (not all at once though ...

sweet meals man theres far too many nice sweet meals to write hear - basic rule as long as there is not too much sugar, or too much chocolate in it, then I'll probably love it.

Dave

grnchile
15th January 2005, 06:15 AM
Anything with green chile in it. More is better.

pigpen
15th January 2005, 10:08 AM
Green Thai Curry... one of my all time favs http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=hot+green+thai+curry&btnG=Suche&meta=
EXTRA HOT! :D

willieray
4th February 2005, 11:24 PM
A strong dark beer, perhaps Lake Placid's Ubu Ale http://www.ubuale.com/ or Saranac's Black & Tan http://www.saranac.com/ or a hearty Belgian ale, such as Ommegang or Hennepin http://www.ommegang.com/ .... MMMMMmmmmm....
Oh yeah, a burger and rings too.

I'm with you wholeheartedly there Bob. Ever try Blue Moon? Seems to be somewhat easy to find around (Black Bear pub in Hoboken NJ has it on tap, and i can find it in big liquor stores in so cal). Great belgian white ale. mmmmmm, gonna hunt some down tonite and a nice fonseca or helix maduro cigar ;)

WAY too late to post a response of my own to you, so I'll just edit yours instead :D Yeah, Blue Moon isn't at all a bad beer - hefeweizen style - nice lemon flavor and great on a warm summer evening. - Bob

Webby
4th February 2005, 11:56 PM
Being from SW Louisiana, nothign can beat a nice shrimp and crawfish gumbo.... other than more shrimp and crawfish gumbo ;)

greatscot
5th February 2005, 04:30 AM
You all are making me hungry. I am picking up the phone and ordering my favourite: Canadian Bacon and Pineapple pizza.
Oh yeah, gonna need a beer with that :D

tashirosgt
5th February 2005, 05:46 AM
I may not agree with jcstille's directions but it would be good to have some Eastern style vinegary barbeque, chopped pork , with slaw. The Western style is smokey and sweet -good but a little monotonous.

jimispier
8th February 2005, 08:10 AM
I nice big lobster tail. With a nice huge 16oz steak cooked medium. Crab legs, and of course either garlic mashed potatoes, or a baked potatoe with everything..
and a nice zenfindel or merlot to wash it down with..

roolegion
8th February 2005, 12:44 PM
Well, since I am allergic to all things that breathe water, I must admit that the majority of these dishes do not turn me on. So, to illustrate to y'all about the true wonders of the cooking world, let me introduce you to a true Aussie invention (meaning, that it came from a friend of a friend and then to my mother) :

Porcupines :

1. Mince meat (i.e. ground beef in the USA), rolled into small balls about the size of a golf ball, with some uncooked rice mixed with it.

2. Slightly cook these meat balls in a frying with a small amount of oil, just enought to cook the outside.

3. Boil up a huge pot of spaghetti (just for you Dog-One), till it is about half cooked.

4. Drain the fat from the meat balls, placing them on that soaking up the oil paper.

5. Grab two tins of tomatoe soup (or one large one). Drain the majority of the water from the spaghetti and pour in the tomatoe soup.

6. Add the meat balls.

7. Stir and let it simmer - the soup will finish cooking the spaghetti and the meatballs, as well as absorbing the flavour. Add water to adjust the thickness of the soup - it should be fairly thick though.

8. When spaghetti is cooked to taste, turn it off and leave it sit for about 30 minutes - this is so it cools down and really soaks up the goodness.

9. Put on plate and drape with grated cheese of choice.

For dessert :

10. Hot Apple Pie, smothered in cold whipped cream ... mmmmmmmmmmm ! :)

sailor
8th February 2005, 04:01 PM
Chicken Enchiladas in Mole (enchiladas de pollo en mole)
Shiner Boch beer....
mole is a sauce made with chile pasilla and bitter chocolate it is sooo goood!!!

since there seems to be alot of seafood lovers another favorite of mine is
Grilled Tuna in Tequila Pico sauce...it is a nice grilled tuna steak (rare) with a spicey tequila and red pepper sauce...put it all on top of fresh fettacine

leadgolem
19th April 2007, 04:54 PM
Slow bbqed baby back ribs, asparagus suateded in butter, mashed potatoes with green onions and sour cream mixed in.

