PDA

View Full Version : gnome-shell + nvidia blob = slow?

katastrophal
25th March 2011, 04:25 PM
Anyone else performance problems with the nvidia blob and gnome-shell? Switching to the Overview is extremely slow (just about 5 fps). opening the status tray as well.

With nouveau drivers it's pretty fast and useable, but well... it's nouveau.

on a sidenote: suspend working for you with the nvidia blob (again: working perfectly with nouveau here)?

sc4bbk
30th March 2011, 01:08 AM
Played a bit with all the updates for F15 as of today. GNOME-Shell with the blob seems fine. Won't say it's speedy but it isn't slow either.

Didn't check the fps. How do you see it?

BTW suspend is working

lakerssuperman
30th March 2011, 04:27 PM
I am running F15 fully updated with the NVIDIA proprietary driver. The Activities animation is extremely slow, as is the system dock at the bottom of the screen. Window fading also feels a bit slow with this driver. I would use nouveau but it doesn't seem to vsync and it hard locks my desktop randomly. At least with the NVIDIA driver my computer stays usable even if it is a little jerky currently.

twohot
31st March 2011, 06:34 AM
I am running F15 fully updated with the NVIDIA proprietary driver. The Activities animation is extremely slow, as is the system dock at the bottom of the screen. Window fading also feels a bit slow with this driver. I would use nouveau but it doesn't seem to vsync and it hard locks my desktop randomly. At least with the NVIDIA driver my computer stays usable even if it is a little jerky currently.

Its been like this for months ... even in the days of 269.xxx etc. Gnome-shell is sweet with nouveau but you know nouveau when it comes to serious 3D graphics. With nvidia blob, its give and take ... today its sweet, tomorrow its naughty. Its a test on the users tolerance:p

lakerssuperman
1st April 2011, 03:15 AM
It was a little better before the last round or two of updates. Sometimes the animations would slow down but other times it would be extremely fast. Now it is slow regardless. I would run the nouveau driver if not for the hard locking. This is on my laptop so I don't really need to have max 3d acceleration on this machine and nouveau would fit the bill for most tasks.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

FYI, after today's updates to the X server and Gnome Shell the speed and smoothness seems to have returned. Gnome Shell is really shaping up to be very nice.

vorcigernix
2nd May 2011, 07:35 AM
I have similar problem, but nouveau was even slower :-/
Might be my old nVidia Corporation NV44 [Quadro NVS 285]

eagleton
2nd May 2011, 09:17 AM
With an Nvidia 7600GT, nouveau seems much snappier than the proprietary driver.

katastrophal
2nd May 2011, 09:49 AM
the driver update a while ago fixed this for me. Suspend is still broken though, which is quite annoying, because it is the default behaviour in gnome-shell. got to change this with the tweak-tool some day.

Kagoshima-shi - Turin - Jamaica Travel Photos -