PDA

View Full Version : Distribution recommendation

mip
8th November 2004, 10:16 AM
I have a 400Mhz laptop with 64Mb of RAM and a 4Gb hard drive which a friend has given to me to revive for them. It previously ran Windiows 98. I looking for a modern distribution which I can install on this machine so that my friend and use Openoffice and surf the web.

I tried installing Suse personal 9.1 but the installer complained about the lack of memory. When I tried to activate the swap space I encountered errors.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

imdeemvp
8th November 2004, 10:19 AM
Vector linux is a light distro for older pc's. More info here at www.distrowatch.com

mip
8th November 2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

woland
8th November 2004, 01:59 PM
gentoo can be tuned to work very well with older machines. previous linux experience is really required though as the installation can prove difficult

mip
8th November 2004, 03:29 PM
I'd thought about Gentoo but I don't know a lot about it. Think I'll see how I get on with Vecor first.

inha
9th November 2004, 07:17 PM
gentoo can be tuned to work very well with older machines. previous linux experience is really required though as the installation can prove difficult

if you can read and type it wont. the gentoo handbook covers pretty much everything and there aren't many questions left unanswered if you browse the rest of the documentation and the forums.

it's just timeconsuming. especially on an older computer.

ilja
9th November 2004, 07:26 PM
400 mhz laptop, I think it will take a week if you are going to do all 3 stages. Try vector linux http://www.vectorlinux.com/ it is a very light slackware distribution.

Sniffer
10th November 2004, 04:43 PM
Yeah, Ilja is right...i have installed from a stage 3 and took me 3hours in a 1300mhz

In a stage one took me one day with everything tuned up......compiling everything.

But is a good experience at least to learn :)

Phnom Penh - Kano Travel Photos - Bhubaneshwar -