PDA

View Full Version : Hi honey I'm home!

michaelfischer
7th April 2011, 12:33 AM
I started using Fedora with FC1, and stayed until FC4 before switching to Ubuntu where I've been until now. I'd been compiling Gnome-Shell, and using it as my desktop for a few months and I thought to myself, "Hey, I'll give Unity a try by installing Ubuntu 11.04!" and that's when it happened.

I tried using Unity, I really did. It's a train wreck. It has global menus everywhere, except where it doesn't. It has what amounts to a forced Avant Window Navigator dock but without all of the actual functionality of Avant Window Navigator. Unit's dock bar is always on the left, except for when it isn't. Where the dock materializes appears to depend on what app opens in what screen position. Finding applications should be the same in GS and Unity in theory, in practice however, Unity doesn't do it well and what it doesn't do it does slowly. Panels? Oh Unity still uses panels except for the parts that won't fit. Unity is crude, and intensely hackish.

So, you've already perceived that I'm a rocket scientist right? Being a glutton for punishment I thought, hey I'll just install F15a1 on my laptop and use it as I've always used my production machine. Everything worked. Everything worked well. Sure, I had to set up a pptp using the terminal, and I haven't had to do that in years but IT WORKED! It's damn fast on my Dell m1330, and as of today's updates Network Mangler has a gui for VPN setup. For alpha quality software it is perfectly stable enough for me to use in production. I wanted to congratulate the Fedora community and developers for making a fine distribution again. I'm back.... I'll probably volunteer to help the Fedora booth at OLF this year. Now can anyone help me get rid of about 20 Ubuntu case badges that I won't need anymore?

sonoran
7th April 2011, 12:39 AM
With GNOME Shell and Unity et. al. the Linux distro and DE world is beginning to resemble a game of musical chairs.
Welcome Back.

bob
7th April 2011, 12:39 AM
Moved F15 development. & Welcome Back!

michaelfischer
7th April 2011, 12:45 AM
I know right? Eventually the music will stop I hope.

Spain - Iran Travel Photos on Instagram - Karaj -