PDA

View Full Version : Fedora doesnt know its on a laptop

phillip
26th October 2004, 08:32 PM
Hi, first time making a serious effort to use linux, so pleas bear with me :)
I have a compaq evo n1000v running fedora 2.6.8-1.521 dual booting with xp which installed fine, netwotk works fine, even my wifi.
Only one annoying thing. It doesnt know its a laptop! No littlle battery icon down in the bottom corner. just dies if i leave it running for a while. I did some checking of the forums here, and saw there should be a laptop-mode.txt file being used, but i didnt find that in the relevant directory.
Im not clueless like this normally, but suppose we all are when it comes to linux first!

thanks for any help.

ilja
26th October 2004, 08:38 PM
I don't own a Laptop. so I can't help exactly, but there is a great site for Linux on Laptops, maybe it helps : http://www.linux-laptop.net/

otis2003
26th October 2004, 08:41 PM
If you're using the Gnome desktop, there is an applet that shows you the battery status. I run it on a Compaq Presario 915ca laptop. There is still only experimental support for sleep, suspend to disk, and that sort of thing.

To enable various applets, right click on the gnome bar and hit "Add". You'll see quite a few things you can add such as the battery status, weather applet, etc.

phillip
26th October 2004, 08:53 PM
thanks to both of you, browsing that site now, and got the battery applet thing on now too. never even saw that bit before :)

Port Harcourt - Wooster Photos - Huangyan