RupertPupkin
19th April 2007, 07:41 PM
Lobster. I could eat that every meal, every day. Add a side of rice (pilaf or wild grain), and sweet corn on the cob (squeeze a lemon on it then roll it in cayenne pepper...awesome!), and that's my perfect meal. I also like salmon, swordfish, giant shrimp, tamales (the real kind that take 5+ hours to make, not the canned ones!), lasagne, spaghetti with italian sausage, arnaki pilafi (Greek lamb dish, in a tomato sauce over rice pilaf...heavenly!), lamb chops, prime rib, rabbit (yes, rabbit!), enchiladas, potato pancakes.

I'm not a big dessert eater, but if given the choice I'd go for flan, rhubarb pie, canolli, or rice pudding.

To drink I prefer skim milk or grapefruit juice.

Wayne
20th April 2007, 03:24 AM
This is a simple dish that I knock up for my kids sometimes:

1kg joint of beef (approx)
I onion, sliced
400ml dark beer or stout (approx but NOT Guinness)
1 heaped teaspoon English mustard (more if you like)
2/3 bay leaves
Veggies of choice
Salt and pepper
Flour
Garlic clove (crushed or sliced)
Oil for frying
Gravy Master seasoning (less than a teaspoon. Optional)
French bread for wiping up the sauce

Prepare the beef as you like. I cut it into steak-like slices but cubed is good too.

Put the meat into a large mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper, turning it over by hand. Add enough flour to coat each slice of meat.

Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the crushed garlic clove. Fry each piece of meat to seal it. and put it in a stock pot with the sliced onion. Pour in the beer and start to simmer. Add the bay leaves, mustard and
season to taste. Simmer for about an hour until the meat is tender. Toward the end add the veggies (I used string beans, baby sweet carrots and pre-boiled potatoes. Brussels sprouts are great if you can get them!) Add the Gravy Master if used and check seasoning.

Wayne

Dan
20th April 2007, 03:50 AM
... rabbit (yes, rabbit!) ... . My God, man! Bunnies?! You eat cute little fuzzy floppy eared bunnies? <..:eek:..>

Me too. Best slow cooked in a covered dish in the oven, with slivered almonds and carrots, and marinated in Teryaki sauce! <..:p..>

If prepared properly, it looks a lot like chicken ... until you bite into a kneecap.

As dense as some sensitive (read: susceptible) folks can get, you'd be surprised how many people get squeemish because they instinctively know that a chicken just shouldn't have kneecaps!

Dan

<..>

ibbo
20th April 2007, 12:26 PM
Fish n Chips,
Chiken Tika or other curry dish,
Spicy beef Burrito's (hmmmmmmm) with guack n sour cream (and many other mexican dishes like stuffed peppers)
Bangers n mash
Salt n Pepper onions with chilli and some chicken or such if you wish (hmmmmmm)
Ibbo's home made pie n mash with gravy (hmmmmmm)
BBQ's never go amis but large amounts of ale are required.
Corn beef ash or any other type of stew
Any kind of roast with home made Yorkshire pudding and onion gravy (hmmm)
I like compo rations too (some things you just cannot forgett like cheese possesed)
Jerk Chicken with salt n pepper onion (mouth watering eye streaming stuff).
Any kind of fish

This list is getting long so I will end by saying i detest sprouts and cut it off (even if I can get them down).

Ibbo

sailor
20th April 2007, 09:58 PM
Fine! now I can't eat rabbit anymore...all I think about is cute little bunny kneecaps...sheesh :p

A while back there was a fast food resturant here in San Antonio that sold rabbit...it was called the Rapid Rabbit. I don't think it was open for very long. There still are some diners south of the city that still sell rabbit plates...I like it fried myself. :)
I made Hasenfeffer once...but no one would touch it. It is rabbit that is put in brine with spices (kinda like corned beef). then it is braised in a pot with onions and other aromatics...and served with sourcream gravy. I didn't think it was all that bad :)

ordinary
25th April 2007, 08:32 PM
I like lots of different cusines. Among my favorites are good Mexican or Tex-Mex; rare, thick T-bone and potato; authentic Korean; Maine lobster; Maryland crab; clams; Gulf shrimp; good Thai, Alabama style BBQ (pork, chicken, frog legs), Indian curry (although I don't know how authentic); authentic Chinese; American pseudo-Chinese; catfish & hushpuppies; French Country cusine; and others. But...

But, I live for pinto beans, fresh tomato, green onions, hot pepper relish, cornbread, and iced tea.

As much as I like that other stuff, I could live without it. It would be tough to live without beans and cornbread, though.

Curitiba Travel Photos on Instagram - Douala - Onitsha Instagram Photos -