PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] no panels or gnome-shell

andrewthomas
15th February 2011, 07:41 PM
For the last couple of weeks, I can only use KDE.

When I load gnome, I just get my desktop background and nothing else.

I tried to add gnome-terminal to startup-applications, but it just flashes on the screen and immediately closes.

I even tried to install cairo-dock & cairo-dock-plug-ins but that doesn't load either.

tox
15th February 2011, 09:21 PM

I tried to add gnome-terminal to startup-applications, but it just flashes on the screen and immediately closes.

I even tried to install cairo-dock & cairo-dock-plug-ins but that doesn't load either.

have you downloaded TC2 DvD and update from that

linuxdork
15th February 2011, 09:32 PM
For this fix you would have re-apply all your gnome customizations but this always works for me when gnome acts psyco.
Rename your .gnome2, .gconf and .gconfd configuration folders then try to log into gnome again and you should get a stock gnome interface.

$ mv .gnome2 .gnome2-backup
$ mv .gconf .gconf-backup
$ mv .gconfd .gconfd-backup

karo1170
15th February 2011, 09:42 PM

Do you have gnome-panel installed?

Regards
karo

andrewthomas
16th February 2011, 06:29 AM
Do you have gnome-panel installed?
Regards
karo
Yes. This install began as a F12 install. I never even installed KDE on this partition until recently.
For this fix you would have re-apply all your gnome customizations but this always works for me when gnome acts psyco.
Rename your .gnome2, .gconf and .gconfd configuration folders then try to log into gnome again and you should get a stock gnome interface.

$ mv .gnome2 .gnome2-backup
$ mv .gconf .gconf-backup
$ mv .gconfd .gconfd-backup
This is the first thing that I tried. I even created a new user, no luck.
have you downloaded TC2 DvD and update from that
I may eventually resort to this, but I think that I will stick with it for a bit longer.

tox
16th February 2011, 06:35 AM
check this thread out http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=258753&page=2 GoinEasy9 install TC2 from DvD but enabled the particular repo's during install which worked for him,

Raphos
16th February 2011, 12:54 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem : just the desktop background and nothing else using gnome-shell.

Another problem was that Yum was unable to update some packages for gnome (dependencies error).

I started in init3 removed gnome-shell and gnome-desktop3 (or something with desktop3) and re-installed them directly (without any dependencies error).

Reboot, and gnome-shell worked.

GoinEasy9
16th February 2011, 05:52 PM
I came up with no panels also, but the app causing the problem was mutter. I'm waiting for koji to offer a newer version.

andrewthomas
18th February 2011, 03:59 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem : just the desktop background and nothing else using gnome-shell.

Another problem was that Yum was unable to update some packages for gnome (dependencies error).

I started in init3 removed gnome-shell and gnome-desktop3 (or something with desktop3) and re-installed them directly (without any dependencies error).

Reboot, and gnome-shell worked.

Yeah, once I removed gnome-shell, gnome-desktop3, evolution-data-server.

I was able to update a bunch of packages.

I did also temporarily enable the f15 updates-testing then I after installing some packages I disabled it and did a distro-sync.

Before I did the distro-sync, my cairo-dock was working, but once I got rid of the updates-testing packages it died.

I am now using jhbuild to build gnome-shell myself, but it has only made it through 7 of 34 packages as of yet.

tox
18th February 2011, 04:07 AM
Yeah, once I removed gnome-shell, gnome-desktop3, evolution-data-server.

I was able to update a bunch of packages.

I did also temporarily enable the f15 updates-testing then I after installing some packages I disabled it and did a distro-sync.

Before I did the distro-sync, my cairo-dock was working, but once I got rid of the updates-testing packages it died.

I am now using jhbuild to build gnome-shell myself, but it has only made it through 7 of 34 packages as of yet.

remember if your using JHBUild to build Gnome3 report the Bugs to Gnome Bugzilla, not fedora bugzilla

andrewthomas
18th February 2011, 07:01 PM
Finally, gnome-shell is working.

Ijebu-Ode Travel Photos - Chon Buri Photos on Instagram - Kanash Photos on Instagram